Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another GPS test

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

What boggles my mind is that Harley fails to realize or acknowledge that all the problems with the Infotainment system reflect upon the overall quality of their bikes. Believe me, I try to overlook the aggravation of being misdirected by the GPS, or having the audio cut out for no reason, or being compelled to be hardwired to the bike when Bluetooth is so readily available and reliable, or...well, you get the idea. What I fear is that, when mechanical problems start to develop [which one has to expect will happen], I will see all the problems to be cumulative and never-ending and simply give up on HD.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM
fame2
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

is there a way to update these maps on our own? even if you have to pay for it? just curious

Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
Has the location accuracy been calibrated? In other words, does it show you where you're actually located correctly? I'm one of those crazy guys that likes the unit. It's been spot on every time and I use it a lot.
I haven't had any issues with mine either.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,323 Likes on 8,402 Posts

There was a dealer 30 miles from me that has been out of business for 3 years and it's still on the Boom GPS as if it's still open.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
There was a dealer 30 miles from me that has been out of business for 3 years and it's still on the Boom GPS as if it's still open.
That one could be more of a paperwork issue than a gps issue. If someone failed to update the database, then it would have been entered incorrectly. However, at the end of the day, it still adds up to another flaw found.

Over all, I like my GPS even with some of its quirks (taking me on one path, while Google, Garmin and TomTom all send me on another, costing me maybe 5 to 15 minutes). I love the 665 that came on my previous cvo better (which is why I kept it). I'll continue to use my Boom! GPS with little worry.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:28 PM
drm0
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swany6mm
Not to go off subject, but, off subject, where did you get your painted dash, or did you paint it? Wouldn't mind having a paint matched dash like that
I took the insert that came with the chrome dash kit to a body shop. Was told HD paint is very tuff to match!! I think they did a very good job. Side by side you can see a slight tint difference. But with the black inner fairing it is not noticeable.

drm0

Attached Thumbnails Another GPS test-2014-04-12-09.45.53-640x480-.jpg   Another GPS test-2014-04-25-15.11.52-640x480-.jpg   Another GPS test-2014-04-25-15.11.38-640x480-.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 02:00 PM
rattracer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealership location errors have been around for at least 5 years. Don't think anyone at HD is interested in fixing them. Most of the time, they get the wrong side of the highway, or a block or two off. I did send them an email, told them Garmin GPS just kicks their ***. Wonder why they can't cut a deal with Garmin and just put their units in the bikes. Like we've read 100 times, for 25 grand, you think they could fix the little things.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Lango 103
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drm0
One of the poorest GPS units I have ever used!! Can't find roads or sends you on the wrong road! I just don't trust it!! Very disappointed. So this is what I do(see Pic)

drm0

I share all the comments on the GPS. I will come up on an intersection, the map shows straight ahead, the arrow at the bottom indicates turn left and the voice directs a right turn. I follow the orange route line most of the time but it keeps you on your toes.

As for the dash paint, great minds think alike! After HD advised it would cost $280 a pint for the Daytona Blue and it was a tri-color, so almost $1000 to paint the dash insert, I found a local painter who managed to get really close. I think it looks good and obviously, makes the bike a little different.

Daytona Blue Pearl dash insert

Old 10-21-2015, 06:44 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
Has the location accuracy been calibrated? In other words, does it show you where you're actually located correctly? I'm one of those crazy guys that likes the unit. It's been spot on every time and I use it a lot.
I don't quite follow your question. Am I supposed to calibrate this piece of junk myself, because I happen to be the owner of it? I can only hope and assume it is calibrated, since it shows the roads and streets accurately, most of the time. The problem obviously lies in the POI menu. On numerous occasions was it completely off track on my system. If somebody tries to explain to me it works flawlessly for him, he either does not understand what a GPS is supposed to do, or hasn't checked any POI in his system. What I also find a joke is the fact that the MOCO puts a three year old map in a brand spanking new bike. Now that is more than cheap and shows only how greedy this company really is.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
Took a trip to the OBX in NC this Saturday. The weather was perfect for this day trip, which I did many times before. Since I never praised the GPS of my 2015 SGS for its perfection I thought I will put it thru another test. I chose a HD-dealer ship, which is located on the route down to Nags Head. It was listed in the POI, no problem. After pressing "GO" the system showed me the way. When I came close I could see the checkered flag approaching on the map. Then the lovely female voice said I arrived at the destination. Problem was the dealer ship was still a mile down the road. OK, another FU in the system. Happened to me twice before. Then I searched for a famous restaurant on HWY 158, of which I know its location, as well. To my surprise the system listed that restaurant even by name. So I pressed GO again and followed the route. Right after Kill Devils Hill the system told me to take a sharp left towards the beach. This was definitely not right. Out of curiosity I followed the route and sure enough, there was the flag. Miles off from the actual destination. I just shook my head in disbelief. What sorry a$$ piece of equipment is that? The MOCO should be ashamed to put something crappy like that in such a superior motorcycle. I think now it's time for them to come up with a FREE map and system upgrade to fix all these imperfections. And for all of you, who still defend this marvelous piece of technology I can only say this: You obviously don't know what even the standards of a low end GPS are. But I do love my SGS. And I mean it.
Good thing that you knew where you were going.

Ain't that high-tech crap just marvy?

Quick Reply: Another GPS test