Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Travel ??? to World Trade Center

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Travel ??? to World Trade Center

The best way to describe how to drive in NYC and to a certain extent in JC is "Drive it like you stole it!" and scr&amp\\;w the other idiots on the road if they don't want there car bent out of shape they'll move their azz, if you don't want your car bent out of shape-Why are you driving?&nbsp\\; There's no time to be nice or even obey the traffic laws.&nbsp\\; I've seen people run the red light on a&nbsp\\;draw bridge, while the bride was preparing to open!
&nbsp\\;
I highly recommend walking and/or mass transit, especially if you've never been there before.&nbsp\\; You'll enjoy your visit much more and actually get to see the sights rather than&nbsp\\;spending all your time looking for&nbsp\\;parking and&nbsp\\;getting&nbsp\\;frustrated in traffic.&nbsp\\; Little Italy is a must, the most authentic Italian food I've ever had in a public restaurant&nbsp\\;this side of the Atlantic.&nbsp\\; Don't ask what's in it, just eat it and enjoy.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Bryan53
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Bryan, I realized after I wrote it, that I mentioned the walking for two reasons. \\\\\\; First, cause if you're gonna walk in the city. \\\\\\; But also because it effects the way you drive. \\\\\\; In Phoenix if you step off a curb the cars all along a 3 or 4 lane avenue will stop for you. \\\\\\; In NYC, if you're coming down a side street or avenue and there is a sea of people crossing in front of you, you keep going cause they're conditioned to part when you get to them...

You know I never realized that before but you are right. If I am in the city and see a sea of people crossing the street I keep going. I might slow but never hit the brakes. Heck if you hit the brakes in that situation you are getting rearended.

I always laugh when there is a guy at a green light waiting for all the people to stop crossing. Most of the time it is a plate from somewhere other than the northeast. You just have to go they will get out of the way.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

Wow, great info here! Thanks to all of you for your responses. I'm not going to try driving in NYC, I'll just stick to mass transit and walking. I just got home from a week in Juarez Mexico, and from your descriptions it sounds like NYC traffic is a lot like Juarez. Those people are crazy down there, and I don't think I saw a vehicle there that didn't have some type of body damage unless it was new! Again, thanks for the responses. I fly out early in the morning (Tuesday) and am really looking forward to seeing NYC!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

Mass Transit and shoe leather is the best way to see NYC by far.
While you are at the WTC site be sure to visit these two places both are on Liberty Street which is the road that borders the southern part of the&nbsp\\;WTC site&nbsp\\;and chat with the NYPD guys that are down there working security.
&nbsp\\;
http://www.tributewtc.org/index.php
&nbsp\\;
http://www.fdnytenhouse.com/
&nbsp\\;
Bone

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I visited the site in 2005.&nbsp\\; Drove my pickup there. For this country boy that has lived in the everglades all his life, I was a total basketcase. I don't know how I got out of there with all my fenders.&nbsp\\; Red lights and general rules of the road mean nothing to those people.&nbsp\\; I will never ever drive there again.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

LOL...I drive there all the time but I'm from NY so I can deal with the pace and the traffic, but people who aren't from around here are always amazed at how crazy the cabs drivers are and just the volume of cars and people there....I love it...NYC is my town so I took the 9/11 attacks very personally.
Bone

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
02 king kong
Cruiser

I would recommend driving to Hoboken or Jersey City and taking the Path train&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to the WTC from there you can use the subway or bus service to get around the City.
Feel free to e mail me for any Info. I'm actually working right across the street at the new&nbsp\\;Goldman Sachs Tower.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vikingnomad

LOL...I drive there all the time but I'm from NY so I can deal with the pace and the traffic, but people who aren't from around here are always amazed at how crazy the cabs drivers are and just the volume of cars and people there....I love it...NYC is my town so I took the 9/11 attacks very personally.
Bone
Nomad,

It is sure different for me. I live in a town population 1100. Man, I hope I don't have to get use to that. That was my only time in NYC. Visited Yankee Stadium and was there when Jeter hit his first career grand slam. I do have a nephew that lives there and passed under the WTC in the subway the morning that wicked cowardly act took place. I pray it was personal to all Americans. If not then they need to leave IMO.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very emotional there. They have the time line of when all the activity took place on 9-11.

NEVER FORGET

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

I agree with what you say..ALL AMERICANS should have been personally affected by the events of 9/11 but the sad truth is many people in the US think it happened somewhere else like NYC isn't part of the USA......example, I was at the International Bike Show in NYC last Jan. and there was a pickup truck that was all painted up as a tribute to 9/11 and the guys there told me they might not take the truck to the Atlanta show as many people there think 9/11 wasn't an attack against America because it didn't happen to them, just to NYC and Washington DC.....wake up America or it WILL happen again.
Bone
Proud American

Quick Reply: Travel ??? to World Trade Center