Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

MDA Run to Wendover

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDA Run to Wendover

I heard there were two separate crashes during the run. Anyone have any details? Updates on the riders conditions? Who's fault?

We headed out a half hour early specifically to miss the madness.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two guys in the MDA ride and 3 hurt in the Shriners Kid Ride.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=11057143

Lots of bad accidents on the big organized rides this year. Think I'll stay away for a while.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the link. I think I'm done with those group rides. I'll continue to donate and attend, I'll just hit the highway before the large group heads out.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:39 PM
DynaRider85
Advanced

Scary, didn't a lady on the Shriners get half her face ripped off? Good point on heading out before the pack.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there was a couple of bad accidents on this years MDA ride... The first 2 involved a Motor cop who went down avoiding a car at the SR201 & I-80 interchange the civilian bike went down when he wasn't paying attention and got tangled up with the downed cops bike from what we were told at the rest stop (my wife and I left way early so we could help our friends at the water stop at the rest area (CMA & Road to Freedom Biker Mission). Motor cop was basically ok and taken by ambulance the civilian was air lifted...

The second main accident which involved a guy & gal on a single bike was at the exit ramp to the Dell gas station which from what we were told (again while working at the rest area) was a really nasty one with airmed or lifeflight flying them out. We were told they came flying down the road like 80/90mph and came up on a stackup of other riders at the turn and they weaved and then hit the rumble strip and down they went sliding and grinding off everything... We were told one was a fatality and the other basically didn't have a face anymore & tons of other road rash..

No other information I can find as to who or what condition(s) :-(

bottom line it seems like these were caused by not riding alert & the second also had major speed involved and not riding smart. This is why both my wife and I usually do the same as you guys....We attend and donate (pick up our ride pins/chat with friends/etc) and then ride our own ride without the crowd.

Ride safe but thanks for supporting a great cause like the MDA.