Sponsored by:

Added the SoftBrake pedal to the SGS yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
I have heard other talk about this as well but never noticed either. I normally ride with my heal on the footboard and my toes on the hwy pegs. When in this position I just rotate my foot in toward the brake pedal and apply pressure, then rotate back to hwy peg.
A lot of us ride like this, it's just a more natural feel to me, can't stand to have my feet flat on the boards, to me that is uncomfortable. So the stock rear brake lever is fine to me.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM
ofan
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
Which model # did you buy?
I bought the SB-014 P+1 and it works great. I am 6'2" and I have a lot more room on the floorboard and can get to my highway pegs without the lever getting in my way... I actually bought mine from Heelguard as the shipping was free. Softbrake direct wanted $15 for shipping. Funny, it shipped direct from Softbrake. Seems Softbrake would offer free shipping too, the part price was the same... Ofan

Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine is the SB-014P. And it my be us guys with the short legs that see the biggest advantage.

i can't reach the hiway pegs

Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 PM
DesertDweller
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyjth
I put one on my Ultra. The original brake pedal was virtually useless to me as I'm 6'-2 with long legs. Great addition to the bike. This is how it should have been from the factory!
jt
What Model did you use on the Ultra, and was it OK with the lowers?
How much room do you have before hitting the lowers?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertDweller

Thanks
You will want to use Soft Brake's Standard pedal for a Limited. It is made to fit with the lowers. It's the same length as stock but at a 20deg instead of a 40deg angle.

I kept getting my boot caught under the stock pedal and it was an un-natural position for me to lift my toe up that high to apply the brake.

The Soft Brake is perfect for me, much closer to what I was used to with my 2002 Fat Boy.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Undoubtedly one of the best mods I've made to my Limited. Night and day difference. I'm 6'4" and use the entire floorboard. Even with the lowered pedal I can still get the toe of my boot (Alpinestars) underneath it.

Steve

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM
harleyjth
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertDweller

Thanks
Offthewall has it right. Their standard Softbrake pedal. Gives probably a quarter to half inch clearance at the lower. Its close, but fits fine. No problem at all.
jt

Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
You will want to use Soft Brake's Standard pedal for a Limited. It is made to fit with the lowers. It's the same length as stock but at a 20deg instead of a 40deg angle.

I kept getting my boot caught under the stock pedal and it was an un-natural position for me to lift my toe up that high to apply the brake.

The Soft Brake is perfect for me, much closer to what I was used to with my 2002 Fat Boy.

Those pictures really tell the story! I assume there is still plenty of room to completely apply the rear brake with this lowered pedal? It does look like it would be more comfortable!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
Those pictures really tell the story! I assume there is still plenty of room to completely apply the rear brake with this lowered pedal? It does look like it would be more comfortable!
There is no clearance issue with the lower on brake application. You can't make it come close to the lower no matter how hard you push.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM
bingram1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ofan
I bought the SB-014 P+1 and it works great. I am 6'2" and I have a lot more room on the floorboard and can get to my highway pegs without the lever getting in my way... I actually bought mine from Heelguard as the shipping was free. Softbrake direct wanted $15 for shipping. Funny, it shipped direct from Softbrake. Seems Softbrake would offer free shipping too, the part price was the same... Ofan
Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed to hear. I rode mine till I put it up the end of October and was talking to Softbrake about when he'd have the new pedals out. He called me the end of Nov and I told him I'd get one when I got back home to the bike. I'm 6'2" and it was a bad angle for the pedal for me. Good report on the free shipping too.

Quick Reply: Added the SoftBrake pedal to the SGS yesterday