Northeast Tri-State Area NJ, NY, and Ct

How to fight a parking ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
osb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure it matters about your registration but if you were parked in a "no parking 7am-7pm, dept of sanitation" place then you're better off not wasting your time and paying the ticket.

When I still had my old 02 GSXR I rode into work, down in the wall street area, and parked illegally.. $125 ticket.

I work on Liberty Street(One Liberty Plaza) and parked accross the street. I'll never not pay for a garage. I forget which garage I went to, but they accepted me w/o issue.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
ajjacobsa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ishred
Thanks all.

I think he got my registration expiration date wrong. He put 4/31, but that can't be right since I didn't buy the bike till last July. I'm not even sure how he came up with a date since the sticker doesn't have one.
All bike and trailer regs expire on 4/30 in NY regardless of when you registered it. Makes enforcement easier.

AJ

Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

It's not worth it for a parking ticket! It will cost you more to fight it even If you get it reduced...after they add on their court fees and admin. fees!

Consider yourself lucky the metermaid wasn't pissed off that day and had it towed!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 PM
ishred
6th Gear

Sheesh, I wasn't expecting anyone here to side with the city.

The ticket is $95!

The bottom line is that it's a stupid regulation. The parking is designated for Dept of Sanitation big wigs, says a friend of mine who works in sanitation. Why can't they take mass transit or pay for a garage like the rest of us

Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
IowaMike
Cruiser

I have only been to your big city once, that was in 08. The only thing I would drive there is a tank. I think it will cost you far more to fight it as to pay it. Fight it and still lose is it worth it? Only you can answer that one.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DO NOT listen to anyone on here telling you not to pay the ticket for what they believe is a mistake of the expiration date. That is a minor oversight that the judge will also overlook. As long as the location, time, date, make and plate number are correct. I have seen this argued in court and you WILL lose that argument. Go and speak to the Prosecutor and try to get the ticket fine reduced. He/she wants to clear their schedule as much as possible and for every ticket that gets pleaded down is one less that he/she has to argue in court. Or you can just pay the $95 fine, not waste your time and possible time off work to go to court. Weigh your options. I don't thinnk that anyone here is "siding" with the court, just tryin to save you the most amount of money/time

Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
John10962
Cruiser

If you work by Wall St. goto the traffic court . It will not take that long to see someone. Tell them you had a medical emergence bad cup of coffee got the runes . Better results if you go in person than mail in.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjriv
HEY!..he gave u a break!!...regardless of when u bought yer bike, theres only 30 days in April...the ticket is defective...dont pay it..u can go online...google NYC PVB..pop in the tkt number and claim it a bad tkt... you're in the clear...

Now...as to MY fee...how much didja say that ticket was?
+1, raise the question if this is wrong what else MUST be wrong.

Ya nevr did answer... what was the ticket for ?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
blueohana
Advanced

Thank goodness I work for the city. Everytime I get a parking ticket or red light camera summons, I make sure I pay the fine and when I submit my overtime slip, the city WILL pay me back the money I spent in fines.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can tell you is NYC sucks big time!! Years back I had a small trucking company that delt with the garment district in NYC. We got BullSh*t tickets all day long. The best was one of my trucks had 2 5/8" letterring and law was 3" letterring in NYC, that ticket was $175 How about $200 fine for leaving a tailgate down on a truck during delivery. If you leave it up, someone pulls right behind you and you can't get pallet jack and load on truck!! I could go on all day! JUST PAY IT!

Quick Reply: How to fight a parking ticket?