Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Central MA-Random Bike Checkpoint!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also heard that in Sutton, Uxbridge area they are stopping to check DOT label on hemets, If you cannot produce a DOT helmet, bike gets towed. May only be a story.....don't shoot the messanger. Just passin it on in case???

Old 07-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagar the Horrible
I also heard that in Sutton, Uxbridge area they are stopping to check DOT label on hemets, If you cannot produce a DOT helmet, bike gets towed. May only be a story.....don't shoot the messanger. Just passin it on in case???
No way that's legal. If I was driving my car and I got stopped and my license was bad I'd have the option of a friend coming to pick up the car or it get towed. Don't see why they would not give you the option of having some one bring you a helmet. Or it's just a cash grab.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno how much time they give you to produce a helmet. just heard this story the other day,

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
BBQ.Uncle
Tourer

Originally Posted by Slaps
No way that's legal. If I was driving my car and I got stopped and my license was bad I'd have the option of a friend coming to pick up the car or it get towed. Don't see why they would not give you the option of having some one bring you a helmet. Or it's just a cash grab.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Actually, it's a cash grab as well as a power grab. If they can make it inconvenient to travel through town, you'll avoid it. I'd like to see a class action suit filed in this case.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
BBQ.Uncle
Tourer

http://www.massmotorcycle.org/conten...&item_id=10044

MMA ALERT: Motorcycle-Only Safety Checks in Sterling, MA

Friday, July 24, 2009

This year, a significant number of cases have been reported of Law Enforcement creating their own versions of Massachusetts General Law concerning Sound Enforcement for Motorcycles. This has taken the form of roadside stops and warnings, to the recently enacted City Ordinance in Boston, to a recent “Motorcycle-Only Safety Check” in the small hamlet of Sterling, Massachusetts. The Massachusetts Motorcycle Association is working with our members to be more aware of these incidents as well as help our members fight unlawful citations.

In the latter case, Police have worked diligently over the past few weeks to stop only Motorcycles around the intersection of Routes 140 and 62 in Sterling to perform “Safety Checks”. Reports of “hundreds” of Motorcycles being stopped and cited for anything from illegal Helmets to a lack of EPA stamp on their Motorcycle Exhaust or other safety equipment violations. More than a dozen MMA members have corroborated this report and the MMA is providing them with Information Kits concerning the “real” Massachusetts General Law. We encourage all Motorcyclists to join the MMA to obtain this information and fight any citations issued that they feel are unjust.

In order to collect and provide more information, the MMA invites all Motorcyclists - Members and Friends - to attend the next monthly Worcester County meeting at the Singletary Rod and Gun Club 300 Sutton Ave Oxford MA on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 730 PM. This issue will be the main focus topic of discussion - more background on the issues, the "real" Massachusetts General Law, and how to respond. Several MMA Board Members will be in attendance to address these and any questions.

In the interim, if you are stopped, without question, you want to be respectful and cooperative. While perhaps ill informed, these are still Law Enforcement Officers. Please remember to:

Obtain the officer’s name and department – he or she should be wearing and/or carrying identification. You have every right to it. If the officer refuses to provide any, you have the right to call 911 and inform them you’ve been stopped by someone who has refused to identify themselves.

Make notes (and if possible take pictures – many cell phones have cameras today) of the procedures being used to inspect and test your motorcycle. You are NOT legally required to assist in those tests.

You are NOT legally required to answer any unreasonable questions without advice of legal counsel.

Contact the MMA with the name and description of the officer and any other details you can provide regarding the incident. If you are issued a warning or citation, we would like a copy of that document and will work with you to fight it in a Massachusetts court of law.

For additional information, please contact legislativedirector@massmotorcycle.org or chairman@massmotorcycle.org

Last edited by BBQ.Uncle; 08-07-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
higg47
Road Master

Six days a week I count the papers and put them in the racks at my friends small store while he opens up and another regular makes the coffee. When I saw the T&G this AM all I could think was "a day late and a dollar short". Within a half hour it was the talk of the store among those that ride. $$$$$$.....is the answer. Last weeks news.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 PM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i live in the uxbridge area. nothing going on with stoping bikes.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Point Man
Cruiser

I drove through Sterling/Princeton this Sunday, stopping at the Rendezvous 140. Lots of bikes; good time.

During the time I was there, I did not observe "all that noise" that Chief Chamberland spoke of (see below quote).

Here's the last few paragraphs from the T&G article from 8/14 on the checkpoints:

...“I’ve received quite a lot of feedback about the checkpoints,” Chief Chamberland said. “Although I’m getting some negative comments from motorcyclists, the general public is very pleased with them.”

Chief Chamberland said he has no more checkpoints with RMV officials planned at this time, but he vows to keep on top of the noise levels.

“We’re going to continue to monitor the situation and see if the past checkpoints were sufficient,” he said. “Some residents have noticed an improvement, but I’m not sure if that’s because of the enforcement or due to other factors.

“I’m a motorcyclist myself, but there’s just no need for all the noise.”

In my opinion, it's probably a good idea that he does not have anymore checkpoints planned because the chief is one step away from having at least one civil rights lawsuit filed against him and his agency.

Chief, with all due repect, if your reading this, here's your notice. Your Selective Enforcement tactics didn't work out like you planned. If you're going to target a segment of the population in your jursidiction and not follow proper state and federal laws regarding search and seizure, make sure that segment is uneducated and ignorant, because many of us "motorcyclists" do know the law and when their rights have been violated.

Feel free to share this link with the Town's attorney(s) and selectmen. I'd bet they would prefer not to spend the town's money fighting uneccessary lawsuits of this nature.

Oh and one more thing chief, it's unprofessional to not return phone calls....from fellow motorcyclists-like yourself...

Last edited by Point Man; 08-18-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 AM
TCC
Road Captain

Thought some people would be interested in this.

MMA Information Update and Call to Action:

MA Motorcyclists fight for their rights (and yours) in Sterling

Fellow Freedom Fighters sacrifice over $3,000 in lost wages and fees for Motorcyclists’ Rights!

Mark your calendars: Nov 7th, 1 pm @ the One-Forty Rendezvous Pub, Sterling, MA.

$15 in Advance; $20 donation at the door.

On Friday, October 2, fifteen motorcyclists stood up for their rights! And yours! Each contested tickets that the Massachusetts Motorcycle Association believes were wrongly, unsafely and unconstitutionally issued at the intersections of Route 62 and 140 on July 15th in Sterling, MA. These brave motorcyclists sacrificed time and money to defend the freedom to ride for all motorcyclists in the State, instead of paying the tickets. All MMA Members were represented pro bono by Attorney Paul Lancia of Fall River. The MMA and Attorney Lancia have pledged to proudly stand together to defend these Riders.

Individual hearings began at approximately 9:30 AM, each lasting approximately 20 minutes. MMA Chairman Dave Condon and Membership Manager Cheryl Frodermann joined them in a show of support at the Clinton District Court. Citations alleged ‘violations’ targeting helmets, noise, non-stock pipes, tire treads, and lights. Riders described a check-point involving approximately ten police officers from the towns of Sterling and Princeton, and RMV staff. Solo and groups of riders were harassed and ticketed in a manner in conflict with the law.

For example, no sound meters were used to determine if the pipes indeed exceeded legal noise limits; both DOT and non-DOT stickered helmets were deemed illegal; older bikes exempted under State law were fined. In addition, the pull-off area was a hazardous dirt surface with extensive gravel, large pot-holes, and uneven and crumbling pavement at an extremely busy intersection, placing the riders and local drivers at risk of damage to their vehicles, serious injury, and possibly death.

MMA board members learned from conversations with many of the motorcyclists that the overwhelming majority was forgoing wages in a combined excess of $2,600. In addition, all were required to pay $25 cash-only filing fee in order to contest their ticket with the magistrate. Any rider seeking to appeal the ruling in an effort to seek justice from a judge required an additional immediate filing fee of $50 cash. In Sterling, Justice costs at minimum $75 and a couple of days’ pay!

At the end of the day, some were won. Some were not, and will require further appeal. Though no consistency in the Magistrate’s rulings were evident to any, Chairman Condon and Attorney Lancia were not surprised by such unpredictability at this level in the court system.

Attorney Lancia will be available to represent pro bono any MMA Member who wishes to contest similar tickets issued that day. Any member with a hearing scheduled in the remainder of October should get it re-scheduled for mid- to late November. Motorcyclists who feel they were wrongfully cited or harassed by the Sterling police this summer should contact the MMA at (800) 432-1662 and Attorney Lancia at BikerJusticeNow.com, PALancia@aol.com or (774) 929-9065.

All riders who did not win their hearing on Friday have agreed to continue the fight and appeal the Magistrate’s ruling. Attorney Paul Lancia will continue to represent MMA Members free of charge before a judge beginning 8:45 AM on November 16 and November 23rd. If necessary, Attorney Lancia and the MMA are determined to take these cases to the Supreme Judicial Courts for justice.

Many of the motorcyclists the MMA spoke to on Friday, while not in a position to sacrifice hard-earned wages were deeply concerned that if they did not contest the tickets their insurance companies would hit them with steep surcharges over the next six years totaling upwards of $1,800 each. Some would be unable to afford to ride. Some had families; others were out of work due to the recession. Most could not afford the filing fees.

The MMA has always believed if we do not defend our rights, we will lose them. Sterling police are trying to send a loud message to all motorcyclists: stay out of our town or we will make you pay! And they don’t seem to care about the law. The motorcyclists who were ticketed in Sterling and who decided to contest their tickets have heroically stepped up to the truly American fight -- for freedom!

These are the real heroes of our legal system! Help the MMA help them fight the good fight!

After Friday’s hearings, the MMA and Attorney Lancia visited the popular pub the 140 Rendezvous, for a beer and burgers. Until mid-July, the pub was a common destination for many motorcyclists to gather during rides for refreshments, rest and meeting up with friends. Pub owner, Steve explained that business was off anywhere from 50- 75% daily since the July harassment. Bartender Melissa said the harassment of motorcyclists in July “killed us.” -- They had to cancel the famous BBQs because motorcyclists that used to come great distances to the area, “just stopped coming.”

In solidarity and support for the local business and the Freedom Fighters the MMA will be holding a fundraiser. The event will be held Saturday November 7th at the One-Forty Rendezvous Pub, 344 Redemption Rock Trail Road (Route 140) in Sterling starting at 1 PM, $15 for reservations or $20 payable at the door. There will be a live band and light snacks. The bar and grill will also be open for customers. The event will help the MMA defray costs incurred by the Freedom Fighters while defending all motorcyclists’ rights. Reservations may be made on the MMA website or purchase them from your local MMA Officers or at the Pub until the end of October.

Please join us in honoring them! Four-wheel it if it is too cold or raining. If you cannot make it, please support these American heroes by visiting the MMA website to make a donation or by mailing a check payable to the Massachusetts Motorcycle Association Legal Defense Fund, P.O. Box 378, Brimfield, MA 01010. We hope to see you in Sterling on November 7!

For more information, please see http://www.massmotorcycle.org or contact chairman@massmotorcycle.org

Quick Reply: Central MA-Random Bike Checkpoint!