Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Cassoday, KS.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Twistedking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cassoday, KS.

That was a good turn out....maybe more peopleand bikes than I had ever seen there...it was my wifes first road trip on her new nightster...and it was a perfect day for it. maybe next time we will have to try and geta group frorm here to all ride togteher. Headed to sparks in acouple weeks...woohooo.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll bet I saw you guys. I remember seeing a girl on a new Nightster with a big smile on her face right in the middle of it all trying to get through the crowd. If I were to own a Sporty I'd get one of those.
Was she wearing her long hair in a pony tail?
ORIGINAL: Twistedking

That was a good turn out....maybe more peopleand bikes than I had ever seen there...it was my wifes first road trip on her new nightster...and it was a perfect day for it. maybe next time we will have to try and geta group frorm here to all ride togteher. Headed to sparks in acouple weeks...woohooo.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Twistedking
Intermediate

That was probably her.....It was the only nightster i saw there...

Old 06-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Captain Morgan
Advanced

I made my first trip up there on my Sportster. first time ive ever been there in 3 years of riding. it was a good time, got a nice sunburn to show for it too!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Big Dog
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cassoday this Sunday........Leaving the South Topeka Toll booth at 8am sharp......

Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Marvman
Stage I

Ride Report - Cassoday Run - July 2007

Sunday morning ride to Cassoday Kansas.
Round trip mileage - approx 300 miles
Route - 56 Highway West to 177 Highway South - then reverse
(all two lane state highway)

Every first Sunday of the Month, March through October, the little farm town of Cassoday Kansas hosts a bike run. Normally a community of around 600, the event normally draws 2000 to 4000 bikes. I had been wanting to make this trip since I first heard about it. Last Sunday, I finally got to make the trip.

For the past week, eastern Kansas has been getting slammed with rain that pushed north from Texas and Oklahoma. Most of the area has received 6 to 10 inches on rain in a 48 hour period, with reports of upwards of 20 inches in the hardest hit spots.

I wasn't sure I was even going to get to go, depending on the front and if it moved on to the east or not. I also had to check on flooded and closed roads in the area. Radar showed small pockets of rain along the route. I didn't make the "go" decision until 7:00 Sunday morning.

I hit the road at 8:00 with heavy cloud cover on wet pavement. This would be the case for the entire ride down to Cassoday. 95 mileswest to Council Grove on pretty much straight, well maintained two lane road. Got passed my a group of 5 bikes that were in more of a hurry to get there than me, but no other bike traffic to speak of. With the weather being the way it was, I assumed most stayed on the interstate.

Stopped in Council Grove for gas, then headed 50 miles south on 177. This turned out to be the best part of the trip. The highway runs directly through the Flint Hills area of Kansas, a section of rolling hills covered with native grass. Well maintained road with a handfull of long sweeping turns. Face it, there are not a lot of twisty roads in Kansas. Still on wet pavement, with the clouds threatening, but still no rain has fallen.

Got to Cassoday around 11:00. Having never been here before, it can't really say how things look when its packed, but I think the weather kept a lot of people away this weekend.

Main street Cassoday Kansas

Other direction Main street Cassoday Kansas

Last shot of Main street

View from the "Scenic Overlook" on 177. Why they decided to put a scenic overlook right under the powerlines, I'll never know.

Parking area of scenic overlook, showing my bike and some of the other bike traffic on 177. Also, note the line of grass clippings on the sidewalk. At some point in the previous two days, this parking area was full of water up to that point. Perhaps earlier that morning???

Bikes going through Strong City

I'm a sucker for old train depots.

Draggin' pegs through one of the tight, twisty sections of Highway 177.

That'sall folks!

Marvman

Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pictures. Unfortunately you're right min terms of the rain keeping people home---things look kind of bare. July is usually the busiest, but with the rain not so this year.August is a little thinner than other monthsbecause of Sturgis, but still a good time to go for those not in or planning to go toSouth Dakota. September seems to be a good month. You'll have to make the trip again sometime.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing like a picture of a classically styled Harley against a classic brick building.
Great first post!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:21 PM
fuquari
Stage II
Default RE: Cassoday, KS. Benifit Run Oct 7th

A.B.A.T.E OF KANSAS DIST.12
Morris, Chase, Lyon, Greenwood and Coffey Counties
Sunday October 7th 2007
Benefit Run
Proceeds to be divided between
Dianna Carlson Owner of the Cassidy Café, she has suffered 2 tragedies, first being diagnosed with Lung Cancer that is spreading, she is currently undergoing treatment in Nashville, second the first part of July a fire destroyed the grill and vent system at the Café. She has been instrumental in the Biker Breakfast run for years, lets all show our thanks for the years she has worked to make the run such a success!!
Bill Sturm, A long time member of ABATE recently had a hip replacement and while recovering was diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), which is the most aggressive form of the primary brain tumors known collectively as gliomas. These tumors arise from the supporting, glial cells of the brain during childhood and in adults. These growths do not spread throughout the body like other forms of cancer, but cause symptoms by invading the brain. He had surgery on the 14th of August to try to remove the tumor and has a long recovery ahead.
Start at Martin Truck Service Emporia KS
First Bike out at 7:00 last out at 10:00
Next stop Cassody Biker Breakfast look for our table downtown
3rd stop at Eureka, 4th at Madison, and ending at Sodens Grove Emporia
First hand $15.00 that will include a meal at Sodens Grove
Each additional hand $5.00, Each additional meal $5.00
High Hand Wins $100.00 Second High $50.00 Low Hand $25.00
Bugs Eye Spots $1.00 each Best spot wins $25.00
50/50 tickets $1.00 each
Bike Games $5.00 each or $20.00 for all, Trophies to be awarded
The Sertoma Club of Emporia will have the Miniature train running that day with proceeds to be donated to our fundraiser
For more information contact Debi 620-340-7526 or Richard 620-342-8129All Money Collected are considered as Donations Promoting awareness of ABATE of Kansas

[IMG]local://upfiles/40611/64ED485E223E4D4EAA6024FE78EDBF2C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 PM
lilredchic
Tourer
Default RE: Cassoday, KS. Benifit Run Oct 7th

Hey Deb....

Quick Reply: Cassoday, KS.