Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Vermont ride suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vermont ride suggestions

Hello, I am looking for ride suggestions through Vt. I am thinking of going North to South out of Northern NH ( I could also go South to North ). I'd like to ride through the Northern Kingdom and see the Green Mountains. I have been to Vt a few times, but not enough. I have read/heard that Rt.100 is a very good ride, so that is what I am considering. Probably only spend one night in VT, then hit it home for Bangor through Southern NH. Thanks to those that may reply.

Last edited by Artlee; 06-19-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only done the southern part of 100 - very scenic. 9, going E-W in the lower portion is nice also (the view off Hedghog Mt are great - or so I hear - if you get there when it's not fogged in/clouded over). If you haven't done Quechee Gorge, that is a cool place to stop and rubber neck. Rt 4, isn't the best in the world, but you only have to watch one large crack meander thru the lane - so it isn't a horrible road by any means.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the reply bogieb, and yes, I have been to Quechee Gorge - many years ago.
I should put that on the spots go through, Buell's Gore is another spot to check I think.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My wife and I love southern VT and we usually hit that area twice a year. There are 2 motorcycle friendly B&B's in W. Dover VT on the southern end of RT 100 about 8 miles north of RT 9. They are the Kitzoff Inn and the Gray Ghost Inn. They are within a mile of each other and both are on the northbound side of RT 100. The owners of both are riders and I highly recommend both Inns. There is a decent restaurant between them within walking distance (closer to the Kitzoff) but the name escapes me at the moment. It has a red silo roof.

VT took a pounding last year from the hurricane, but they have bounced back pretty good. RT 100 is a decent N/S road but it is rough in some places. RT 9 E/W had some major rework done too but all is well now. Check out Hog Back Mtn on RT 9 east of Wilmington VT. Nice view.

Last edited by soos; 06-26-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the reply and info soos. I forgot about the hurricane hell that Vt. went through, it was bad from what I saw in the paper. But, as I am from Maine, rough roads are normal.
Beautiful state Vermont, I don't get over there enough.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Ahh, the Quechee Gorge...........we haven't had a jumper there yet this year. Last year right around this time soos was going through there when we had a jumper.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Ahh, the Quechee Gorge...........we haven't had a jumper there yet this year. Last year right around this time soos was going through there when we had a jumper.
Yeah, timing is everything. They were just opening up the road when I went thru.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Damn phone call from the sergeant about that jumper interrupted my camping trip last year. Heading camping this Friday, let's see if we have another.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went thru Memorial Day weekend, 9 was great - they did a nice job getting it back to rights. No view off Hogback as I was literally riding thru the rainclouds and visibility was about 50 ft (a bit scary actually). Pick a sunny day to go thru that if you can!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're ever feeling adventurous and you are on Rte 100 about midstate up into Vermont, you may want to try Lincoln Gap Rd. It can be picked up in Warren. It is a seasonal road and is paved from 100 to just about the top on the eastern side of the Green Mtns. As you go down the western side, it is a graded gravel road. Quite a ride. You will come out on 17/116 on the western side. You can take 17 back over the mountains. I call Rte 17 the Dragon of Vermont. It has some nice tight twisties and at the top there is a parking area where you can look west and see the road twisting up. Coming back down on the eastern side of the mountains, you will go by Mad River Glen ski area and then back on to rte 100.

Quick Reply: Vermont ride suggestions