Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Route 287 Incident

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got caught up in the traffic jam on my way from Parsippany back to NY, but was lucky enough to hear about the accident ahead of time, although I did not know it involved a motorcycle. Traffic was horrendous and both the North and South lanes were closed while the Medi Vac Helicopter was called in.

My condolences go out to the family of the deceased and her husband who is still in Morristown Hospital from what I hear. I travel I-287 every day and it is like a speedway and with all the road trash, retread tire debris, it is like an obstacle course. Bad enough in a car, but even worse on a bike.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGlide04
I got caught up in the traffic jam on my way from Parsippany back to NY, but was lucky enough to hear about the accident ahead of time, although I did not know it involved a motorcycle. Traffic was horrendous and both the North and South lanes were closed while the Medi Vac Helicopter was called in.

My condolences go out to the family of the deceased and her husband who is still in Morristown Hospital from what I hear. I travel I-287 every day and it is like a speedway and with all the road trash, retread tire debris, it is like an obstacle course. Bad enough in a car, but even worse on a bike.
Yep. I travel on it everyday from Mahwah to Summit and back. If your not doing 80 mph or faster, you're going to be pushed. It's too bad because it's really a nice scenic road. I used to commute with my bike, but the pace is too fast for that many cars and trucks for my liking. Especially 6:00 am in the morning. Then throw in the deer factor.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boxer 6
Then throw in the deer factor.
and don't forget the a-holes on their cells too...

I also use that road alot, and it's only 15 minutes from home.

But so true about doing a min. of 80 on it. sucks....

Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a chill down my spine reading about this. I travel two-up with my wife often on 287 and yes, I ride a red bagger. The details are not clear as to how the rear tire failed and that sort of thing worries me. I constantly check tire pressure and the condition of the spokes and the tire itself. On the road I avoid any object no matter how small, knowing it could be sharp enough to puncture a tire. My wife has overcome a lot of health issues including neck surgery, and can now enjoy our riding together. She looks forward to it like nothing else we have ever done together, and we do a lot. Her safety is my number one priority when we ride. The thought of her getting hurt or worse in a crash is what keeps me vigilant. My heart goes out to Randy Smith. I can't imagine how he feels.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is really scary when you stop to think about it after something like this happens. And that's besides the fact that 287 is a nightmare to drive in a car!

I've sent my condolences to the family and I am praying for them.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

There is more road trash on I-287 from exit 66 at Mahwah down to 42 at Parsippany than any other road I've every ridden/driven on. I have hit and been hit by the strangest crap including contractor's tools, tire retread pieces, household crap and dodged a bunch of other stuff. I don't know the number of trucks that travel 287 but it is very high as evidenced by the daily piles of retread along the road. I've seen contractor's ladders on the side of the road on more than one occasion and my old Taurus was actually hit by a small circular saw blade that fell off a truck in front of me. It took out the transmission cooler and when I got to work and parked, my car looked like it had been shot, red fluid all over the parking lot.

And then there was the $800 bumper replacement on a new Camry hit by a tire retread, and on and on. As much as it sucks, I'll still ride to work from time to time, but am very careful about road trash and cell phone talkers at 6:00 in the morning.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
asolare123
Intermediate

This may be straying off a little here, but has anyone seen or heard of "run flat" tires for bikes? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. From what has been written about this particular accident, it doesn't seem to be known if the tire just failed or it was punctured by some of the road debris that others and myself have encountered on I-287. Either way, it seems that affordable "run flat" technology for tube type tires is something that would be worth exploring considering how little contact we have with the road on the two wheels that we do have. Just a thought....

Chris in PA
2008 Heritage Softail Classic

Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

I think the police bikes come with not run flat, but tires that don't separate from the rims if they do have a blow out. The downside is less weight capacity and I think a little harder ride, they're really not for civilian use.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Screw 287 at all but VERY off hour riding......and I find myself doing that sort of riding more and more these days....thank God.

My prayers go out to the people involved.