Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Torque wrench'n oil/tranny fittings ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque wrench'n oil/tranny fittings ?

O.K., here goes. i asked this earlier and got mixed response's. I decided to go with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20 W 50 in the crankcase and primary and Mobil 1 75 W 90 Gear Lube in the tranny. I've got an 05' Fatboy with an 88tc and tend to over tighten things. Sears has a sale this week on their torque wrench's and i don't know exactly what wrench i need. I'm thinking a 3/8" drive but do they come in both ft' & in" LB's or what ??? Also does anyone know what size the tranny filler cap (allen wrench type socket) is or should i get a 6 pc allen socket set because i'm not to sure if i'd need any other sizes, i already have a Torx socket set ??? I'm going to be doing the 5 qt. oil change and purge thru the oil return line (i already bought the a/c-fuel line disconnect set) and wondered if i need to buy an additional o'ring or just spread alittle oil around the end before reinserting the line into the tank when i'm done...thanks and ride safe !

Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Torque wrench'n oil/tranny fittings ?

ORIGINAL: Mad Dawg

O.K., here goes. i asked this earlier and got mixed response's. I decided to go with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20 W 50 in the crankcase and primary and Mobil 1 75 W 90 Gear Lube in the tranny. I've got an 05' Fatboy with an 88tc and tend to over tighten things. Sears has a sale this week on their torque wrench's and i don't know exactly what wrench i need. I'm thinking a 3/8" drive but do they come in both ft' & in" LB's or what ??? Also does anyone know what size the tranny filler cap (allen wrench type socket) is or should i get a 6 pc allen socket set because i'm not to sure if i'd need any other sizes, i already have a Torx socket set ??? I'm going to be doing the 5 qt. oil change and purge thru the oil return line (i already bought the a/c-fuel line disconnect set) and wondered if i need to buy an additional o'ring or just spread alittle oil around the end before reinserting the line into the tank when i'm done...thanks and ride safe !

You will need both. Some fittings require inch lbs.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

A torque wrench works great....however keep in mind there are varibles involved here. Dirty threads, bolt fatigue, oily threads, and dry threads. Also, the torque wrench maybe out of caliberation as well. However, both are great instruments to have laying around in the tool box. Use it properly and use good mechanical judgement.....and problems are unlikely.

Or here in the USA.....the caliberated elbow works ok for most applications. Others countries use the "good N tight" which works just as good.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:32 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard hand tight, back it off, then hand tight again.. and ur set. Provided ur not a steroid freak or a major wimp !!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have both the Sears "clicker style" torque wrenches. I use them on everything. I highly recommend you get them and read the instructions. Make certain you "unwind" them after you are done using them and they will stay calibrated for years. After about 5 years Sears will calibrate them for a small fee.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think of torque wrenches "coming in inch pounds or foot pounds" just think of them as coming in different ranges of force. Foot pounds multiplied by 12 gives inch pounds; inch pounds divided by 12 equals foot pounds. Now you're set: Sears sells two 3/8 drive torque wrenches that overlap slightly in range. The smaller one is marked in inch pounds and is appropriate for most small fasteners on your bike or fasteners going into soft metal like a crank case. The larger one is appropriate for larger fasteners like wheel nuts or handlebar riser bolts.

<edited to fix the multiply/divide. I don't know why I can never write it down without getting it wrong. D'oh!>

Old 05-05-2007, 09:50 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here ya go. Take a look at these. Yes they are expensive. Yes they are good.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store