Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Hwy 150 or Hwy 39

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
fastdeuce
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hwy 150 or Hwy 39

Memorial weekend I'm coming from NE WY to see the superbike races in Tooele Utah. Looking at the map 150 and 39 look interesting to ride. Which one is more fun to ride? I want to ride Big and Little Cottonwood canyons also. I'm staying near the airport so I want to get to the west side before the traffic gets bad. On Friday afternoon before a 3 day weekend what time do I have to get accross town by to stay alive? Thanks Fastdeuce

Old 02-20-2011, 03:59 PM
kanddr
Cruiser

Both highways are closed for the winter and may not be open for Memorial day. Both are fun rides but Hwy 150 is more scenic as it passes over the Uintah mountain range and climbs to about 11,000'.
Just be sure to check with the Utah dept of transportation before you go to see if they are open.

Traffic picks up early before a 3 day weekend so I suspect it will be pretty busy to 3pm. You can ride the traffic any time just go with the flow and keep your head on a swivel.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hwy 150 (Mirror Lake road) is a Great ride. It drops you into Kamas Ut. Like kanddr said it might not be open for Memorial weekend as it is a Snowmobile trail in the winter.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe Hwy 150, Mirror Lake Hwy opens approx. the first week of June. Hwy 39, Monte Cristo may open a week or two sooner.

Between the two rides I would highly recommend Mirror Lake Hwy.

Traffic won't be a problem for you, you will be going against the grain coming into the valley and the airport is not far from downtown.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
fastdeuce
Novice

Thanks for the info. How much time should it take to go up Big and Little Cottonwood canyons? Rick

Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Big Cottonwood takes about 30 minutes to get to the top, Little Cottonwood around 20 minutes. All depends on the traffic. If you're just riding up and back through both canyons I would think you could do it in 2 - 2.5 hours.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are both great, but 150 is the better ride. I do that one several times a year. I think it opened the week before Memorial day last year, but like has been said, check before you go.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

150 is more scenic, as said before. Monte is more technical with tighter turns and in my opinion, more fun to ride, but it's more of an out and back route well wrth the ride if you have the time.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

This is the latest info:

http://commuterlink.utah.gov/PDFCont...adClosures.pdf

Try this too:
http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=10...T,V:1673,54810

We've had record-breaking snow here in SLC this winter. Monte Cristo might be open by Memorial Day. Mirror Lake most likely will not, unless there's a record-breaking heat wave in our near future.

Personally, I think Monte Cristo is more fun of a ride. Mirror Lake is more scenic.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for posting that list of anticipated opening dates.

This thread is a reminder of how blessed we are live where we do. Hard to beat a day that starts with a morning ride up Provo Cnyon, on to the Mirror Lake Highway to Evanston then over Monte Cristo to Huntsville for a late lunch at the Shooting Star. Returning home via East Canyon and back down Provo Canyon tops it all off.

To the OP, check the updates. If you can ride 39 on your way into Salt Lake, I'd do it.

Quick Reply: Hwy 150 or Hwy 39