Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Simple oil question....really!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:47 PM
JohnC88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple oil question....really!

I need to take my bike in for the 1,000 mile service soon. BeforeI spend my whole life learning the religion of oil I'd like some simple advice.

I want to use synthetic. I'm fine with the dealer using SYN3 for now. But do I want this in the motor, tranny, and primary? Or only two of three or ????? If not in all three, what goes where keeping in mind I will (for now) be using HD products and that all three are replaced at 1,000 mile service.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Simple oil question....really!

You'll find everyone has a different opinion.
My bike is in the shop as we speak, getting the 1,000 mile service done. I took my own oil:

Mobil V-twin synthetic for engine and primary
Mobil synthetic 75/90 for trans

It's my understanding that pretty much any old oil would be ok in the primary, but what the heck, I was already buying the Mobil.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
jetsled
Intermediate

Simple advise.

If your a syn guy there are better syns than HD. What ever you use I would only use it in the tranny and engine, not in the primary. Me, after years with general aviation (air cooled just like HD) I stick with dino oil and change at 2500-3000 motor, 5000 tranny,2500 primary to get the clutch crap out. I believe changing the oil often is more important than the DINO or SYN debate

Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jetsled

I believe changing the oil often is more important than the DINO or SYN debate
I think you may be right. I'm going with the SYN because of the (perceived?) cooling benefit. As everyone knows, the 07s run pretty hot.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

But do I want this in the motor, tranny, and primary?
Definately NOT in the trans, use a quality gear lube in there.

In the primary, it's overkill, any 10/30 or 10/40 oil without friction modifyers will be fine in there, nothing fancy at all.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

john, the cooling benefit is not just perceived, it is actual. Compared to the dino that comes supplied in the bike from the factory (CVO models excepted) synthetic oil does run cooler (less friction?).

The big benefit, however, is the syn's ability to withstand higher temperatures before it begins to oxydize (break down thermally). Once heated beyond it's breakdown threshold, oil does NOT recover its lubricating characteristics once it cools down. It is, literally, cooked!

EZ

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnC88

I need to take my bike in for the 1,000 mile service soon. BeforeI spend my whole life learning the religion of oil I'd like some simple advice.

I want to use synthetic. I'm fine with the dealer using SYN3 for now. But do I want this in the motor, tranny, and primary? Or only two of three or ????? If not in all three, what goes where keeping in mind I will (for now) be using HD products and that all three are replaced at 1,000 mile service.

Thanks.
If your set on sticking with Harley brandproducts, the 07 model manual says to use Formula+ in the primary and the trany, you can use the Syn3 in the motor with no problems but Harley is not recommending it in the 6 speed tranys in the manual.

I have an 07 Road King and use the Amsoil SVG 75/90 synthetic gear oil in the trany and the Amsoil MCV 20/50 syntheticmotorcycle oilin the primary and engine, this combo works great on my 07.

Best of luck to you, the sythectic oils are the way to go...

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: EZ2Rider

john, the cooling benefit is not just perceived, it is actual. Compared to the dino that comes supplied in the bike from the factory (CVO models excepted) synthetic oil does run cooler (less friction?).

The big benefit, however, is the syn's ability to withstand higher temperatures before it begins to oxydize (break down thermally). Once heated beyond it's breakdown threshold, oil does NOT recover its lubricating characteristics once it cools down. It is, literally, cooked!

EZ
Well, I did tend to belive it does help the bike run cooler.That really is my main reason for wanting to run SYN.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:13 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Bill G

Thanks.
If your set on sticking with Harley brandproducts, the 07 model manual says to use Formula+ in the primary and the trany, you can use the Syn3 in the motor with no problems but Harley is not recommending it in the 6 speed tranys in the manual.

I have an 07 Road King and use the Amsoil SVG 75/90 synthetic gear oil in the trany and the Amsoil MCV 20/50 syntheticmotorcycle oilin the primary and engine, this combo works great on my 07.

Best of luck to you, the sythectic oils are the way to go...

Take Care,
Bill G
Thanks Bill. It isn't that I'm so set on HD products, just that I haven't really had time to research all the other options and the bike needs to go in probably next week. They did tell me I could bring my own. Sounds like the motor is the only place I should consider deviating from the HD products.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 PM
SMT
Tourer

Thanks.
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50 for engine and primary and Mobil 1 75/140 for the transmission.

Without a doubt the best combo for your 2007 HD.

"Just my opinion" but I'm right![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Simple oil question....really!