Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil cooling

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:44 AM
TnT8204
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooling

Does any one know anything about a "Genuine H.D." oil cooler that just slips over your oil filter ? They call it the "cool collar" Harley says it "will show a drop of 21 degrees on a 70 degree day at 55 M.P.H."! That sounds pretty good! Maybe too good ? What it is , it's an aluminium heat sink that slips onto your Genuine H.D. oil filter. 'can't leak ! You can slip it off when it gets cold !..Does it really work ? I've seen them for as little as $35

Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: oil cooling

When stuff like that sounds too good to be true...it usually is. A 21 degree drop is pretty dramatic for some piece of metal that relies on the heat transfer through the shell of the oil filter from the heat if the 1/2 pint of oil that is in there at any given time. If those things worked that well the oil cooler people would be out of business.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 AM
kellyflip
Stage I

just a note about that claim. look in the fine print (dont remember where) that claim is for **NARROW** fendered bikes.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM
bobbav
Advanced

A guy I work with installed one on his Road King, and stated it dropped his temps about 10 degrees.....

Personally, I had HD oil coolers on both of my earlier bikes (both Springers), and had installed one on my current Fatboy. I sinced removed it, due to the poor design of the unit. Don't get me wrong, Jagg makes a great product, but when loosening the oil filter, the adapter plate would spin a little, and once that happens, you riun the gasket seal.

I may look into this glorified "Heat Excahnger", based on my friends results.....

Ride Safe

Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil filters can dissipate more heat than anyone might think. Installing fins makes good sense to me. I'm surprised there isn't a cartridge type filter with a cast housing with fins for just that purpose... A bit larger oil capacity and finned housing would do a heck of a job.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 AM
fathog02
6th Gear

My buddy had one on a Fatboy, this thing leaked from day one. He took it to the dealer to have some new skins put on, and to have them look at the oil cooler.

The dealer told him, he can't order replacement parts, he removed the cooler.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:01 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

Those things have been out for a long time now.....they just don't live up to be what they should do. If it would somehow add to the capacity.....then it might be different.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
hounddog
Tourer

I think they work my dads a machinest and he made his own, he seems to think they work enuf to keep using. im lookin into one myself the arizona desert is pretty warm in the summer (110). i also saw a filter set up in dennis kirk thats a finned shell that takes cartrige type filters but then i guess in the cold months one would have to buy a normal filter to run. cant remember the price but it wasnt much and it came with 3 filters!!! could be a good alternative to the slip cover.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZD

Oil filters can dissipate more heat than anyone might think. Installing fins makes good sense to me. I'm surprised there isn't a cartridge type filter with a cast housing with fins for just that purpose... A bit larger oil capacity and finned housing would do a heck of a job.
Funny you should mention that. In this month's Hot Bike magazine they tested a finned, cleanable/reusable billet aluminum oil filter made by Pure Power with that company's oil against regular oil & a stock filter on a stock '07 Road Glide. On the dyno, the finned filter & PP oil produced a gain of a little over 9 hp and 9.5 lb-ft torque at the rear tire over the regular oil & stock filter. While most of the gains are attributed to the reduction of parasitic drag caused by paper filters and plain oil, they also mentioned that the surface area of the filter was almost double that of a standard oil filter which, in their words, "eliminates the need for an external oil cooler."
It would have been interesting if they had measured oil temps to see the actual reduction the finned cooler provided, but they just did dyno runs to measure power.

Makes sense that any type of finned cooler (basically a heat sink) attached to a source of heat will transfer heat from the source to the air. How much it transfers would be dependant on effective surface area of the cooler (in this case about double that of a regular filter,) how well the metal of the heat sink conducts heat, and the quality of the connection between it and the oil filter.

9+ hp & 9.5 lb-ft torque for $200 is a pretty good return on cost per HP considering the cost per HP of many of the other popular mods people do...

Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

TnT,

I have one on my 96 Fatboy. I have not had my bike overheat or get close to it. I cannot say it is because of the collar ( I use Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil) but I leave it on because it looks good and it probably does reduce the heata bit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9653/9979B2719B834D46971E922F301A3AF8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: oil cooling