National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Ride to Sturgis 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Herbj
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ride to Sturgis 2013

I am planning a ride from North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada to Sturgis. The trip will take me about 4 days and 4400 Km (2700 mi).

I haven't ridden much outside Nova Scotia or Newfoundland except to Laconia last year so the roads, weather, wildlife, traffic, etc will all be new to me.

Right now I have the trip broken down into four 1100Km (less than 700 Mi) days.

What tips do you have on what to expect on this ride.

Where is a good place to stay (hotel/motel) in or near Sturgis? Am I waiting too late to book a room?

Any other advice

My mapped journey is at... http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/427398

thanks,
Herb

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All good questions. No you are not waiting too late to book. Plenty of time for that. I would find a place in Custer or Deadwood for lodging. Take your time and pace yourself.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice ride ya got planned. I did mine first trip there 2011. Stayed in Custer, SD. Place called Chief Motel, pretty good rates. I did my trip there a couple days prior to the actual start of Sturgis. Most vendors and stuff are set up the week prior, rates are cheaper and a lot less crowded. If your in Custer, dont miss Custer State Park. Great ride and sites.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Herbj
I am planning a ride from North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada to Sturgis. The trip will take me about 4 days and 4400 Km (2700 mi).

I haven't ridden much outside Nova Scotia or Newfoundland except to Laconia last year so the roads, weather, wildlife, traffic, etc will all be new to me.

Where is a good place to stay (hotel/motel) in or near Sturgis? Am I waiting too late to book a room?

Any other advice

My mapped journey is at... http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/share/427398

thanks,
Herb
The only advice I would give is to go from NB into Maine, head south to Mass. and catch the I90 west. You'll save $$ on gas/food/lodging by traveling through the USA.

The trip down the Autoroute 20 in Quebec really blows - Quebec drivers are the worst I have ever dealt with. The Ottawa to Sault Ste. Marie leg is nice...but slow...450 miles of 50mph.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just Checked Chief Motel has couple rooms

Old 08-18-2012, 02:44 PM
knucklebucket
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

herb, I got a friend who owns a motel in spearfish just about 30 miles from downtown sturgis, he has a few rooms left and only charges like 875 for single rooms but he don't have many left. this is a good price. I would take it but I like being closer to the action so my room cost twice as much. here is link if your interested.

www.lrancho.com

Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey herb.. i'm think same for 2013 trip... if u plan to pass through montreal area,, maybe we can hook up...

Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Herbj

Any other advice

thanks,
Herb
I would cut down into the US, catch I-90 then when you get to Michigan swing up to Muskegon. Take the high speed ferry across Lake Michigan, then leave Milwaukee for Sturgis. Its about 2700 miles, a day and 18 hrs or so. Cheaper and probably will allow you to see some beautiful country.

This year we are planning on riding to Sturgis, but we'll be there the week prior leaving the morning of the 5th. Figure on getting 6 days of riding the area. Been to Mt Rushmore, the Needles, Devils Tower and the Park, so this time planning on riding the area.

Last edited by glideridemike; 12-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im looking for suggestion of hotel in Rapid city area where can park bike outside hotel in view... any suggestions.. i plan to book my hotel Jan 2013..
also looking if anyone stayed at a KOA renting a cabin.. .i see there are just beds inside.. id say pretty rough with no AC ... are there line up for toilet and showers ?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:05 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

We are planning on doing Sturgis the week before the Rally. I just reserved a room at the Chief Motel in Custer.....http://www.chiefmotel.com/index.php

Quick Reply: Ride to Sturgis 2013