Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Ride the Rockies HOG trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007 | 05:44 PM
rountree
|
Cruiser
Default Ride the Rockies HOG trip

Well I finally made the jump and made reservations for Ride the Rockies. Will be coming from Georgia and will be my first time in the Rockies. Any "must see" places while I'm out there?

We may stay an extra day or two. I had thought about riding up to Cheyenne and Laramie, but I'm open to suggestions.

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:40 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Ride the Rockies HOG trip

It is the same week that we are doing the HD Forums Southwest Rally, and we'll be in the same area as the HOG Rally. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet you on the road.

There are many must see places including the Rockie Mountain National Park which your tour will be going through. Mt. Evans South and West of denveris also a must see. It is the highest paved highway in the USA. the area around Breckenridge is also awesome.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-22-2007 | 04:42 AM
rountree
|
Cruiser

I am thinking about hauling the bike out around Colorado Springs. Thought I'd give Pikes Peak HD a call and see if they could help me with a place to leave the truck. Anyone have any experience with them or know a secure place I could leave the truck for 5 or 6 days?

Old 03-22-2007 | 01:59 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

They will let you park there, but it won't be guarded at night.

Have you considered the airport?

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:54 PM
rountree
|
Cruiser

Thanks Bob.

I thought I'd give them a call a little closer to June. Hadn't thought about the airport, but that's a good idea. Wonder if they would prohibit because of TSA issues since I'm not flying out.

Ken

Old 03-23-2007 | 12:07 AM
COLOrider
Cruiser

Shouldn't be a problem parking at the airport unless you have a trailer, i think they don't allow that in parking, TSA would have no idea if you were there to fly out or what, i park there at the COS airport weekly, think long term is 6 or maybe 8 dollars a day...

Old 03-29-2007 | 07:26 PM
Boner
Intermediate

Once you get on that bike out here, seriously it wont matter where you go it's all beautiful, you wont wanna leave. first thing I would do is get out of the Springs and head north west, you will be in awwww.

Old 04-01-2007 | 02:27 PM
rountree
|
Cruiser

Thanks guys; we are REALLY looking forward to it. Only downside might be that we might not want to come home.

We will be heading from Co Springs to Fort Collins, then back down through Rocky Mtn Park to Breckenridge, then around Cripple Creek and Vail for three days. I don't have a set plan right now; just follow the herd. We might do Pikes Peak on the way back to Co Springs. Is it worth the trip or is what we see on TV just hype?

Old 04-02-2007 | 01:10 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rountree

We might do Pikes Peak on the way back to Co Springs. Is it worth the trip or is what we see on TV just hype?
Oh, it's definatly worth the trip. It will be one of the highlights of your week. It's mostly dirt and gravel still. If you don't like that kind of roadway on your Harley, take the train out Manitou Springs.

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:45 AM
LRonHoover
Banned

ORIGINAL: rountree

We might do Pikes Peak on the way back to Co Springs. Is it worth the trip or is what we see on TV just hype?
If you don't go to the top, you won't get a pic or the patch that they have in the gift shop at the summit!

I rode to the top last Summer. There is only about a mile of unpaved road.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2841/E224786349FC4A7384F6EB623AECC444.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Ride the Rockies HOG trip