Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Planning a ride through central Pa.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007 | 02:27 PM
Bigbender
|
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Planning a ride through central Pa.

I need some suggestions...

I'm trying to map out a one day ride from Bedford County north through the mountains. We'd like to make the far end of our loop at the Little Grand Canyon. I want to stay on back roads as much as possible and show them as many sight-seeing spots as I can in both directions. I'll probably start the loop going north on 866 into Williamsburg then over the mountain to Rt 22, skip over to Petersburg and then take them through Diamond Valley. Some of the stops in that area would be Whipples Dam, Alan Seeger forest, and Greenwood Furnace. I don't know where to go between State College and the canyon.

Has anyone has done a similar ride?

Another question: It's been a while since I went through Diamond Valley so I don't remember where the road takes you beyond the church camp. My Pa. map doesn't show that road coming out anywhere. Can you go through the camp (around the lake) and then somehow head back over to Whipples Dam without back-tracking?

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:01 AM
geezerx
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planning a ride through central Pa.

If you like remote woods with elevation changes and curves, consider 144 from Bellefonte to Galeton on Rt 6.

Another option would be taking 144 to Renova and turn east on 120 to Hyner. Turn left onto Hyner Run Road (1014). A couple miles up that road there is a paved right turn that winds approximately 4 miles up onto the Hyner Overlook. A nice view but this side trip could eat up a bunch of time. Anyway, from there back down the moutain to Hyner Run Road and turn right to 44, then north on 44 to 144 and on to Galeton.

Old 05-11-2007 | 03:27 AM
Bigbender
|
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Geezer. That looks like a good route to run.

A couple of us went for an evening ride tuesday up Rt. 26 to Greenwood Furnace and then into Alan Seeger Forest. One thing's for sure, Alan Seeger is in the middle of nowhere and finding it is almost impossible if you don't ask directions. When we finally found it, it was almost dark so we decided to follow a "road" from there over to Boalsburg/ Rt. 322. It ended up being six miles of dusty switch-back mountain road. We put on 140 miles and didn't get home until 11:30.

Old 05-12-2007 | 08:25 PM
stubby
Road Captain

Just came in from riding to Worlds End state park then over on Rt. 87 to Mountoursville. Route 87 from Forksville is a beautiful ride. At a small, really small town Warrensville take Rt. 973 West to RT. 44. At this point make sure you gas up. 44 will take you north through state forest lands to Rt. 6. Take a map and don't worry about getting lost. It's all Gods country.

Old 05-13-2007 | 12:04 PM
guild
Cruiser

If you ever plan a trip on route 6 again let me know i live just off rt 6 in Mansfield pa thats 13 miles west of wellboro. We do some great rides here! if ya have any questions you can email me at wjjk@ptd.net

Old 05-15-2007 | 01:14 PM
Pipeman
Intermediate

I live in Williamsport and know all of that area like the back of my hand. There are numerous routes you could take, one of my favorites is 220 to 287 to Morris and on to Wellsborothen take 6 to the canyon then head west and come back down 44.

Old 05-17-2007 | 04:48 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Just a few questions...

I just took 6 from Jersey to Scranton a few weeks ago. I'm planning on riding the whole way out to Lake Erie the week of July 4th. FromScranton to Erie what are some good places to stop for food, gas, and drinks? Thanks...

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:36 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both of the routes geezerx laid out are great. Can't really think of a better one.

Old 06-17-2007 | 06:50 AM
murdock84
Intermediate

Geezer has a good way of riding. I do this alot on the Dual Purpose bike. At least about 1/2 of it. Then back into the dirt trails back to camp.

Old 06-17-2007 | 12:46 PM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: geezerx

If you like remote woods with elevation changes and curves, consider 144 from Bellefonte to Galeton on Rt 6.

Another option would be taking 144 to Renova and turn east on 120 to Hyner. Turn left onto Hyner Run Road (1014). A couple miles up that road there is a paved right turn that winds approximately 4 miles up onto the Hyner Overlook. A nice view but this side trip could eat up a bunch of time. Anyway, from there back down the moutain to Hyner Run Road and turn right to 44, then north on 44 to 144 and on to Galeton.
I ride nothern pa a lot and couldnt agree more. Also, route 6 west is nice. Stop and have a look at the kinzua bridge.

Quick Reply: Planning a ride through central Pa.