Sponsored by:

Cell & Voice Without Helmet Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:45 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cell & Voice Without Helmet Mod

Based on a thread on another forum, I decided to give this hack a try and I can confirm it works, with limitations. If you are stopped at a light or under 20 mph, you can talk normally, or with just a slight increased voice. As your speed increases, you have to increase your voice up to the point at 70, you are almost yelling.

During several phone call tests to land lines and cell phones, most people said they could hear me just fine but sounded like I was far away. Some could tell that I was having to raise my voice. My take, if you have to take a phone call, this would be a way to do it to ask the person to give you a minute to pull over. You would not want to have a long phone conversation. If you are using voice recognition, it works and is fine for that. For some reason the speech recognition was not adjusting the temp up to 72 like I can in my car.

The CB works as expected and when I did a radio check on 19, I got a couple responses with one driver saying I need to replace my mic. I responded I was on a motorcycle and he said, oh, must be one of them Harley's casue the CB always sucks on them.

In my case, this will work great when I am not wearing my helmet and connected to my Sena. I was hoping that this mod would work because I like seeing the number of the person who is calling and I don't have that luxury with the Sena. On the Sena, I can talk normally and people can not even tell I'm on a headset.

Overall, I am happy with the install and the mod as there are times that I need to answer the phone or be nice to change some of the nav routes while underway.

To complete the install, I purchased 69200865 from my local HD dealer. This is a Boom! Audio Music and Communications Kit and is essentially a connector and the 7 pin DIN connector to add a headset jack. HD says it's only for the SG but I have the connector under the fairing on my CVO. I would imagine that all the fairing bikes have this same connector. If you are following along in the electronic manual, the connector in the fairing is 280 and is white. It is located on on top in the right side just by the auxiliary 12 volt power plug if you add accessories. You also need a wired HD headset or one that will work with the 7 pin din connection.

Some folks have the mic out in the open while other's hide it behind the glove box door. The ones that have it in the open are those that have the SGS with the media outlet on the false left glove compartment door. I chose to mount mine inside of the glove box. I took the glove box out of the fairing and drilled a hole just large enough to slide the mic through the back of it. I then closed it out with a rubber grommet.

There is plenty of room to route the wires and tie them up nice under the fairing. I chose to leave my speakers attached but I don't see why you couldn't just cut them off.

No changes to the Boom setup was required for this and audio is still piped out of my speakers and not up to the hidden headset. All in all, I will keep this until HD comes up with a way to be totally wireless. And, while I was in there, I relocated my HD garage door transmitter. I velcroed it to the top of the amp. This instantly added 30 feet to the range that my garage door would pick it up. Before, I used to have to stop on my driveway about 10 feet away and click the high beams. Now, I can do it while I am cruising up the street and strait in to the garage without stopping. I think the big metal tang that held it in place was causing the range issue.

Here are some pictures:

The following users liked this post:
BrownSanta (03-17-2016)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Mister Breeze
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job! Exactly what I've been looking for, as I don't wish to wear a headset for the very few times I will need it.

Anyone know if this also works for a non CVO? Have a 14 Limited, I'd like to adapt this to. As long as the plug is there, I'll drill and gromlet the access hole.

What's the cord cost, if you don't miss mind me asking?

And one more question....the other ports will still work if needed for passenger to rider intercom?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

FinalShot, are you using the PTT switch for all your communications (CB, Voice Commands, & Phone) or were you able to some how adjust the VOX settings for Voice Commands & Phone? I'm assuming you are using the PPT switch. Does that mean that everything that you say during a phone call or when using voice commands is transmitted over the air when the CB is on? Would the same thing happen if you need to use the PTT switch with the Intercom and the CB was on? I'm curious because I know that I am able to use the HD handheld mic for voice commands, to make a call, and for the intercom but it requires pressing the button on the side of the mic to activate the mic. To use the handheld mic for the CB requires that you press the button on the mic and ALSO press the PTT switch which makes if impractical to use for the CB.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

Google is my friend
Found the price of the cord at about $70....
Gonna give this mod some serious thought....wondering if it would work even better mounted outside...

I was originally looking for a stand alone mic to plug into the tank port, thinking it would be closer. Also thought it could be quickly stowed away, when not wanted. Your idea I like as it's always available and hidden when unused.

The following users liked this post:
BrownSanta (03-17-2016)
Old 03-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this information. I have been thinking about this for the cell phone Bluetooth function on my SG!

Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mister Breeze
Nice job! Exactly what I've been looking for, as I don't wish to wear a headset for the very few times I will need it.

Anyone know if this also works for a non CVO? Have a 14 Limited, I'd like to adapt this to. As long as the plug is there, I'll drill and gromlet the access hole.

What's the cord cost, if you don't miss mind me asking?

And one more question....the other ports will still work if needed for passenger to rider intercom?

Thanks!
As far as I can tell, it would work jsut fine for you. I know they place this in the CVO and SG, I can't see why not on the limited too. The cost of the cord was $69 for probably a $6.90 cord. It can be had at your discounting dealers.

I plugged in the other headset I have and it worked just fine. I cannot tell you if plugging in a third would cause any problems but looking at the drawings, I don't see that it would.

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
FinalShot, are you using the PTT switch for all your communications (CB, Voice Commands, & Phone) or were you able to some how adjust the VOX settings for Voice Commands & Phone? I'm assuming you are using the PPT switch. Does that mean that everything that you say during a phone call or when using voice commands is transmitted over the air when the CB is on? Would the same thing happen if you need to use the PTT switch with the Intercom and the CB was on? I'm curious because I know that I am able to use the HD handheld mic for voice commands, to make a call, and for the intercom but it requires pressing the button on the side of the mic to activate the mic. To use the handheld mic for the CB requires that you press the button on the mic and ALSO press the PTT switch which makes if impractical to use for the CB.
I am using PTT for the PTT functions and just regular talking for the cell phone. It's just like using my car. If I want to change a radio station, I have to push the PTT button but while on the phone, you can just talk and no reason to push a button. I had thought about using the HD handheld mic but didn't like the idea of having to keep pushing the button.

Google is my friend
Found the price of the cord at about $70....
Gonna give this mod some serious thought....wondering if it would work even better mounted outside...

I was originally looking for a stand alone mic to plug into the tank port, thinking it would be closer. Also thought it could be quickly stowed away, when not wanted. Your idea I like as it's always available and hidden when unused.
When I was thinking last night going to bed, I was getting real creative. I was thinking it would be cool to have a mic on a roll up wheel....

Last edited by FinalShot; 03-07-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

"I am using PTT for the PTT functions and just regular talking for the cell phone. It's just like using my car. If I want to change a radio station, I have to push the PTT button but while on the phone, you can just talk and no reason to push a button. I had thought about using the HD handheld mic but didn't like the idea of having to keep pushing the button."

Thanks for the reply. That's great that you don't need the PTT switch to talk on the phone. Do the VOX settings have any effect on the mic? I have no experience at all with the HD headsets and/or the intercom.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

Originally Posted by FinalShot
As far as I can tell, it would work jsut fine for you. I know they place this in the CVO and SG, I can't see why not on the limited too. The cost of the cord was $69 for probably a $6.90 cord. It can be had at your discounting dealers.

I plugged in the other headset I have and it worked just fine. I cannot tell you if plugging in a third would cause any problems but looking at the drawings, I don't see that it would.

I am using PTT for the PTT functions and just regular talking for the cell phone. It's just like using my car. If I want to change a radio station, I have to push the PTT button but while on the phone, you can just talk and no reason to push a button. I had thought about using the HD handheld mic but didn't like the idea of having to keep pushing the button.

When I was thinking last night going to bed, I was getting real creative. I was thinking it would be cool to have a mic on a roll up wheel....
Exactly! I was fishing for that idea here a while back....similar to those that I used on my 13 to connect my phone to the auxiliary port in the stereo.
So....you're using the PTT button for radio changes, not the voice command button?
Haven't really played with mine much, but was using the voice command button to use GPS (sucks most of time), and changing songs,artists,etc. on the USB stick. I cut the speakers off a headset and just put the mic on my half helmet.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:03 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Exactly! I was fishing for that idea here a while back....similar to those that I used on my 13 to connect my phone to the auxiliary port in the stereo.
So....you're using the PTT button for radio changes, not the voice command button?
Haven't really played with mine much, but was using the voice command button to use GPS (sucks most of time), and changing songs,artists,etc. on the USB stick. I cut the speakers off a headset and just put the mic on my half helmet.
Sorry, I got my buttons confused. I was using the voice recognition button to control the Boom system.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Mister Breeze
Tourer

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Sorry, I got my buttons confused. I was using the voice recognition button to control the Boom system.
OK cool...like I say, I'm a newb on this tech stuff. I think the PTT is for CB and intercom use between rider and passenger. 95% of the time I' m solo anyway, but as age has taken it's toll on my hearing.....MIGHT want to hear the wife on long rides. Just can't stand wearing a headset.

Quick Reply: Cell & Voice Without Helmet Mod