Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Any credible research on best oil for hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 AM
SilverDawg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any credible research on best oil for hot weather

I know, another oil thread. I actually scrolled through several pages, but did not see the answer to my question.

I have a 2007 SE Ultra with the 110 engine, which you may or may not know, runs very hot. I have added a K and N filter, Vance and Hines Oval slipons, and used a SERT to remap. I only have about 130 miles on her as of this writing. I also installed the oil temp gauge and she reads in the high 200's after my break in runs.

My question is that is there a source that shows research on which oils (synthetics) will promote a cooler operating temperature within the engine. I have the dogs days of Texas coming up and want to do all I can to keep her running as cool as possible. These beasts already have an oil cooler on them, but it does not seem to help much.

I currently run Mobil 1 in my Heritage and it does fine.

Any advice or links would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM
bear95252
Cruiser
Default RE: Any credible research on best oil for hot weather

AMSOIL 20/50 and Mobil 1 V twin are the two top oils of the 16 oils tested. Synthetic oils do not start to breakdown until over 600 deg F. Either oil will help you run cooler. Some Folks like the Redline 20/60 I believe it is, for the warmer climates. If you decide on the AMSOIL I can help you with that. Both Mobil and Redline should be available locally. All the 110's around here run the AMSOIL.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM
cornell
Intermediate

I prefer the Mobil 1 because you can find it on the road whereas the amsoil has to be ordered. Try ordering it if you need oil on the road and to carry it with you makes very little sense to me.
Synthetics can decrease your temps but not by very much. If you see 10* loweryou are doing well.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
SilverDawg
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bear95252

AMSOIL 20/50 and Mobil 1 V twin are the two top oils of the 16 oils tested. Synthetic oils do not start to breakdown until over 600 deg F. Either oil will help you run cooler. Some Folks like the Redline 20/60 I believe it is, for the warmer climates. If you decide on the AMSOIL I can help you with that. Both Mobil and Redline should be available locally. All the 110's around here run the AMSOIL.

Which test are you referring to? do you have a link?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have over 3000 miles try the Redline 20w60. It is about the heaviest synthetic you will find. I run the Mobil1Vtwin 20w50 because it doesn't get that hot here.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Amsoil 20W-50

Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cornell

I prefer the Mobil 1 because you can find it on the road whereas the amsoil has to be ordered. Try ordering it if you need oil on the road and to carry it with you makes very little sense to me.
Synthetics can decrease your temps but not by very much. If you see 10* loweryou are doing well.
I often see/hear this reason for not using AMSOIL.
Based on my own riding experience and the observation of others riding experience. Being concerned about "being able to find AMSOIL on the road" is not something to be concerned about.

Most of us do the lions share of our riding on day trips or weekend trips that consist of a couple of hundred miles a day at the most. So if your bike is using enough oil to require adding oil on the road, you have bigger problems than what brand of oil you're using and as an AMSOIL dealer, I wouldn't recommend using AMSOIL until your other more important issues are corrected.

If you are on a real road trip, something over a couple of thousand miles and feel better about having some "emergency oil" on board, by all means carry an extra quart of oil in your bag.
On the other hand, if you do in fact have an oil emergency on the road, once again you have bigger problems than the brand of oil you're using.

If your bike has an appitite for oil and needs to be topped off half way between here and Anchorage, Mobil 1 is compatible with AMSOIL/AMSOIL is compatible with Mobil 1. For that matter, in a pinch, you could use 20W-50 dollar general store brand until you get the chance to correct the real issue.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy

Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bear95252

Bear, do you have any truly independent tests that weren't commissioned and paid-for by Amsoil? Where is the test on moly content? Moly may be the most important additive, and the Amsoil test avoided it completely.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

ORIGINAL: cornell

I often see/hear this reason for not using AMSOIL.
Based on my own riding experience and the observation of others riding experience. Being concerned about "being able to find AMSOIL on the road" is not something to be concerned about.

Most of us do the lions share of our riding on day trips or weekend trips that consist of a couple of hundred miles a day at the most. So if your bike is using enough oil to require adding oil on the road, you have bigger problems than what brand of oil you're using and as an AMSOIL dealer, I wouldn't recommend using AMSOIL until your other more important issues are corrected.

If you are on a real road trip, something over a couple of thousand miles and feel better about having some "emergency oil" on board, by all means carry an extra quart of oil in your bag.
On the other hand, if you do in fact have an oil emergency on the road, once again you have bigger problems than the brand of oil you're using.

If your bike has an appitite for oil and needs to be topped off half way between here and Anchorage, Mobil 1 is compatible with AMSOIL/AMSOIL is compatible with Mobil 1. For that matter, in a pinch, you could use 20W-50 dollar general store brand until you get the chance to correct the real issue.
I too think it may not be an issue to have your choice of oil available on the road. I rode my last RK through 33 states and although I carried a quart of my oil, not that hard to find at Pep Boys and Napa, I have never purchased a quart on the road. I do think it is important how available it is at your home base. If you can't find it locally without shipping charges I think you should look elsewhere. There are many good oils available, including Amsoil, but Amsoil is not a panacea, and in truly independent tests it performed well, but not as well as the test paid-for by Amsoil and posted on the Amsoil site.

Oil isn't a religion, and rational thought should prevail in a decision to buy one oil over another.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

Red Line sells an HD 20W-60 for air-cooled V-twins, seems worth considering for the "Dog Days".

FBL

Quick Reply: Any credible research on best oil for hot weather