Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

How to fight a parking ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 PM
nyc tex
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The city usually sends out a notice to settle for a slightly lesser amount than the published fine. If you were really parked illigally, just pay it.

There is a motorcycle lot under the FDR at the end of Wall. I work in midtown and live on the UES and see people park on the sidewalk all the time (and chain up to a sign). The security guard at my office lets me park up by the side of the building - I feel safe with the bike there since they are in eye shot of it. I ride a Sportster so sidewalk parking is a little easier to get away with than a bigger touring bike.

BTW - there was an article in todays AM New York about motorcycle parking. Some people use velcro to attach their plate for quick removal, take the plate with you to avoid a ticket although I would be a little concerned about towing.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM
blueohana
Advanced

Heres some advice, don't remove the license plate to avoid the ticket. Its only going to make thing worse for you.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All fun and games with removing the plate, till you see your scoot dangling from a tow trucks hitching chain. Like a hangmans lynching Noose. Don't follow that liberal rag, don't remove the tag

Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 PM
blueohana
Advanced

very nice comparison...lol

Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Blue... Many a PR day Parades, and witnessing the MC enforcement.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Wanna listen and follow this liberal Nitwits example.. you're gonna seriously regret it. Trust me.

Some city bikers won't pay at parking meter, saying city rules aren't fair

Thursday March 25, 2010 5:48 PM By Dale W. Eisinger
Rusty Munro commutes on his motorcycle, from Williamsburg to SoHo, every day, even in winter. He dresses in layers beneath his leather jacket, throws on a neck warmer and pushes off into the cold. He dismounts and parks his bike at a meter.
But before he heads into work, he tears his license plate from the back of his bike, where it’s attached with Velcro strips.
Munro is one of many New York motorcycle and scooter riders who illegally remove their plates and park without feeding meters — and usually get away with it.
“I do it all the time. If you take your license plate off, it’s too much work for a cop to ticket you,” the 30-year-old graphic designer said.
Like many bikers, Munro believes motorcycles should have different parking rules and fees than other vehicles — especially since the advent of Muni-Meters. In 2005, the city began replacing coin-operated mechanical parking meters with the digital, receipt-dispensing models.
Cheryl Stewart, head of the New York Motorcycle and Scooter Task Force, ( the same group who tried to shut down the city with their bicycle protests during the Republican national Convention ) said Muni-meters don’t work for motorcycles, which don’t have a secure spot to display the receipt.
“Motorcycles are not getting ticketed and bikers aren’t paying parking fees. There would be no cost to the city to implement a legal parking alternative to the current system,” Stewart said.
The Department of Transportation and the NYPD did not respond to requests for comment.
But cops and traffic agents said it’s too much trouble to climb around a motorcycle looking for the VIN, or vehicle identification number.
“It’s a hassle to find,” said one traffic agent in the West Village.
In London, motorcycles and scooters park in unused public spaces without penalty. In San Francisco, bikes have metered areas. Toronto bikers park for free.
“In the space of one car length seven motorcycles can park,” said Stewart, who likes the Toronto model. “
Our viewpoint is that motorcycles are green, fuel-efficient, congestion-relieving vehicles, actively discouraged in New York, rather than encouraged as they are in more forward-thinking places.”
Bikers say inequity of space is part of a bigger problem.
“I’ve had my motorcycle knocked over too many times to count,” said Stewart. “If a huge SUV even brushes a standing motorcycle, it will be knocked to the ground.”

Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Can you say your bike was there first...and since your bike takes up so little space, the car must have squeezed into your parking space? Tell them it also looked like your bike was moved to make room for the car? LOL

I got out of a parking ticket that way in Daytona Beach. There is a sign on the parking space that says "One vehicle per parking space". When I went back to get my bike, four bikes in the space all had tickets. I claimed to have been there first and I could not control who parked there after me. I guess they figured maybe the other three bike riders wouldn't fuss....and they would still get 'something'. They voided mine.

chuck