Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil cooler fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
steel11
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler fans

I live in northern New Jersey and we do alot of up state NY riding but at times we ride into NYC to go to little Italy for dinner.. When we went in last time my bike oil temp hit about 270 ( WOW) way to hot !!!!! i have since purchased an Jagg oil cooler and 2 cpu fans to mount onto the oil cooler. My question is how do i mount the fans to the oil cooler.. A while back i read a post on this site about a guy who made the same thing but it doesn't tell you how he mounted the fans to the oil cooler.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .. thanks John

Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: oil cooler fans

ORIGINAL: steel11

I live in northern New Jersey and we do alot of up state NY riding but at times we ride into NYC to go to little Italy for dinner.. When we went in last time my bike oil temp hit about 270 ( WOW) way to hot !!!!! i have since purchased an Jagg oil cooler and 2 cpu fans to mount onto the oil cooler. My question is how do i mount the fans to the oil cooler.. A while back i read a post on this site about a guy who made the same thing but it doesn't tell you how he mounted the fans to the oil cooler.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .. thanks John
I like the idea of fans, but doubt how well they would work in such a wet and hot environment they weren't designed for. Some computer case fans (e.g. Antec) use rubber fasteners in lieu of screws, and these might work by running them through the fins from the front, through the cooler fins, and through the fan mounting holes. OTOH, the heat may destroy them prematurely. Otherwise, you'd need to find some place to tap screws, and I doubt if there'd be a convenient place on the cooler. Also, the fans need to be well sealed, as you don't want leakage around the fan since it will pull air from there rather than through the cooler. I see many problems with rigging something like this, but it could be done.

The fans wouldn't need to be on at all times, and could be activated by a switch, but the ideal method would be to have them come on when the bike is stationary. This is the only time when the fans are needed, but I'm not sure how such a thing could be rigged. The cooler will work when the bike is stationary through convection, though obviously not as well as when moving.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:52 AM
steel11
6th Gear

Thank you for you input .I have the two computer fans and the jagg oil cooler . Now i am in the process of mounting the fans to the oil cooler..I am going to use a switch to turn the fans on and off as needed to keep the temp down .

Old 02-25-2007, 12:56 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: steel11

Thank you for you input .I have the two computer fans and the jagg oil cooler . Now i am in the process of mounting the fans to the oil cooler..I am going to use a switch to turn the fans on and off as needed to keep the temp down .
I'd like to know how you fare with this project. Could you keep us up-to-date with the progress?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
steel11
6th Gear

Iwill definitly let you know how everything goes..I have to do something to cool my bike down.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you had the cooler on yet to see what diff it makes by itself? It ought to be enough on it's own, IMO.
I can't imagine that the computer fans will do much good. Too wimpy and not worth the trouble, and I my guess is they will look like crap on your bike. Just my opinion. It's your bike.
...and if you do use 'em, don't hang them out where they'll block the airflow to the cooler.

Do let us know how it turns out though.

CN

Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure u set them up to pull the air through not push.

and you would be surprised how much air these things can move, and how quite they are. I have built a number of "gaming" puters and my personel few have at the least 4-120mm fans and my gaming rig has 4-120mm, and 7- 80mm fans in the case w/ a temp controlled "fan bus" to control the speeds........ yeah I like puters almost as much as my bikes[&:]

as to weather I would say that they wont last in any wet, including washing the bike. they are def. not sealed in any way, I can attest to that from mod'ing them to my own specs.

but hey good luck with this and post some pics.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2007, 02:13 AM
bonnie john
Advanced

wire the fans into your front brake light switch

then hold the brake on at every stop

Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that post you saw here was moun ting the fans on an HD low mounted cooler, not a Jagg.
I have a jagg also (wouldn't be without it) and wolud like to know what you wind up doing. I've thought about mounting the fans on a bracket on the side of the cooler to pull air through. Take a look at how the Buell coolers are mounted to see what I mean .

Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bonnie john

wire the fans into your front brake light switch

then hold the brake on at every stop
That's the best idea I've heard yet! Another one would be to install one of those HD auxillary switch panels that fit next to the handlebar grips. Then you would have access at the push of a button. Your idea is just as good, and cheaper.

Quick Reply: oil cooler fans