Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Heading to Maine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:34 PM
tealdreams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading to Maine

I am heading up to Maine June 14th from Jacksonville, Florida for about 2 weeks and yes I am trailering the road king because the wife & kids want to go,but I was wandering what areas are pretty cool to ride, also I think Laconia is going on around that time also. I will be staying in the Kennebunk area for the first week then Bar Harbour for the second week, If anyone knows any great rides in the area please chime in. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heading to Maine

Laconia is that week, and I believe it's only an hour or so from Kennebunkport. We will be in Laconia the 10-13, and were thinking of doing a day ride out to Kennebunkport, supposed to be nice.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
baggersport
Advanced

Look me up when you get here, I'll steer you in the right direction. LOL

Old 02-28-2006, 10:54 PM
vulhalla
Road Master

Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Camden area is nice, Boothbay Harbor.

Of course in New Hampshire, White Maountains.....

Old 03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
seaox
Cruiser

Riding the coast of Maine is great, but if you have the time, go west and ride the mountains and passes of Maine over toward NH.

Suggestion is to go north from Kennebunk (about 30 miles) to rt 302 west. You are on a 2 lane road that goes by lakes(sebago), streams and ponds into the mountains. About 25 miles out turn right on rt 35. This is a narrow 2 lane and almost no traffic, nice twists and turns, and beautiful scenery. Continue to Bethel Maine and turn left onto rt 2. You drive in the mountains here with several 'notches', birch tree stands, etc. About 20 miles you are in NH. In the town of Gorham turn left onto rt 302, this will take you up into the mountains and you go by MT. Washington, the highest peak in New England. They have an auto road up the mtn, but i'm not sure if a motorcycle is allowed. Continue to the end of the road (15 mi) and turn left toward North Conway NH. Stop at Horsefeathers for a burger and beer.

From here you can retrace back to Kennebunk or go south from N. Conway on rt 16 to the Maine turn pike , go north a few miles to Kenebunk. If you look at a map there are a lot of country roads cutting across to Kennebunk instead oh doing rt 16. Sometimes rt 16 is like a 4 lane highway. ok but there are prettier roads.

As soon as the weather gets good I'm going to do the same run-can't wait,

Good luck

Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM
vulhalla
Road Master

Motorcycles are allowed up Mount Washington. Me and Hieghts dont get along, but that wasnt that bad. Beautifull view from the top...Well worth the ride up.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 AM
liam51
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are not in a hurry, take route 1 along the Maine coast. It is Touristy at times but the ocean views are spectacular, especially when you go north of Portland. Get in touch when you will be in Bar Harbor. Maybe get a ride in....

Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer

The wife and I go to Maine everyyear for 2 weeks in the summer. I agree that you can spend the whole time just crusing from town to town enjoying the sights. You can spend at least a couple days just crusing Bar Harbor and Acadia Park, It's so peacefull. Have fun.

Peacefull............. I must be gettin old.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:32 PM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

http://www.nps.gov/acad/home.htm make sure the wife and kids go too up to this park. Maine is a beautiful state there is lakes, mountains, and the ocean.. Just don't go to rumford maine ( one funky smelling town!)

Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

During the summer in Maine..........avoid the coast. It's just way too busy with tourist to enjoy the riding. Head inland to the mountains, there is allot less traffic, allot better views, and the riding is great.

One of my favorite routes is to head out Rte. 5 all the way to Fryeburg, take 113 N and it goes out thru the White Mountain National Forest and ends up on Rte. 2 in Northern NH. You can then go west on Rte. 2 to 115 S to 3 S to 302. Then follow 302 back down to 16 and into N. Conway.

That route will give you great views of the mountains, cliffs, and everything................it's a great ride and will be about a 350 mile round trip from Kennebunk and a full 8-10 hour day.

I'm right next to Kennebunk, and I'm on vacation that week for Laconia.

Steve

Quick Reply: Heading to Maine