Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Questions for sedbiker62 (Amsoil Guy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Questions for sedbiker62 (Amsoil Guy)

01/13/2007 At my next transmission drain, I will be installing FGR, I am curious to see if it will quiet the Harley shift clunk more than the MCV.

02/24/2007 AMSOIL MCV 20w-50 does infact meet and exceed the gear lube requirements for Harley Davidson transmissions.
So, with all due respect, and I mean that...It not only makes sense in this case, it's better for your transmission.

03/12/2007Severe Gear...Redline Shock Proof Heavyetc. etc.. etc... is overkill and even not so good for your transmission.

I have read many of your posts (3 are listedabove) and I know that you are the "Amsoil Guy." I'm a bit confused about what your recommendations are with respect to the best Amsoil product for use in HD transmissions. I believe you stated thatMCV 20w-50provides the same protection asthe SVG 75w-90, but without theextreme pressure additives. If I'm using the SVG 75w-90 in my '07' Heritage's tranny, are these additives harmful or just overkill?Your post on 3/12/2007 states that it might not be good for transmissions, yet the Amsoil website lists the SVG 75w-90 as a replacement oil for the HD stuff. Is the FGR Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube a better alternative to the SVG? Or is putting the MCV 20w-50 in all three holes the best option? Thanks.

DJK

Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 AM
bear95252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions for sedbiker62 (Amsoil Guy)

DJ. I am also an AMSOIL Dealer and a friend of sedbiker. What he said was very true. The 20/50 is the primary recommendation for the Transmission in the twin Cams. However, that was before the 2007's arrived. I am told that there is an excessive amount of gear noise in the six speed. I also can tell you that a Master Harley Technician I deal with, is switching everyone with an 07 over to the SVG in the Transmission and I am told it cuts the gear noise in half. Heavy amounts of EP additive such as what is in the GL5 gear oils can cause corossion in gearboxes that have any copper or brass components. I have checked and there are no copper or brass components in the Harley Transmission. So if you want quiet, use the SVG. Either MCV or SVG will work. As for the FGR, I can't comment at this point. I have not tried it nor do I know anyone who has.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you use the severe gear once you will never go back. The new 75w90 gear lube chemistrys don't attack the brass parts in transmissions like they used to. But since there are none in a HD. Go ahead.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: djkolp

01/13/2007 At my next transmission drain, I will be installing FGR, I am curious to see if it will quiet the Harley shift clunk more than the MCV.

02/24/2007 AMSOIL MCV 20w-50 does infact meet and exceed the gear lube requirements for Harley Davidson transmissions.
So, with all due respect, and I mean that...It not only makes sense in this case, it's better for your transmission.

03/12/2007Severe Gear...Redline Shock Proof Heavyetc. etc.. etc... is overkill and even not so good for your transmission.

I have read many of your posts (3 are listedabove) and I know that you are the "Amsoil Guy." I'm a bit confused about what your recommendations are with respect to the best Amsoil product for use in HD transmissions. I believe you stated thatMCV 20w-50provides the same protection asthe SVG 75w-90, but without theextreme pressure additives. If I'm using the SVG 75w-90 in my '07' Heritage's tranny, are these additives harmful or just overkill?Your post on 3/12/2007 states that it might not be good for transmissions, yet the Amsoil website lists the SVG 75w-90 as a replacement oil for the HD stuff. Is the FGR Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube a better alternative to the SVG? Or is putting the MCV 20w-50 in all three holes the best option? Thanks.

DJK
When I wrote about the SVG possibly "not being so good for your trans", I had in mind the corrosive effects some EP additives can have on yellow metals.
As correctly stated above, there are no yellow metals in the late model harley transmissions.

With that said, I stand corrected and now believe the EP additives in the SVGwill cause no harm to your transmission.
From a purely economical stand point, I still contend that the EP additives are not only unecessary in our transmissions, but will never be subjected to the pressures that activate them. The EP additives are expensive.

Regarding the FGR synthetic gear lube. It is aGL-5 rated gear lube, but without the EP additives. Therefore less expensiveand for all intensive purposes offers the same protection as the SVGsince the EP additives will never be used.

I don't recall saying MCV offers the same protection as SVG, however my primary recommendation is to use the MCV in all three holes.

The MCV is rated a GL-1 gear lube. The industry standard recommendation for spur type and helical type gears ( the gear types in a harley transmission).
If extreme pressures were possible in these transmissions, different gear types would be used, like hypoid gears in an automotive application.

My reasoning for trying the FGR in my own transmission "to see if it quiets the harley shift clunk" was simply that. Harley Davidson transmissions prior to the six speeds used a mechanism that required a large amount of mechanical movement inside the transmission to shift gears. The result has always been a pretty hefty clunk as the transmission shifts from gear to gear. Anyone who has been riding harleys for a while will know what I'm talking about.
My experience with the FGR was/is that it may quiet the "shift clunk" some, but honestly hard to tell, and although the FGR(GL-5) is engineered to withstand more rigorous mechanical stress than the MCV(GL-1), I don't feel like the transmission is better protected simply because it will protect the rear end of a truck. The protection offered by the MCV(GL-1) in the area's of film strength, lubricity, shear stability, and heat resistance are more than adequate for the application. The fact that I can use it in all three holes is an added value.

I really can't think of a way to pass this piece of trivia along other than just putting it out there.
I often see the advice to

Old 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

Sedbiker62; Do you know if Bel-Ray 80-90, or 80-140 tranny lube is a synthetic? Nothing shows on the package? I've always used it in my bikes. I've got a friend who has 350,000 on his 76FLHP, and hasn't opened the tranny. It is getting a little lose he said... LOL!

Anyway, that said he has used it for the life of the bike and no problems. But what I want to know is if it's synthetic I could do extended change interval instead of 5, I could go 7500...

What's your take? ThanX!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:31 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: scott4911

Sedbiker62; Do you know if Bel-Ray 80-90, or 80-140 tranny lube is a synthetic? Nothing shows on the package? I've always used it in my bikes. I've got a friend who has 350,000 on his 76FLHP, and hasn't opened the tranny. It is getting a little lose he said... LOL!

Anyway, that said he has used it for the life of the bike and no problems. But what I want to know is if it's synthetic I could do extended change interval instead of 5, I could go 7500...

What's your take? ThanX!
Sorry, I really don't know about the Bel-Ray. I'd say chances are that if its not advertised on the package, its not synthetic. However, 350,000 miles is some indorsement!

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy

Old 05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such a detailed fashion. I had put the SVG 75w-90 oil in my primary by mistake, and changed it over to MCV 20w-50 the next day. When I drained it into the oil pan, I could easily see the EP additives in the oil. Looked like swirling gold dust. The nice thing is that the local HD dealer now sells Amsoil! Thanks again.

DJK

Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 PM
rbrapp1
Intermediate

Do you know if there are any yellow metals in the 06 five speed trannys?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rbrapp1

Do you know if there are any yellow metals in the 06 five speed trannys?
No yellow metals in any of the late model transmissions.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy

Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Randy in Duster
Banned
Question

Looks like several years since this post was active. Any updates on amsoil product recommendations in 2010 big twins with 6-speed, specifically the SG in the tranny?