Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Travel ??? to World Trade Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 PM
392heminut
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel ??? to World Trade Center

I'm going to be in New Jersey (East Brunswick) with my son and grandson July 9-12 while they are attending a football camp at Princeton. I've got about 12 hours to kill each day and thought I would go see the WTC site. I'm a retired New Mexico police officer and was on duty on 9-11, and have always wanted to visit the site. I know absolutely nothing about NYC and have never been there. I wanted to see if any of you who live there can give me recommendations on how to get to the WTC. I'll be in a rental car and I can get online driving directions there, but I'm not sure if driving there is the best way to do it, as oppossed to mass transit and I don't know what the parking situation would be there if I did drive all the way. So, do any of you Big Apple folks have words of wisdom for this desert rat? I'm open for any other suggestions on what to do while I'm there also.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Travel ??? to World Trade Center

Wow, not sure a desert rat like yourself wants to hit NYC by yourself driving.

Right in New Brunswick, you can pick up New Jersey Transit.&nbsp\\; You can take that into NYC, Penn Station and then take the 1 train down to the former world trade.&nbsp\\; They are doing a lot of work to build it up.&nbsp\\; Better, see some good things, not bad - walk down Wall Street to South Street Seaport and the Fulton Fish Market, take the 4-5-6 train back up to Central Park - get off around 86th, and walk back down Fifth Avenue - in a 40 block walk you'll pass the Central Park Zoo, the Pierre Hotel, The Plaza, Trump Tower, many of Manhattan's best known stores (Saks), Rockerfeller Center, and at 34th, be at the Empire State.&nbsp\\; Hang a right at 34th, and you'll walk with the Avenue numbers going up past Macy's and you'll be back at Penn Station for NJT ride home.

And, oh yeah, the NYC subway is fine..

Any more ideas, buzz me..

Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Wow, not sure a desert rat like yourself wants to hit NYC by yourself driving.

&nbsp\\;
[sm=exactly.gif]&nbsp\\;It can't be much worse than L.A. and I've dealt with that several times, but if there's an eisier way I'm all for it! Thanks for the fast response Nine and I appreciate the info, exactly the sort of stuff I'm looking for. I believe the Statue of Liberty is right there near the WTC, so I'll probably check that out too. If anyone else wants to jump in here with more info or suggestions please do so!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:40 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe most of the statue is closed, but you can get a ferry there from either New Jersey (Jersey City) or Battery Park, near WTC.&nbsp\\; http://www.statuecruises.com/tickets...\\;itemid=2225

I've been to both LA and NYC.&nbsp\\; LA has fairly high speed freeways, and traffic on those freeways.&nbsp\\; NYC is cabs.&nbsp\\; Cabs, Cabs and more cabs in narrow spaces.&nbsp\\; A few examples of how they differ:

&nbsp\\; - While these are not the laws, the right lane is for turning right, virtually always.&nbsp\\; The second lane is right or going straight.&nbsp\\; If you decide at the last minute, you can also turn right from the third lane, so someone going straight from the second lane needs to heed traffic outside of it.

&nbsp\\; - I once got a j-walking ticket in Melrose - people crossing across the light are rarely an issue in LA.&nbsp\\; In NY, if you don't cross against the light when there is no traffic, a sea of people will run you over from behind.

&nbsp\\; - Similarly, if you attempt to stop with a yellow light showing, expect the three cabs behind you to now be physically attached to your back bumper...

I say this for some humor, but while there is "traffic" in other cities - Atlanta, Washington, LA, there just aren't the same traffic conditions as New York - both from custom and yellow cabs.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Bryan53
Tourer

New York driving sucks.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have lived in Jersey my whole life.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have driven in NYC many times and would highly recommend against it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I hate driving there.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The road surface is terrible and you have to pay more attention to what other people are doing than if I was on my scoot in rush hour in jersey.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Being in New Brunswick makes it easy to find public transportation and cheaper too.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The bridges to get to the city are expensive.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The GWBridge is $9 I think plus the 3 or 4 bucks to get up the Turnpike would prolly get you to the city on a train.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Parking costs $30 or more in the city and I wouldn't trust leaving a dime in the cup holder is some of those cheap places.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If you do decided to drive in park at the port authority bus terminal just after going through the tunnel.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Take the subway down to WTC.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Getting to the Statue I have no advice since I haven't been there in years.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
In response to above about crossing crosswalks.&nbsp\\; If you don't walk when there is a break in traffic then you will either be followed, pickpocketed, mugged or all three.&nbsp\\; And when I say break in traffic I really mean if there are cars coming up the street at 35mph and there is enough time for you to cross you better cross.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

Bryan, I realized after I wrote it, that I mentioned the walking for two reasons.&nbsp\\; First, cause if you're gonna walk in the city.&nbsp\\; But also because it effects the way you drive.&nbsp\\; In Phoenix if you step off a curb the cars all along a 3 or 4 lane avenue will stop for you.&nbsp\\; In NYC, if you're coming down a side street or avenue and there is a sea of people crossing in front of you, you keep going cause they're conditioned to part when you get to them...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I've never been there.&nbsp\\; But I did manage a big truck stop in Michigan and have heard many horror stories from truck drivers who have traversed NYC.&nbsp\\; Bridge tolls, and there are lots of bridges, lots of traffic&nbsp\\; and stoppages.&nbsp\\; Drivers who had to go down Market St., (if I remember the street name correctly) and stopped at traffic lights, would have people break into their trailers as they sat there, and then make off with their goods.&nbsp\\; Not exactly the kind of place that extols its virtues of worldliness.....well now that I think about it....lol.&nbsp\\; If I ever go there it will be in a cab.&nbsp\\; Let them take the hit.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
ny06fxdb
Cruiser

If you are a retired Leo you might like to check out the police museum.I belive it's on water street.I haven' been there in a while.If you interested the website is www.nycpolicemuseum.org.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

NYC is great but walking is the way to get around, hell in heavy traffic I can walk faster then the cars move... If you do take the train to Penn Station take the "E" subway train downtown which will take you right to the WTC, when you are there be sure to go to the "10/10" Firehouse where there is a huge Bronze tribute to 9/11 down the side of the building&nbsp\\;and I do recommend walking east to the river where the Brooklyn Bridge is, South Street Seaport and other sites. If you really feel adventurous and want some REAL&nbsp\\;Italian food catch a cab to Little Italy, any of the restaurants there are good or they would go out of business in a heart beat.....wish I could go with ya, I love showing visitors around NYC.
Have fun and say a prayer at the WTC for me.
Bone

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many places in NYC to see and admire. You have been given a great group of them also. I will tell you MASS Transit, or shoe leather express is the only way to enjoy NYC. Seeing your a member of the Patriot Guard I would give a shout over there on the forum&nbsp\\;as NY has some great groups in that area. I have riden missions with the NYC/NYS group and they really know how to get around.
&nbsp\\;
Frank
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Travel ??? to World Trade Center