Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil indicator warning light is flickering when in idle... (hot?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
sjoko
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Oil indicator warning light is flickering when in idle... (hot?)

you've replaced a broken key of the oil-pump-gears ,....
...do you think that the oil pump is still healthy ?

Old 04-28-2007, 06:49 PM
sjoko
Cruiser

page 3-11 of the "Official Factory Manual" FX/Softail models '93-'94 :
"With engine and oil at normal operating temperature, check oil pressureat 2000 rpm.
If oil pressure is above 50 psi ( 3,45 bar ) or below 5 psi ( 0,345 bar ) , inspect oil pump , cranckcase passages and oil hoses for restrictions or blockage" ..etc..

So ,...5 psi ( 0.34 bar ) is de minimum allowed pressure...
Install a gauge and see.......

Old 04-29-2007, 01:08 AM

I don't hear any unusual noise when cold or hot, and to be honest the bike runs fine. I had this noise before but we replaced the camshaft and it was okay. The problem here in Thailand/Koh Samui) where I live is that the next (and only) HD dealer is approximately 800 kilometers away, and my tech knows Japanese bike very good but is not a real HD mechanic (he rides one himself and works mainly out of the book).

Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 AM

I tell you what happened since I purchased the bike... the first thing I noticed was this warning light coming onduring alonger ride trough the town. I was on a charity ride (500 km) and hadlost some oil (it was a simple oil leak). Wefixed the leak and filled up the oil level and the problem was gone. I had 10w40 multi grade at that timein the bike. On my way back everything was running fine (500 km both on highway and normal road).

Then I modified the bike optically with some chrome parts. One was the oil filter but I have no idea if it was any different and we also changed the oil (10w40 multigrade).

I was happy with a good looking and well running bike, but then I had this noise coming out from the camshaft, and we learned that one theeth of the gear was broken off. My tech replaced it but not the bearing as he said it was not needed (the old one was still fine). I could drive for about 2 months and on my last ride around the island the light issue comes up again, with the bike still running fine but a metallic noise I hear on 2-3 other local Harleys before. Next was happen on themorning I wanted to go to Phuket for the bike week event as the light come up and did not went out anymore. I stopped the bike right at my mechanic as we meet there anyway. We found out that the bearing was broken as well as the little key which secures the oil pump shaft. I was very lucky I guess,

The next step was replacing the bearing, cleaning every part of the oil pump and around the area, new sealing was done as well. The oil we changed to an 20w50.The pump was working and the bike sounds very good now but the issue with the light is still happen.

Then we rised the RPM to 950 and the light still came on but not as quick. We could not change the filter as I had to order it from the HD dealer in Bangkok first. I am now waiting for it to see what happen next. I will ask my tech to check the pressure as mentioned by sjoko above. I also order two types of oil. 1) the original HD 20w50 and 2) w60 oil as my friend from germany told me that his service manual says to use w60 or even w80 oil in tropic countries with temps over 80 degrees F (36 C). It makes sense to me as this types of oil would give me a higher oil pressure...

Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 AM

One more thing, I also added an HD oil cooler during my first upgrade but I can not see any difference at all. The stainless tubes however are most sure not original ones...

By the way sjoko, I am from austria and my english is far from perfect

Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 AM

Hi Guys,
Update of the latest work: Changed oil to HD-W60 and also a new HD oilfilter for my EVO. Rised the RPM in idle to 950 as well. Fact of the matter is that the oil indicator light is still coming up in idle after the engine is on temperatur (it takes a little bit longer but still does it). Can my Oil cooler be a problem? I have seen that all together 3 liters of oil went in but I think it should be more as of the oil cooler. The point is that when checking the oil the cooler will be empty but when running this oil could be missing or I am wrong?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Latest update on my oil pressure: After startup when the engine is cold I have only 12-13 psi. With the engine on operating temperature it drops to as low as 2-3 psi...!

What I don't understand is why the oil pump could be faulty...? With a bad oil pump I think I should not have pressure on a cold engine as well - or do I miss something?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM
harleyb
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 94 FXSTC. Most the engine is S&S. All new. New S&S oil pump. ALL the bearing and internal clearances are tight. I run the H-D 20-50 synthetic oil.
My oil lite does the same thing. I am a factory trained H-D mechanic, and have over 30 years expierance. I saw an other response to your question, and I agree. The factory says check oil pressure at 2000 rpm, with the engine at operating temp.
The lifters pressurize before the bottom end on evos and everything before. It takes 3 or more psi just to lift the check ball that allows oil out of the pump. If you had a real oil pressure problem, the lifters would get real noisey first. Harleys need oil VOLUME, not pressure. An oil cooler won't help at an idle, as there is no air moving accross it. It may even make things worse, as you are asking an already poor design pump, to work even harder.
Try not to let the bike idle too long. At long stops blip the throttle now and again. That will lift the pressure regulating valve and put some oil to the rod bearings.
I know it's a little un settling....but I doubt you have a real problem.
if the light comes on solid and won't go out when you blip the throttle....then it's time to shut down.

Harvey

Old 05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
sjoko
Cruiser

Hello Harvey ,.....

Thank you for the explanation ,....so you're a skilled HD-mechanic .
Well ,...I'm not ,...I just ride on that pre-historic technical thing , and I try to keep it in good condition . hahaha.
It seems that a lot of HD-owners have the same kind of this trouble ,...and so had I.
I bought that second hand FLSTC with a year warranty ,....so I could keep my toolbox closed .
That in-official dealer could not find anything wrong in first place , so I helped him with brainstrorming in what could be the cause of the low pressure and the clicking lifter.
He took out the cam-followers and took the hyd. lifters a part, cleaned them ,....could not find anything wrong , ....and re-assembled all back again.
Filled the oil tank with an ordinairy "blender" 20W50 SF/CC engine oil ,....and problems gone !!!
Told me to left the ordinairy oil in for a while ,...just for testing period ,...oke ,....so i did .
He told me also that it should be not that critical what kind of oil brand is used ,....as long as it is 20W50 .
Well ,..I will replace that oil for QuakerState "peak performance" after a while.
In the mean time I ride on it , ...without any troubles or noisy things.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:11 AM

Hello Harvey,

I puirchased an adjustable pressure relief cap that allows the precise adjustment of oil pressure on ebay in Germany, but it will take some time until I get it in my hands due to delivery. I found it there by looking for something else for my bike and at least it sounds like it can be the reason/solution for my problem.

I will post the result here but for anybody who wants to check on it before: http://www.ertproducts.com/

The product description as well as the symptoms shown are identical to what is happen on my bike. Finally, if I have to replace my oil pump the adjustable pressure relief cap still can do the job for the future

Quick Reply: Oil indicator warning light is flickering when in idle... (hot?)