Sponsored by:

motion pro fork oil level tool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM
bobbyjoes
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default motion pro fork oil level tool?

Hi ,putting new fork sliders on 2014 streetglide special ,while have forks off was going to change oil to different weight and brand,is the motion pro needed or can you use other methods,thanks

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,578 Likes on 1,970 Posts

I use one but could still get it on the money without one.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 PM
JAMESAK51
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I use one also but I still don't understand why the moco can't just tell you how many ounces it takes, maybe I'm missing something. If I remember correctly mine took 22 ounces, don't quote me though.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The tool cost me $20 on amazon. Worth the money IMO.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Echo6 Sierra
The tool cost me $20 on amazon. Worth the money IMO.

The "tool" makes sure you have the same amount of oil in each tube.... I always overfill the tube by a oz or so, use the tool to suck out the over fill in each tube, this way I know they are at the same level.... Also a vice tube holder, works very well to keep the tube straight. Its an easy job, just do it right

Be Safe JIM

Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Oil Gauge

I only use an oil gauge. You can get te exact tool on Flee-Bay cheaper w/free shipping. The company that Motion Pro uses to purchase seams to be the exact same company everyone else used to purchase, the only difference is the price. Both tubes do not have the exact same volume. I use a Wilton Vice with Sofjaws mounted to a 12" I beam welded to a plate and stand on the plate. Makes working on forks easier.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

There are multiple ways to do it. But the easiest way to to buy the tool for the specific purpose. Also you can use PVC pipe instead of a fork seal driver as an alternative.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:27 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I used it on my other bikes. This is why I think they did not say how much oil. On my other bikes the left tube and right tube took different amounts of oil from each other. But they call for the same height from top of tube when filled. It was easier to over fill slightly then allow to settle and just suck out to desired level. One side was designed different so it have a different volume. Never did my Harley forks as of now.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:50 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Courtesy Of KTM

There are a number of siphoning tools available from aftermarket manufacturers and suspension tuning services. If you do a lot of suspension work, these are worth the money. They vary in design and cost but they all achieve the same end result of setting the proper oil level.

1. A clean empty plastic bottle. Most fork oil bottles work well.
  2. A piece of vent or fuel line with an ID of 1/4" (6mm). Clear works best.
  3. Straight metal tubing 8-10" (250mm) long with a 1/4 inch (6mm) OD and an ID as large as possible. Most hardware stores have copper tubing that works.
  4. A drill bit that's 1/32" larger than the OD of the vent hose you're using.
  5. A small plastic tie-wrap.
  6. A measuring tape.
Drill a hole in the cap of the plastic bottle just large enough to insert the hose through so that it will seal the hole but not crush the hose too much. Insert the straight metal tubing into the other end of the hose about 1/2 inch (13mm). Put the plastic wire tie strap on the metal tube just tight enough so you can slide it to indicate the oil level setting you want. Measure from the bottom end of the tube to a point on the side of the tube the desired oil level and slide the zip tie to this point.

With the fork tubes (or fork cartridge if applicable) collapsed and the fork spring removed, insert the metal tube into the fork leg with the plastic strap parallel to the top edge of the highest fork tube. If the oil level is lower than the tube's end pour in some oil to cover it. Squeeze the air out of the plastic bottle and release, the expanding plastic bottle should create enough vacuum to siphon out the fork oil to the tube's end. You're all set at that point; cheap, quick and easy.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:55 AM
bobbyjoes
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well i bought tool and it went well,very easy,thanks

The following users liked this post:
djhrln (01-14-2017)

Quick Reply: motion pro fork oil level tool?