Sponsored by:

Educate me- communication.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Educate me- communication.

I sold the headset that came with my Limited. Now wish I hadn't... having the ability to answer the phone to and from work makes it where I have to be in the office an hour or 2 less per day.... which is huge, since I work 12 hour shifts, and have 3+ hour of commute every day, for 8 days in a row.

Here's where I am:

Thinking of buying a quality full face helmet, for the reason of adding a communications headset.

Future consideration: the wife usually rides her own, but due to finances, she is bikeless, and on the back of mine.

We've ridden for years using hand signals...

Am I farther ahead getting a system that plugs into the Harley, and use the phone through there, or am I further ahead simply going with a Bluetooth unit, and pairing my phone directly?

I have 2 phones that I carry daily, and want to be able to pair both whichever way I go. My Jawbone ear pieces work great for this.... in the truck.

I like that I can see who is calling on the bike screen, but that isn't a deal breaker.

TIA for your thoughts....

Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,400 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Subscribed... I don't typically wear a helmet in state, but looking for a way to possibly answer my phone while on the bike (at least to my wife). Maybe thinking about figuring out a way to just wire a mic and listen through the speakers.

The way I deal with it now is, I answer the phone through the bike, if she needs something urgent, she says call me back. If she's just calling to check in on me or wants me to bring something home, she'll just say call me when you get stopped.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:56 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Harley headset on my 1/2 helmet and have a 2nd set in my wife's modular helmet. I put the Harley headset pouches on my helmet and the speakers slide into them.

I only use the headset for phone and rider communications, and it sounds better at 80 mph than any of my cars with wireless bluetooth. IMHO, it works very well.

I like the system because I can make calls using voice control, and incoming calls automatically mute the stereo. There are plenty of options out there, but if you don't mind having the wire handing from your helmet, the factory option is as good or better than most.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM
cruzrtwdgt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not get the HD headset to mount properly on the 3/4 helmet I had. I bought an HJC IS2 Max from J&M (www.jmcorp.com) that already had it in it. A little expensive but worth it to me. I get work calls from customers quite a bit and need to take them sometime. This helps.

Now, when I just want to ride, I just shut the dang phone off.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

We use J&M Elite headsets in our helmets. Sound/stereo quality is excellent, accommodating intercom, CB, stereo, GPS, Bluetoothed iPhone and my iTouch plugged into the USB port. The J&M headsets require that you buy their HD-specific down-cord to plug them into Harley's system. Works flawlessly. My phone Bluetooth pairs to the Boombox system seamlessly and life is good.

BTW - Our bike is a 2014 Ultra Limited.

Steve

Old 02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
16FXDLI
Tourer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Sena bluetooth units in modular helmets. Callers cant even tellI am riding when i am on the phone, unless i blip on the throttle. Helmet to helmet comms are outstanding as well.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the $70 J&M headsets which I consider throw away because after a short time, season or less, the tiny wires in them break and then the damn things are useless. I now buy the HD 1/2 helmet sets because you can use it in states like mine without a helmet and still have bike to bike and intercom. I have used it once on my new limited for phone bluetoothed to it and I am impressed. The boom audio solves all the issues the original poster is seeking. I use bike to bike, CB, in group riding. It is a great safety feature when used correctly in group riding situations. I have been in 150 bike runs that use this system well.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Captnpirate
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a Scala Rider G9x and connect via bluetooth. I always wear a full face and listen to my music a lot. I set up the stereo to default to headset so there is no music but I get navigation from the speakers.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Be aware, you cannot connect multiple phones via bluetooth at the same time. J&M offers hardwired head sets that are cut into the liner on Arai Signets (long oval) and presumably these could be installed in other models also. What I like about these is there isn't a bunch of crap to fiddle with hanging from the helmet - just a single port to plug in.

http://www.jmcorp.com/AraiRXQHelmets.asp

Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

If my little tiny Jawbone Icons can run 2 phones, I'm sure there is a helmet set that will.

If I'm on my personal phone, and my business phone rings, I get a beep in my earpiece, I touch the button and switch calls and phones, when I'm done, I got back to the first.

I am sure there is a unit out there that can do that.... maybe not the HD BOOM system, but something will.

Quick Reply: Educate me- communication.