Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Never thought I'd have to ask this, but......

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Reckless Kelly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never thought I'd have to ask this, but......

I never thought I'd have to ask a question like this............but:

I bought a 91 FXRS (Lowrider) last weekend with 20,000 miles on it. I'm doing a total maintenance job on it, already repacked wheel bearings, changed spark plugs, etc.

How do I change the engine oil, primary, and transmission. I have a manual on the way................but never thought I'd have to resort to a manual to change the fluids. I think I can see hex head bolts that drain the primary and transmission fluids...................but don't know where to add..............or how to check. I'm guessing that the engine oil drains out of one of the hoses (i see 3).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.........................as the next step will be me riding my bike up to the Harley store and feeling like a you know what asking them how to change my oil.

Thanks guys -

Old 04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Never thought I'd have to ask this, but......

I'd wait for the manual.......how long can it be? You don't want to get the quantities of oil wrong or you will be doing it twice. But on second thought who gives a crap what the guys at the dealership think? BUt with a 91 I would definitely use the HD360 dino oil in the engine, Formula+ in the primary and BelRay gear saver or a GL5 75w90 gear oil in the trans.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 AM
Snobal
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Reckless Kelly

How do I change the engine oil, primary, and transmission. I have a manual on the way................but never thought I'd have to resort to a manual to change the fluids. I think I can see hex head bolts that drain the primary and transmission fluids...................but don't know where to add..............or how to check. I'm guessing that the engine oil drains out of one of the hoses (i see 3).
Engine oil:

Does your seat flip up? My '91 FXRS had a lever on the left side of the seat that allowed the seat to flip. Once the seat is up (or off) the oil bag and dip stick are right there. To drain the old oil, remove the left side-cover and you will see a hose connected to the frame with a spring-wire clip. To drain the old oil, remove the clip, the hose pulls off (from the top) and you just lowerthe hose and the old oil drains out. Reconnect the hose, add the new oil. If you overfill the oil bag, the bike will blow oil out the air filter. The manual will tell you how much oil it takes, I can't remember for sure but I think it is about 3 quarts. Start the bike after the oil change, let the filter fill up, then check the oil level with the dip-stick.

Does your oil bag have a sight-glass to see the oil level? I really liked the sight glass. You could check your oil level without even getting off the bike.

The oil filter is under the rear part of the frame. It comes off just like a car filter. BTW, the fitting that the oil filterscrews into is reverse threaded (so the filter can be un-screwed in the normal manner).

Also, you will need to clean the tiny oil screen that is under one of the big plugs on the top, right rear of the engine, just behind and below the level of the bottom of the pushrods. Wait for your service manual to show you how to do this. It is easy to do with the instructions, pictures, etc. HD sold a chrome replacement for the plug that made removing it easier.

The service manual will tell you to "flush the oil tank." I would do that to a bike that has been sitting most of it's life. Just drainthe oil, reconnect the oil-drain hose, pour in about a quart of kerosene, lean the bike side to side a few times, then drain the kerosene, add fresh oil, and you are ready to go.

Primary:

There is a small screw on the bottom of the primary coverto drain the old fluid. All the screwsthat hold the primary cover on are the same size - except for the drain-plug screw (I'm going from memory here - don't hold me to this one).You replace the fluid by removing the derby cover and adding a quart.

Transmission:

The drain plug is under the transmission. It takes about 24 oz. to refill it via the dip-stick hole.

Get a very small funnel and re-filling the transmission is no problem. Bike must be level to check the transmission fluid level when using the transmission dip-stick. Do not screw in the dip-stick to check the level. Just stick it in the hole until it contacts the threads, level like you are going to screw it in, then remove it and try and see if the fluid is between the marks. Good Luck. I finally just gave up and always measured the 24 oz. and didn't worry about it. The new Redline shockproof transmission oil makes it easy because it has enought color to be able to see it on the dip stick.

Your best bet is to wait for the Service Manual, but I know ---if it was me,I couldn't wait

20K miles on an FXR is a "new" bike. About all you will need to do to it is maybe replace the base gaskets between now and when it hits 100K. Seems the base gaskets began to seep a little after about 50K mile

Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Snobal
Tourer

Mark,

Go talk to the guys at the Carson City dealership. Nice bunch of folks! The Service Manager REALLY knows his stuff and they have excellent technicians.

At least when I was doing business with them, it was almost like the "old days" when you knew everyone at the dealership, and everyone said "Hi" when you went in.

They haveone of the best service departments I've seen and "top quality" customer service. I would bet they would be pleased to answer your questions and/or get you the correct service manual for your 1991 FXR.

JMHO