Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Upstate NY Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upstate NY Suggestions

I'm planning a week long trip to upstate NY and am looking for some suggestions of good day routes/attractions that are a must do. I plan on staying in the Lake George area. Never been north/east/west of there so am quite unfamiliar with where to go and what to see. Basically anything from a 150-250 mile day rides.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Off the top of my head, ride north out of Lake George on 9N, good ride along the lake to Ticonderoga. Almost any direction should be good riding. There is also a good harley dealer in Fort Ann along route 4.

There is a scenic mountain that you can ride up at the south end of Lake George great views on a clear day. If your into amusement parks there is a 6 flags south of lake george. Boat cruises or rent a boat or jet ski for the day on the lake. Fireworks over the lake on Thursday (I think, might be wednesdays).

You may also want to check out the Americade forums at www.tourexpo.com sometimes you can find directions for rides on that forum. We travel up that way about once a year and have never found bad riding. You can also head over toward Vermont and ride some nice areas over there, including ferry rides.

Hope that helps.

When are you going to be up that way? Heading up August 1-8 and staying at Lake George Escape in Warrensburg. Very bike friendly campground with on sight bar and grill.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lake Placid is a nice ride from Lake George.

If you are staying IN Lake George, Marine Village Resort is right on Canada Street with plenty of parking, nice deck and beach with boat docks on their own property. Even better when traveling by bike is there's a grocery store is a block or two away cross the street.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:09 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no bad motorcycle roads in these mountains.

If you are in Lake George, I suggest a route north through Ticonderoga. Rts. 22 & 9N along Lake Champlain separate in Westport & both lead into interesting country. Left on 9N heads toward the mountains; 22 plays into the Champlain Valley.

If you can find County Highway 7 just north of Ticonderoga on 9N (just beyond signs for “Street Road”) you will discover some of my favorite twisties. It links back up with 9N in Elizabethtown & heads toward Keene. Beyond is the road to Lake Placid through the scenic “Cascades”.

If you are in Lake George, I’d definitely ride into Lake Placid, perhaps tour up Whiteface Mountain Memorial Highway.

A classic Visit the Adirondacks Tour would include Saranac Lake on Rt 30 through Long Lake & back toward Lake George on Rt. 28.

The Old Forge & Speculator areas are also good riding / vacation territories.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 07-16-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Definitely Lake Placid area, and Whiteface. A few of us rode there from PA last summer, for an overnight. Maybe a ride up to Plattsburgh & across the ferry into VT, and back south in VT to the ferry at Fort Ticonderoga?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM
SlimsSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info/ideas. We'll be staying just outside of Lake George village at a place called Antigua Resort. For 4 days.

Going to head back towards the city on Saturday the 13th in time for the suicide run that the Blue Knights organize through the city on Sunday. Guess it will be nice, something different as the last two years we went put to Sturgis!