Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Travleling to Sturgis in AUGUST 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
hdultraclassic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travleling to Sturgis in AUGUST 2007

STURGIS 2007 TRIP PLANNING STAGES
Recently decided to make the journey to the Bike Week festival. Looking for some advice regarding stay at Glencoe Campsite in Sturgis.
We are not new to lng distance riding, however if any person cares to shed some light on suggseted reading and or placed to stay on the way. I am new to the forum, and appreciate feedback for avoiding the pitfalls of the long journey.
PLease advise as to the possibilbity of a Hotel or any lodging we can book within the local region.

Thanks to all
Ted

Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Travleling to Sturgis in AUGUST 2007

Glencoe is pretty wild, loud and wide open. If you are looking to party it is the place to be. Lots of good bands, lots of naked women, booze, etc. It is 2 miles from Sturgis and right across the road from the Thunder Road House. It is pricey, but has a lot to offer depending on what you are looking for.

If you want to sleep at night so you can enjoy the daytime offerings of Sturgis I would suggest a different place.

I have stayed at Glencoe, Cris' Campground in Spearfish, and the KOA in Spearfish. The latter two are reasonably quite, they are nice, have good showers and are only 17 miles from Sturgis.

There are many other offerings from mild to wild and I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not stayed at the campgrounds, but prefer to rent a house in town. Usually have eight to ten people so $3500 to $4000 a week is resonable for Sturgis. Pack our food and beer so we can eat and drink cheap. Go for rides every day, return to the house, clean up and WALK downtown. Usually STAGGER back but have never been arrested for drunk walking. LOL
I don't know of any places to stay on your route since I always come in from the west.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
truegentlemann
Cruiser
Location: i live outside Omaha Ne on the Iowa side in the Loes hills, some great places to ride

When going to Sturgis there are alot of options. from innerstate 29 i prefer to take hwy 44 into Rapid City , it is the secnic route, you get a taste of the Badlands without paying a park fee. you will need to fuel every chance you get though as the fuel stops are about 100 miles apart. once arriving in the wonderful black hills you do have many options. i have stayed in Sturgis and have stayed out of Sturgis, i prefer the out of Sturgis stay, We chose a beautiful ride each day through the black hills and wind up in Sturgis in the late afternoons (i am sure thousands do the same thing) but we get some taste of Sturgis and leave when we have had enough. if you are camping most of the campgrounds are fairly reasonable. and motels have been avaliable once arriving contrary to most beleifs. Threre are many attractions that are not in Sturgis. such as the Rapid City Harley dealer, Harley Davidson factory at the Rapid City civic center, Hill City , Mount Rushmore, and you must ride through Spearfish Canyon.
One trip to Sturgis will not be enough. But that will give you something to look foreward to.
Truegentlemann

Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Gunmen
Stage IV

Has anyone stayed at the "Steel Wheel" campground in Deadwood??

The Gunmen at www.TacticalShooting.com