Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

York, PA from Southern Maine

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default York, PA from Southern Maine

I am thinking about taking a trip to the York Factory and then stop over in Gettysburg and head home.

A couple questions:

What route should I take down.&nbsp\\; I'm all set until I get to NY.&nbsp\\; How should I get thru (or around)NYC?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Then what route thru NY/PA?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I'm pretty much on a tight schedule so it'll be day 1 ride, day 2 visit, day 3 visit, day 4 ride home.

I'll be riding alone on my Sporty.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I don't have a backrest so how the heck am I going to strap 'supplies' down to the bike?

I'm planning to stay at a KOA if I can get into their cabins(no room for tent on the bike I don't think).&nbsp\\; Any particular one in the area - or any good motel/hotel to try?

Any other tips?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Places to stop/rest/eat along the way?&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 PM
bailer01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: York, PA from Southern Maine

Mike,
&nbsp\\;
I live in PA and time wise...81 south. If possible, stay on 11/15 down to York. 81 is a nice ride but going through Scranton and Hazleton sucks! too many cars and trucks. 11/15 is a little safer.
&nbsp\\;
When you get to York, the factory is right on 30...the same road leads to Gettysburg.
&nbsp\\;
I always recommend Hampton Inn.
&nbsp\\;
When are you coming in? You must try the Springhouse Tavern in Gettysburg. Let me know when you will be here. I will welcome you to PA with the first round of COLD brew!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
beltfedM60E3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
When are you coming down?
I have a brother that lives over in Alfred,Maine. When I want to make time, I go up I81 to I84, and 90, 95.
That said, when I want to enjoy the ride, I go up Route&nbsp\\;222 (North) to Route 22, North on Route 33, hop on I 80 east up to Route 209, up to I84. Rt. 209 follows the Deleware River, scenic, but slow.
If you come down I81, you hit I83, which hits the York Plant/Rt. 30. Rt. 30 is pokey, lots of traffic lights down to Gettysburg. The KOA outside of Gettysburg is nice and not to far off of the beaten path.
&nbsp\\;
I'm actually going to be in Danbury, CT on June 11-that is about 250 miles from my place in Manheim,PA. It will be a good 3+hour ride.
When we went up to&nbsp\\;my brothers place we did it&nbsp\\;in about 9 hours...&nbsp\\;
The Perkins in Matamoras/Pt. Jarvis is good-to-go!
If I can help with directions or what not, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell #. I'm about a half hour away from the York Plant.
Sled

Old 06-07-2008, 03:52 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have an exact date yet.&nbsp\\; I'm trying to fit things in around family commitments right now.&nbsp\\; I'm thinking mid-July or August now. &nbsp\\; It's been a heck of a busy year so far so I hope to take some 'me time'.

I'm hoping to have 4 days to do this trip so I can take my time and actually sight-see a bit....

Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 PM
stubby
Road Captain

Stay away from Scranton on I 81. Always road work and delays. For a little slower in speed, but maybe quicker in time. Take route 29. It is just south of Binghamton. It cuts through a lot of pretty country, but at 45 mph for most of ride.&nbsp\\;At route 11, you have bypassed a lot of traffic and congestion, make a right south. Follow the river about 30 min. to town of Berwick.&nbsp\\;At second light make a left across bridge. This is route 93. Across two small mountains you can make a right onto I 81. You have now bypassed congestion and can take this to york or Gettys. &nbsp\\;

Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Point Man
Cruiser

We just did the factory tour after Rolling Thunder on MDW. It appears they're running an "abbreviated tour", since there's not much "production" going on from what we saw. They told us it was quiet because of the "shift change" but we knew better. They didn't take us through the whole touring area but did show us the CVO section. They drag it out with video to start....after the tour starts, they backtrack the same steps to make it seem longer.
&nbsp\\;
It was good to see the plant but it might not be what you expect....obviously because of the times....
&nbsp\\;
Gettysburg is a great take if you've never been. They just built a new Civil War museum there. A must-see if you make it there and on the way is Gettsyburg H-D dealership.
&nbsp\\;
Have a safe trip....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:04 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 39 Posts

I would also recommend going through the Delaware Water Gap on 209 for the scenery then 80 West to 81 South to 83 South.&nbsp\\; A good time to visit would be during Gettysburg bike week (July 10-13)