Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Looking for route info - North Jersey to Wellsboro, PA

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for route info - North Jersey to Wellsboro, PA

Im looking for a nice route from North Jersey (Bergen County) to Wellsboro PA. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay off the major highways as much as possible (just because those roads are boring) Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Mark

Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey Mark --- I'd say, go up to Milford, and pick up 6 west. 6 goes right through Wellsboro. I'm not crazy about 6, east of Towanda --- not much to look at til you get to Wellsboro. The best riding in PA though, is west of Wellsboro. If you leave early enough in the day, you might as well take 80 over to 180 to Williamsport, and then up 15, and spend some time the next day, on nice riding, after you get here. I can give you some must-see, must-stop things to do after you're here.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Hey Mark --- I'd say, go up to Milford, and pick up 6 west. 6 goes right through Wellsboro. I'm not crazy about 6, east of Towanda --- not much to look at til you get to Wellsboro. The best riding in PA though, is west of Wellsboro. If you leave early enough in the day, you might as well take 80 over to 180 to Williamsport, and then up 15, and spend some time the next day, on nice riding, after you get here. I can give you some must-see, must-stop things to do after you're here.
Thanks for the response I appreciate it! Now all we need is some good weather (and I know that is out of our hands). Thanks again Geezer.

Regards,

Mark

Old 05-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Taranwanderer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like Geezer's suggestion of I-80 to I-180 into Williamsport and then up 15N to Rt. 6 (that stretch of 15 is like a deserted interstate, little traffic, and like an hour of rolling up/down hills, very nice.) That will put you out onto Rt.6 in Mansfield, pretty close to Wellsboro. But another Eastern route (if you want to avoid I-80) would be to come into PA, on 80, then pick up PA191N in Stroudsburg, take that all the way over I-84, then take the left onto PA196N, take that to PA296N, to Rt. 6 in Waymart. Left onto Rt 6W and it's a nice scenic road all the way to Wellsboro.

191, 196, and 296 are pretty rural/woodsy, if that's what you're after. When you get to Wellsboro, don't miss the overlook of the PA Grand Canyon at Leonard Harrison State Park.

Have fun!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Vibes
4th Gear

I know this is an old post but if you are looking for a nice trip to Wellsboro I would take 80 to the Snowshoe exit then take 144 up to Renovo. Then East on 120 till you see a sign for Hyners Veiw State park. Go to Hyner and check out the view. Much nicer than Colton Point. Leave the park and make the right and follow that road up to Rt. 44 and go East. Drop down into Waterville on 44 and take a left and go up through Little Pine State Park. Kind of a bumpy road but its spectacular riding. At the end of that road take a left onto R287 and run that north into Wellsboro. One of my favorite trips in Pa.

Just a reminder!! Make sure you fill your tank when you get off I80 because 144 is the most desolate road in Pa. and its probably 35 miles to Renovo.

I would stay off of 6 all together. Its not bad but there is so much RV traffic and the cops are pretty bored up that way. Try traveling 120 from Locke Haven to St. Marys Pa. I think that is the best road in the East. Stop in for your free beer at the Straub Brewerys eternal tap at the end of the ride in St. Marys Pa.

Get your map out and pick a route anywhere in that area. I suggest the triple nickel out of Sinnemahoning up to Bennezette. Watch out for Elk and Elk lookers. Any road out of Emporium is nice to. Head North and you will end up on U.S. 6.

Happy riding.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey Boxer --- If you haven't left yet, see post #2 for how to get here. See post #5 for some stuff to do the next day or 2, but not the trip to get here.