Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

MISSING OIL after oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:24 PM
CardsFanOne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MISSING OIL after oil change.

I have a 1999 FLHP-I Road King, 95ci engine with the Doherty Mist Free breather kit added this winter. Here is my problem I changed the oil to day just as I have in the past. I put the bike on the jack, raised it up to getit level and in order to reach the plug. Drained the oil, removed the old oil filter, put the plug back in and installed the new filter, added the 3 1/2 quarts of oil, put the bike back on the ground and started it. Ibought a new digital dip stick and when it said the bike was at 190 degrees I turned the bike off and waited about 2 min. to let the oil drip back into the pan.I pushed the button on the new stick and it told me that I was1 qt. low, so I pulled the stick and read it manually, it too said 1 qt low. Itried the old stick and it told me I was 3/4 qt. low. Now I'm not rocket scientist, but if you and the 1/2 qt in the sump, the 3 1/2 I just put in, and the 1 quart that it said I was low, that would be 5 qts.. So where is it, wheres the oil, I shouldhave 4 quarts in the bike. I have always added oil in order to get it to the FULL line and always wondered why I was using 4 full quarts when it says to use 3 1/2. Thats 4 1/2 qts total.

I did add the Doherty Mist Free to the bike, and I will say this" IT SUCKS"[:@] I believe that I have more oil coming out of the breathers than ever. I E-Mailed Doherty 3 times and they haven't returned my E-Mails yet.

If you can help me out I would be verygreatful,also if anyone thinks this should be on another forum and knows how to get it there, please do. LIKE I SAID I'M NOT A ROCKET SCIENTIST.

Thank you.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: MISSING OIL after oil change.

Maybe all the oil is not returning to the tank or your dipstick is wrong. But if you just put 3.5 qts in....then I wouldn't add another full quart. I would think maybe you have oil leaking back into the engine from the check valve on the feed line leaking and allowing some oil to run back into the engineor perhapsthe return line is clogged and all the oil is not getting back to the tank after shut down. You might want toPM Shovelhead Bob. He is a Master HD Tech and should know the issue.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 AM
CardsFanOne
Advanced

It is possible that the oil isn't getting back, that would explain the need to add oil to reach the full mark on the stick , also the excess oil blow by.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you figure on 1/2 quart being in the sump of the crank case?????

I understand that you are following Doherty's instructions, but they are incorrect, to a point....

Rule of thumb on a Touring bike is that you will ALWAYS change oil when hot, so that all contamination gets it's chance to get trapped in the filter, as well as assisting in the draining process....

Second, AFTER priming the new filter, with about 1/2 pint of oil, and installing, THAT is when you put the 3.5 qt's of oil in the oil tank...

Fire it up and let it get to op-temp, verifying that it has oil pressure....

Set on side stand and oil should be in the UPPER THIRD of the OE dipstick (Between FULL and ADD)...... If not, add 2-4 oz's at a time to get it there......

Don't trust the fancy dipstick, as it is not really calibrated for precision, but more of a courtesy warning to be aware that your fluid COULD be low.....

Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
CardsFanOne
Advanced

SHB,

I know Doherty tells us to use only 3 1/2 quarts, but so does my Service Manual. In section 1 page 33 it tells us to ride it to normal operating temp., drain the pan then remove the filter. which I did in that order. Next they say tolube the gasket on the filter and install the new filter, reinstall the drain plug. Then with the bike on its jiffy stand, add 3 1/2 quarts of oil. Perform a cold check making sure the oilshould register 1/2 way between coldadd and full on the stick. Then do a hot check riding the bike to normal temps, place it on the jiffy stand and check the oil level. then add only enoughoil to bring it up to the full level. I have only had this bike for a year, and have done the oil changes per the service manualinstructions. I have never "PRIMED" the oil filter before installing it.I know that on my cold check it might read 1/2 way up the stick and then on my hot check it wouldn't be to the full line, due to the filter needing to being primed, unlike if I primed thefilter prior to installing.My Road King doesn't have a oil pressure gauge, so I can't check the oil pressure on the bike.

I went out this morning and checked the cold level. It read 1/4 wayup the stick, using the stock stick. Iadded enough oil to read just below 1/2. I have a question, if there isn't at least 1/2 qt in the pump why do I still have 12-14 oz. of oil left in my forth quart of oil, even after adding.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

Oh dude, you gotta fill the filter with oil before you put it on...! Always!