Sponsored by:

300+ miles on the new Road King this week ... what I like/dislike

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:46 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I was looking at these. Got any pics ? Did you wire them internally ? Are these the 11/4 bars?
Sorry it took me a while to answer... no i didn't wire them internally. I bought some heated grips that were external so I just left them all external.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 AM
jpmoyer
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the ride now change your air shocks out to pro action, the difference is night and day and the twisty's are even better!

Old 08-09-2016, 06:12 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Can anyone recommend a solo seat that a little higher than stock (other than the police set up)? I'd like to get an inch or so higher than I am now on the C&C solo.
The mustang seats on the 09-13's moved you back and down compared to stock. The same seats installed on the 14-16's is slightly taller than stock and back a little. The stock Rushmore seats are lower than previous years. Compared to the C&C I don't have info on.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Phlipper
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
The mustang seats on the 09-13's moved you back and down compared to stock. The same seats installed on the 14-16's is slightly taller than stock and back a little. The stock Rushmore seats are lower than previous years. Compared to the C&C I don't have info on.
I thought the stock seat blew chunks. I had my stock modded to move me back 2" and add memory foam and gel pads and recovered in white Gator. Then my OL bought me a Tall Boy and had the padding upgraded and recovered in white Gator. I am hooked on custom seats. Will never run a stock seat again on anything.

Just bought a Sporty 72 so I've only been taking the Road King on long hauls. Still loving it. No problems except for the shifter linkage issues everyone else is dealing with.

I briefly owned an old iron head sporty on a hard tail frame with a veeeeerrrry long girder front end back in the 80s. Recently had been eyeing the 72s at the stealer. And I rode one of my club brother's sporty bobber back from Norfolk last month and found I missed the stripped down, no windshield feel sometimes. I sold my Buell and one of my SuperGlides to a couple brothers a month ago. Walked into a Victory dealer looking for a part for my OL's Eightball and saw a beautiful used Metal Flake Green 72 for dirt cheap. A 2013 with 1200 miles on it. The price was right so I snatched it up.

Love it so far. Have had to replace the battery, extend the seat, and get memory foam to cushion the ride. A spring solo is coming. As is Full Boar slip-ons, Ness Big Sucker, Xieds, bitch pad and bar. Maybe a few more doodads.

My OL has been riding it a lot more than me. She loves it. It's been a very long time since I owned one.

Having a blast (except for the tank size, LOL).

Attached Thumbnails 300+ miles on the new Road King this week ... what I like/dislike-20160925_165801.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Year old post?

Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Phlipper
I thought the stock seat blew chunks. I had my stock modded to move me back 2" and add memory foam and gel pads and recovered in white Gator. Then my OL bought me a Tall Boy and had the padding upgraded and recovered in white Gator. I am hooked on custom seats. Will never run a stock seat again on anything.

Just bought a Sporty 72 so I've only been taking the Road King on long hauls. Still loving it. No problems except for the shifter linkage issues everyone else is dealing with.

I briefly owned an old iron head sporty on a hard tail frame with a veeeeerrrry long girder front end back in the 80s. Recently had been eyeing the 72s at the stealer. And I rode one of my club brother's sporty bobber back from Norfolk last month and found I missed the stripped down, no windshield feel sometimes. I sold my Buell and one of my SuperGlides to a couple brothers a month ago. Walked into a Victory dealer looking for a part for my OL's Eightball and saw a beautiful used Metal Flake Green 72 for dirt cheap. A 2013 with 1200 miles on it. The price was right so I snatched it up.

Love it so far. Have had to replace the battery, extend the seat, and get memory foam to cushion the ride. A spring solo is coming. As is Full Boar slip-ons, Ness Big Sucker, Xieds, bitch pad and bar. Maybe a few more doodads.

My OL has been riding it a lot more than me. She loves it. It's been a very long time since I owned one.

Having a blast (except for the tank size, LOL).
Lol, had the very same bike....loved it...miss it. If not for mileage I'd have guessed you bought my old bike! Mine had 8,000 on it when I sold it. It helped pay for the RK....picked up an Ironhead project to fill the hole it left in my heart. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Year old post?
....don't you have a bike you could be out riding? Just leave the thread police badge in the drawer next time. You'll have more fun in life. Sheesh.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Phlipper
Tourer

And another year gone by ...

Still loving this bike. I'm only up to 23K on it though, since it shares time with five other bikes (I know ... I have a problem). Though I'm selling the Buell and the Superglide to brothers on payments. I'm still in love with my baby as much as the day he came home with me. Almost got it looking like I want.

It has been completely reliable, just as every other HD I've owned since my 85 Evo. Still rails the twisties like no other bagger I've ever been on. Has been cheap to maintain - tires lasted forever. And any time I have a ride over four hours round trip or packing the OL he's what I fire up.

I test drove a new 107 RK and it just didn't impress me enough to consider trading up. I bought a British Crotch Rocket to play in the curves with, instead.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (01-14-2018)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Phlipper
Tourer

Blast from the past ...

Years later and still in love with the Rushmore RK. It's now been with me longer than a couple wives. Been thru two clubs, too. It has been rock solid dependable at 36K miles and I've done nothing but change oil, brakes, and tires. I have a four-hour round trip work commute weekly or more and still love hopping on it, as long as the temps are above 30F. The wife loves packing on it (when she's not on her own bike).

I have lusted after a new burnt orange Heritage, a new Road King Special, and an Indian Springfield. But I just can't let my 'Gator' go. Will probably die with this bike in my garage.

The following users liked this post:
Hammerdown77 (06-23-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 10:05 AM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Nothing better than The King, IMHO. (Not sure about that white seat though.)