Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

North Hampton, NH- More Another Attempt at Loud Pipes Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And people are worried about rights of illegal aliens in Arizona...I've ridden to, spent money in and HAD planned on returning to Hampton...too many other places where I won't be hassled...thank you very much! My money is just as green elsewhere.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I still can't understand how cities/towns can pass motor vehicle laws that are more restrictive than the state's laws regarding those vehicles. I know I'm just an ignorant redneck but that just don't make sense to me.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
I still can't understand how cities/towns can pass motor vehicle laws that are more restrictive than the state's laws regarding those vehicles. I know I'm just an ignorant redneck but that just don't make sense to me.
They can pass them all they want..Then fine people based on the laws...It's up to the individual to fight it in court and get it thrown out....

Most towns are banking on people paying the fine and moving on, because court fees and time off are a pain...

Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

So then what happens when your state has 10 towns with MC noise ordinances? I would think that it becomes easier to make it statewide. And not to forget that the first thing they think of isn't decibels; it's a ban on modified exhausts.
"Yeah, that'll fix them noisy bikers."
How many other things have people just sat back and let happen? Brings to mind that my taxes will be supporting benefits for perverts who got "married". God is banned from school. Singles and childless couples have to pay school taxes. The list goes on.

Last edited by Quadancer; 05-19-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Point Man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rscazlo,

Thanks for posting the update on the vote. Despite the chief being anti-biker, he is at least doing the right thing by checking with the AG and the local courts. No sense giving orders to his guys to enforce something that'll get thrown out in local court.

We'll see what the next 60 days bring...

Old 05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
883forme
Stage I
Default North Hampton Article 26 Noise Ordinance

I live in Hampton and work in North Hampton. Do you have a copy of the actual article #26? I can't find it anywhere online. The Vice President of NHMRO sent me a copy via facebook but it states that North Hampton is enforcing the ordinance on the town of Hampton. A typo, I am sure, but it could be a very interesting loop hole.
I have attached the copy and underlined my interest.
It reads:

ARTICLE 26 - To see if the Town will vote to enact the following ordinance regulating the noise levels of motorcycles.

AN ORDINANCE REGULATING THE NOISE
LEVELS OF MOTORCYCLES
WHEREAS, on a daily basis the residents of North Hampton contend with noise pollution from various sources. A chief contributor of this excessive noise is motorcycle exhaust systems and

WHEREAS, to mitigate noise pollution, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has codified a motorcycle and a motorcycle exhaust system labeling program at 40 C.F.R. Section 205, 158.205.169, respectively, which requires motorcycle and motorcycles exhaust system manufacturers to attach a permanent label to their manufactured products stating that the product meets the EPA’s noise emission requirements; and

WHEREAS, the purpose of the labels is to ensure that specific motorcycles and exhaust systems fully comply with their tested noise emission requirements; and

WHEREAS, other municipalities including Boston, Denver and Fairfax County, Virginia have enacted ordinances requiring exhaust system labels to mitigate excessive noise pollution; and

WHEREAS, RSA 31:39 (n) authorizes towns in New Hampshire to enact ordinances regulating noise levels,

NOW THEREFORE, the Town of North Hampton enacts the following regulations;

No person shall park, use or operate a motorcycle within the Town of Hampton
manufactured after December, 31, 1982 that does not bear the required applicable EPA exhaust system label pursuant to C.F.R. Title 40, Volume24, Part 205, Subparts D and E, and any subsequent amendments thereto.
Any person who violates this ordinance shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less then $200 or more than $500.
Any person guilty of a subsequent violation of this ordinance occurring at least 10 days after a fist violation shall be guilty of a violation and fined not less than $500 or more than $1000.
The Police Department shall be responsible for enforcing this ordinance.
The Board of Selectmen shall cause signage to be erected throughout the Town notifying persons of this ordinance; the Town’s enforcement of it’ and the files for violation.
The provisions of this ordinance are severable. If any provision is invalidated by a court the other provisions shall remain in effect.
This ordinance shall take effect 60 days following its enactment.
By Petition

Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Point Man
Cruiser

I do not have a copy. I checked the town's website and could not find it. If you call or email town hall or the PD, someone must be able to provide an accurate copy.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

So if I read this correctly, IF I were to trailer my motorcycle to Hampton NH, take if off the trailer, and park it in my friend's driveway..........or maybe bring it in said trailer to Seacoast for some work; I am going to be fined because the bike was within the town limits? And apparently this fine applies even if said motorcycle is NEVER started? Oh yeah, are Hampton, and North Hampton NH the same place? How can the town of North Hampton enforce laws they choose to adopt on neighboring Hampton? I'm just a little confused here! Does anyone know where America disappeared to?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

Hampton, and North Hampton NH
No. Different towns.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 231 Posts
Default don't assume

Cities can and do pass ordinances that go against state law, take Myrtle Beach for example. Helmets are not required in SC but are within the city limits of MB. Then the emails flew but to no avail. Then the suits came, and they have more money. So the bikers say screw it and leave, and the town got what they wanted. Less noise, less traffic and also a lot less money.

So buy whatever pipes you like, and rev them up until car sirens go off all over the place, and all you are doing is putting nails into the coffin.

Quick Reply: North Hampton, NH- More Another Attempt at Loud Pipes Enforcement