Sponsored by:

Time for new Battery....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019 | 08:37 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Time for new Battery....

While at Myrtle Beach last week my battery started to drag when starting. I learned years ago that this means it's time for a new one. Got back home and the bike sit in the man cave four days on the tender and I forgot about it. Went to crank it yesterday and it was worse than before. I looked online at the local auto parts stores and also the Deka brand which I have used before with okay results. Even looked at the new Lithium batteries. I decided to go with Batteries Plus and a Duracell Ultra 30LA AGM Gray Case Battery - USA.

It carries a two year warranty and they had a 10% discount which kept it under $150 bucks. Fit like a glove and she cranks strong!

The online reviews were excellent which was a big reason I decided to give it a try.

They actually make a black case for the same price but it was not in stock.

I took advantage of this to clean very well under and around the battery compartment as well as hook the plugins back up for our heated gear.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Circa58 (10-08-2019), nobodyknowsme (10-20-2019)
Old 10-08-2019 | 07:02 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master

Looks exactly like a Big Crank/Deka from East Penn. Battery Mart has them for $119.95 with free shipping and 1 year warranty.

Old 10-08-2019 | 07:54 AM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lude-a-tick
Looks exactly like a Big Crank/Deka from East Penn. Battery Mart has them for $119.95 with free shipping and 1 year warranty.
The Duracell is made by East Penn. East Penn also makes the Big Crank, Deka and the original Harley battery. Other than the labeling they are pretty much identical.

Old 10-08-2019 | 10:59 AM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwven
The Duracell is made by East Penn. East Penn also makes the Big Crank, Deka and the original Harley battery. Other than the labeling they are pretty much identical.

That's good to know. Thanks

Old 10-09-2019 | 10:37 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwven

They could/may/probably be identical.... but just because East Penn made them, and they are the same size, doesn't mean they are the same inside the cases...

East Penn makes batteries to purchaser specifications. They are capable of making a high quality battery and a bargain basement battery.... I would suspect the warranty will dictate the battery quality.... if both are 2 yr warranty, they are probably very similar... Sometimes East Penn will just change something simple like the terminal type, to protect a purchasing contract that requires exclusive specs/features, and yet then sell the same basic battery to another label for less money...

I purchased a Duracell from Batteries Plus several years ago for my '12 bagger. When I sold the bike a year later, the battery was still running strong... I remember the person at Batteries Plus told me the Duracell batteries come in two case colors...... one is made in the USA and the other offshore... I forget which color was USA made and which was Offshore...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-09-2019 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fltrxcrzy (10-24-2021)
Old 10-10-2019 | 05:15 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
They could/may/probably be identical.... but just because East Penn made them, and they are the same size, doesn't mean they are the same inside the cases...

East Penn makes batteries to purchaser specifications. They are capable of making a high quality battery and a bargain basement battery.... I would suspect the warranty will dictate the battery quality.... if both are 2 yr warranty, they are probably very similar... Sometimes East Penn will just change something simple like the terminal type, to protect a purchasing contract that requires exclusive specs/features, and yet then sell the same basic battery to another label for less money...

I purchased a Duracell from Batteries Plus several years ago for my '12 bagger. When I sold the bike a year later, the battery was still running strong... I remember the person at Batteries Plus told me the Duracell batteries come in two case colors...... one is made in the USA and the other offshore... I forget which color was USA made and which was Offshore...
Thanks for the post. The reviews online were awesome and I needed one right away so it was the best choice over Advance Auto or the HD dealer.

Yes they make and offer both black and white case. The store only stocked the white. They indicated to me that they were both identical in every way including price except for color. They would have to order the black. It does have a 2 year warranty where most are one year and Durcell is a name I trust in batteries.

Old 10-10-2019 | 06:38 PM
goldie
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude

Hi all,
I have a 3 year old black Duracell from Batteries Plus in my 15 RGS still working well. I like the nation wide warranty. Curious where the made elsewhere actually came from and obviously knowing would be helpful if accurate.....goldie

Old 10-11-2019 | 09:41 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by goldie
Hi all,
I have a 3 year old black Duracell from Batteries Plus in my 15 RGS still working well. I like the nation wide warranty. Curious where the made elsewhere actually came from and obviously knowing would be helpful if accurate.....goldie

If you are talking about the offshore/USA comment I made, I'm sorry but I don't remember the details...

In April of 2016, I bought a Duracell Battery (#DURAGM-30LA-US) from my local Batteries Plus store.... I mentioned that they listed two batteries, one in a black case and one in a white case, that seemed to be the exact same. I asked what the difference was. The manager of the Batteries Plus store told me that one is made in the USA and the other is made in another country. I apologize, but I forget which color is which, and what the off shore country was...

I remember that the one I got was the USA made. The manager said he only stocks the USA made version in his store... I think it was the white case, but I don't remember for sure..

Sorry for throwing out that second hand info. For all I know the manager could have been full of crap, but I put it out there in case someone else had heard, or was aware of that information....

Old 10-11-2019 | 11:30 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain

FWIW

The following 4 users liked this post by dh_meyer:
Cosmic Razorback (10-11-2019), fltrxcrzy (10-24-2021), hattitude (10-11-2019), SWFLGuy (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019 | 11:45 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Thanks for the post. The reviews online were awesome and I needed one right away so it was the best choice over Advance Auto or the HD dealer.

Yes they make and offer both black and white case. The store only stocked the white. They indicated to me that they were both identical in every way including price except for color. They would have to order the black. It does have a 2 year warranty where most are one year and Durcell is a name I trust in batteries.
Around here they seem to stock only the black case. I had to order the other one. I figured made in USA meant it came out of the same factory as the other made in USA batteries, plus it's got the 2-year warranty and the stores everywhere.

Quick Reply: Time for new Battery....