Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Filter Differences & Ident

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 AM
jim70
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Filter Differences & Ident

Is there a way to visually distinguish an EVO oil filter from a Twin Cam?..by looking at install face?
I've unfortunately mixed up some boxes and trying to decifer. Both my filters are short length, unlike the longer EVO option that would have made it easy.
I know there is no interchange between EVO & TC oil filters.
Thx
Jim

Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,391 Likes on 5,000 Posts

The Evo filter will not have an anti-drain back valve.

Look at the small holes that surround the larger center hole, on a TC oil filter you will see the rubber anti-drain back valve behind the holes.

You won`t see any rubber behind the holes on the EVO filter.

The factory says you can use TC oil filters on Evo, but not vice versa.

Some will say that the factory is wrong, that you can`t use a TC oil filter on an Evo, but I have been running a TC oil filter on my Evo for the past few years without issue (the oil pump has over 140k on it).

Filter without anti-drain back valve (Evo)

Filter with anti-drainback valve (TC)

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-27-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:44 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Another difference is the microns. I found this article from S&S Cycles on the Evo engine and the recommended oil filter.Should I run a 10 micron or a 30 micron oil filter?

By S&S Cycle -

A micron rating is given to show the efficiency of the oil filter (one micron is a millionth of a meter). This leads consumers to believe that the 10 micron filter must be better for their bike. Because the 10 micron filter may have a higher filtration rating, it does not allow the oil to return to the tank as fast.

With this in mind, the 10 micron filter was developed for use with the Twin Cam style engine, which has a different oiling system from the Evolution engine that allows the oil to be forced through a more restrictive oil filter. The reason for the tighter filtration was explained by the manufacturer as necessary to assure all of the smaller passages in the Twin Cam style engine would stay clear of debris.

If you run the 10 micron filter with an Evolution style engine, it will not be able to return the oil through the filter fast enough, causing the oil to back up into the bottom end which results in robbing power and/or causing oil to puke out of the bottom end. The reason for this is the fact that the late-style filters are more restrictive to oil flow than the correct early-style filter. The return side of the oil pump in an Evolution engine doesn’t make a lot of pressure, and if it can’t push the oil through the filter fast enough, oil scavenged from the crankcase will build up in the cam chest. That oil has to go somewhere, and eventually it’s going to get blown out of the crankcase breather bolts which are inside your air cleaner.

The 30 micron filter is designed to work best for your Evolution style engine, the filtration is still excellent and it will not cause oiling issues.

I used to use a WIX 5 micron filter and had no problems. When I read this, I switched to a different WIX filter 21 micron filter., just in case. I've read lots of testimonies from people who use 5 micron filters with no problems at all.
Each to his own. It's pretty good reading, though. H-D offers filter with both medias.

Last edited by boomerguy; 01-04-2020 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Roeville (05-28-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 03:07 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

The 5 micron flows 9gpm. What's there to worry about? The pump doesn't flow near that.
Ask Rocketman what happenes if you deadhead a 100psi gauge on a sporty if you think there's no pressure.