Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
91hdfxr64
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil

I had a leaking oil coming from the drain plug out of the elvoution motor(1340). I noticed that drain plug is a screw (not a bolt). I need your advice on this. Should I get the bolt to tighen it to stop the leak? To remove the screw for oil change, counterclockwise or clockwise?

Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
mchaous
Cruiser
Default RE: leaking oil

Which screw are you refering too? What year is the bike? There are three different oil areas in the engine. Primary, Transmittion and main. The bottom of the bike underneath there should be a large screw that takes about a 3/4 inch wrench. Can't remember it's size? It is the drain plug for the transmittion oil. If your bike is like mine, I have a 1992 Electra Glide, The main oil is drained from the bottom of the oil tank where there is a large screw there. The primary you have a small screw on the right side lower back end of the primary cover.

Hope this helps....Mark

Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 PM
91hdfxr64
Advanced
Default RE:more leaking oil

In the past few weeks, I had a leaking oil coming from my 1991 H-D FXRS-SP. When I started the bike up, the oil poured out hard and made a big mess . I went to get the 25 lbs of dry clean up soil. I went under the bike and found that oil was coming out of the lower male part of the crankcase. It was located underneath the another male part going to the oil filter. Acorrding to the service manual from Harley Davidson, it had a blueprint of the evolution oil system. I checked it and found that the oil spewed out need to be plugged. So help me out, Where can I get the plug to prevent the leaking and is this crankcase breather or what do u call it ?

Old 04-18-2005, 01:11 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RE:more leaking oil

ORIGINAL: 91hdfxr64

In the past few weeks, I had a leaking oil coming from my 1991 H-D FXRS-SP. When I started the bike up, the oil poured out hard and made a big mess . I went to get the 25 lbs of dry clean up soil. I went under the bike and found that oil was coming out of the lower male part of the crankcase. It was located underneath the another male part going to the oil filter. Acorrding to the service manual from Harley Davidson, it had a blueprint of the evolution oil system. I checked it and found that the oil spewed out need to be plugged. So help me out, Where can I get the plug to prevent the leaking and is this crankcase breather or what do u call it ?
From what you have described, it sounds like the engine is puking at start up. Normally if this is the case the check valve in the oil pump is stuck. If this is it you will have to unstick the check ball and this should fix it. I'm really not sure what you are referring to as male parts. You normally don't just plug something up to stop a leak, you have to fix the leak after you determine where it is coming from. Good luck.

John TN