Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Pennsylvania Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pennsylvania Vacation

The wife and I are going to start our two week adventure in Pennsylvania and head south along the BRP. I can't believe she totally trusts me to make plans. My plan is to take a couple days in each State along the way and enjoy the sites. Her plan is to get romantic in as many States a possible. Can you say lucky man!

I'm looking at the Lock Haven or Altoona area. Want to see some romantic sites and a couple "Can't Miss" locations. I will have a fully loaded bagger so no white knuckle rides are planned.

Leaving July 16th with no reservations. If it's raining to the North, we'll head South. Raining in the East, we can sit and let it blow by. Why force it if Mother Nature has other plans. We still have 2 weeks to see the Smokeys. What does Pennsylvania have to offer?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Aussie_61
Stage IV

http://www.walkaboutinn.com/Outback.php

Welcome to the Inn

The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed and Breakfast is a peaceful, romantic getaway located in the heart of Amish Country in Lancaster County. Whether it is a special anniversary weekend or a trip to the local outlets, you will experience a unique blend of Pennsylvania Dutch hospitality and luxurious accommodations at The Walkabout.
The main house was built in 1925 by a cabinet maker. The original owners were part of the well-known Herr family. The historic Hans Herr house is just minutes away. All of the interior woodwork is American chestnut and both the parlor and dining room have beautiful eight foot tall pocket doors hand-crafted of this rare American hardwood.
Hardwood floors, oriental rugs and antique furnishings invite you to experience a blessing of history. Jacuzzi soaking baths, hot tubs, luxury linens and massage therapists beckon you to take pleasure in the pampering of modern amenities. All suites have a private bath with shower, cable TV with DVD players, air conditioning and refrigerators. A collection of books and movies is available for your enjoyment and relaxation.
At The Walkabout every guest is a special part of the family. Complimentary beverages upon arrival and the sweet aroma of the kitchen invite you to experience Elegant Charm in the Heart of Amish Country. A full gourmet breakfast is served each morning in our dining room and features the fresh produce, meats and dairy products from local growers and farmers.
Our logo is an Aborigine symbol which means "a journey with a resting place". We hope that you will find the Australian Walkabout Inn Bed and Breakfast a comfortable, relaxing place for you to unwind and take refuge from your journeys of life.
The Australian word Walkabout means: to go about and discover new places.
You too can easily embark on your own Walkabout of the town's nearby attractions from our conveniently located Inn. Or you might simply choose to enjoy touring the Amish countryside for which Lancaster County is known.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Map these out, or do some Google searches to see if there are websites & pics:
Kinzua Dam & Kinzua Bridge State Park
PA Grand Canyon
Hyner View
Hyner View is on 120. 120 is one of the nicest, most leisurely, 50 mph, hardly-any-traffic rides in the state, IMO. Map it out from around St Marys PA. After Hyner View, it's about 25 miles into Lock Haven via 120 east. Maybe watch some hang-gliding at hyner if it's a nice weekend. Go to hynerclub.com

Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Map these out, or do some Google searches to see if there are websites & pics:
Kinzua Dam & Kinzua Bridge State Park
PA Grand Canyon
Hyner View
Hyner View is on 120. 120 is one of the nicest, most leisurely, 50 mph, hardly-any-traffic rides in the state, IMO. Map it out from around St Marys PA. After Hyner View, it's about 25 miles into Lock Haven via 120 east. Maybe watch some hang-gliding at hyner if it's a nice weekend. Go to hynerclub.com
That looks so sweet. That Walkabout Inn looked nice until I saw the prices. Two weeks on the road we're looking at a lot of Super 8's.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD
That looks so sweet. That Walkabout Inn looked nice until I saw the prices. Two weeks on the road we're looking at a lot of Super 8's.

Nothing says romance,like sex in a Super 8

Old 06-28-2011, 02:30 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Nothing says romance,like sex in a Super 8
OK, at our age, it's great to hear my wife say she want's to do it in as many states a possible. I don't know why I try to be gentle with you guys.

One thing I've learned, the romance starts long before you turn the key. If I get a good rate on a clean room I'm her hero.

Last edited by MyFirstHD; 06-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Besides, Lancaster & Amish country is pretty much just a tourist trap anyway.

Hey MyFirstHD --- Check this one out ---- Benezette PA. I think the Benezette Hotel has a website. I've never stayed there so I don't know what rooms are like, but I've eaten there. Benezette area has the largest population of free-roaming elk east of CO. It's not far off 120, and you can have burgers & beers, and maybe watch a few elk walking around. I always have to leave, about the time they all come out of the woods (to get home so I don't have to ride much in the dark), so it might be cool to stay there 1 night. As I said, not far from 120 & it's a nice ride too. It won't be 5 stars, but it'll be a place to lie down for the night.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:12 AM
pugs
Tourer

Lots of nice road in NEPA. Can't go wrong if you stay off the main highways. Route 6 has a great reputation, but recently there has been a lot of gas drilling in certain areas which has put a lot of trucks on these roads. 118 going into Williamsport is a nice ride and you can ride through Rickett's Glen park which is nice, 940 in Mt Pocono/ the poconos is nice. Grand Canyon of PA is nice. You should have a great trip with a lot of nice scenary. jim Thorpe is a nice little town to check out if you are near there. Just some thoughts.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

I think I'd head south before I got to the Poconos. If you get over there, you'll have to fight your way around Philadelphia to get to where you're going. You won't run into any natural gas truck traffic on 6 until you get well east of Wellsboro & the Grand Canyon. Lock Haven's only a few miles from I80. It's not far on 80 to get to 15 south. 15 runs into 81 near Harrisburg. You'll be 75 miles west of Philadelphia down there.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Besides, Lancaster & Amish country is pretty much just a tourist trap anyway.

Hey MyFirstHD --- Check this one out ---- Benezette PA. I think the Benezette Hotel has a website. I've never stayed there so I don't know what rooms are like, but I've eaten there. Benezette area has the largest population of free-roaming elk east of CO. It's not far off 120, and you can have burgers & beers, and maybe watch a few elk walking around. I always have to leave, about the time they all come out of the woods (to get home so I don't have to ride much in the dark), so it might be cool to stay there 1 night. As I said, not far from 120 & it's a nice ride too. It won't be 5 stars, but it'll be a place to lie down for the night.
Geezr, I'm starting to think we're kindred spirits. Tentative plans are Day 1 arrive in Lock Haven and mingle. Day 2 120 to 15 N through the PA GC then 287 / 414 back to Lock Haven. Day 3 the dam, hyner view and end at Benezette.

The Benezette Hotel doesn't sound bad. The July rates are $50 per nite. We can take 255 to 119 out of PA with a smile on our faces.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania Vacation