Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Rides in Northern VT

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015 | 06:47 PM
slim_powers
|
Tourer
Default Rides in Northern VT

My boyfriend and I are spending 2 nights in Stowe, VT, riding up from my house just north of Boston. We'll be going 93 to 89 and then to Route 100 as we're going to the Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury. Any recommendations for awesome rides in that area? I'm riding passenger so beautiful scenery is a must.

A coworker suggested Smuggler's Notch, and to watch out for wildlife (calving season for deer and moose plus just big animals on the roads). My boyfriend is an experienced rider and we will be careful but I'm 110% open to any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-2015 | 08:06 PM
Noodles
Cruiser

VT. is a beautiful state,most every ride should be great.wish I was going it"s been about twenty years since I was there.

Old 06-10-2015 | 10:57 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Default Vermont

I'm planning a similar ride from RI to Montreal in July. Rt 100 is nice. Thinking of Rt 7 a little farther west and maybe rt 2 on the return which goes right through lake Champlain.
Try this link for more VT and New England ride ideas
Newenglandriders.org

Old 06-14-2015 | 09:31 AM
slim_powers
|
Tourer

What an incredible few days we had up in VT! Fantastic weather and riding; we put over 600 miles on the bike and had a blast doing it.

Smuggler's Notch Road was attempted…and aborted. Road was too narrow with blind hairpin turns, there was no way we could get up on the EG 2-up. I ended up having to jump off and walk down, stopping some cars so the bike could come down. On a smaller bike it would have been fine, and had we driven the road first we would have known what to expect, but it's definitely a road that needs practice and mega skill. It took me hours to come down from the fear adrenaline!

On the ride home we took the scenic route and did US 2 East. Took it from VT through NH, got on 16 and went through the White Mountains, and continued on to Maine. I wanted to die when we got to Maine, as much as the EG is a La-Z-Boy on wheels, 4 hours is not fun! We were both tired and in some pain, but it was a wonderful trip.

Route 100 is a little chewed up when you get off of 89 in Waterbury but it's a beautiful drive. I hope we can do it again soon, or another fun trip, but this time with me on my bike and NOT with the stock seat.

Old 06-17-2015 | 05:22 PM
dynoflyer
Cruiser

Vt 100 is always a good choice, North or Southbound.

Old 06-18-2015 | 08:46 AM
slim_powers
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dynoflyer
Vt 100 is always a good choice, North or Southbound.
Route 100 in Waterbury just off 89 was pretty chewed up, but you really can't beat the scenery. I got to enjoy it more than my boyfriend as he was concentrating on not hitting bumps, but we really enjoyed the ride every time we took it.

Old 06-20-2015 | 07:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by slim_powers
What an incredible few days we had up in VT! Fantastic weather and riding; we put over 600 miles on the bike and had a blast doing it.

Smuggler's Notch Road was attempted…and aborted. Road was too narrow with blind hairpin turns, there was no way we could get up on the EG 2-up. I ended up having to jump off and walk down, stopping some cars so the bike could come down. On a smaller bike it would have been fine, and had we driven the road first we would have known what to expect, but it's definitely a road that needs practice and mega skill. It took me hours to come down from the fear adrenaline!

On the ride home we took the scenic route and did US 2 East. Took it from VT through NH, got on 16 and went through the White Mountains, and continued on to Maine. I wanted to die when we got to Maine, as much as the EG is a La-Z-Boy on wheels, 4 hours is not fun! We were both tired and in some pain, but it was a wonderful trip.

Route 100 is a little chewed up when you get off of 89 in Waterbury but it's a beautiful drive. I hope we can do it again soon, or another fun trip, but this time with me on my bike and NOT with the stock seat.
You can get through the notch 2up on an EG, wife and I go through on the ultra all the time. Just have to go real slow in two of the turns. Many, many good riding roads up here. 4, 5, 116, 100, 144, 106, 125 7&2 in the islands and the list goes on.

Old 06-21-2015 | 09:06 AM
slim_powers
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
You can get through the notch 2up on an EG, wife and I go through on the ultra all the time. Just have to go real slow in two of the turns. Many, many good riding roads up here. 4, 5, 116, 100, 144, 106, 125 7&2 in the islands and the list goes on.
I'm sure if we'd gone up the road in a car and seen the difficult places before, we could have done it; we went in blind, though, and I can understand why we aborted. My boyfriend took a riding hiatus and the bike is still new to him, plus those blind turns around the boulders are scary when you can't see around them! If we get back up there again (unlikely thanks to the Navy but one can hope), we will certainly attempt it again and be more prepared.

It was a wonderful trip, though, and we both had so much fun. Hopefully we can get up there again, riding side by side this time instead of 2-up. I need to modify my Slim first though to be more comfy.

Old 06-26-2015 | 07:48 PM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master

Sounds like a nice ride, I might have to check it out.

Old 06-28-2015 | 02:13 PM
slim_powers
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mac daddy 103
Sounds like a nice ride, I might have to check it out.
I'd highly recommend it, even riding Route 89 makes for gorgeous views all around.