Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Route suggestion from Denver to Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 08:36 PM
aclass
|
Road Captain
Default Route suggestion from Denver to Yellowstone

Can anybody offer some suggestions for&nbsp\\;good routes from Denver to Yellowstone that you would recommend.&nbsp\\; Never been through Colorado and we're planning a trip to Yellowstone and points Northward from VA next month.
The plan is to hit it pretty hard until Denver and then take the back roads up.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Sure would appreciate some experienced&nbsp\\;suggestions/recommendations.

Old 06-11-2008 | 08:52 PM
snohomish
Advanced
Default RE: Route suggestion from Denver to Yellowstone

South out of Denver on I-25 to Pueblo then west across Colorado on highway 50 to Grand Junction. You'll see the Royal Gorge and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. North out of Grand Junction (Fruita) through Flaming Gorge. Continue north up through Jackson Hole, the Grand Tetons and into Yellowstone. Beautiful drive with lots of changing scenery.

Old 06-12-2008 | 01:35 AM
HOGinit
Cruiser

We are making the same trip during the early part of July to arrive in Seattle area on July 11th or 12th.&nbsp\\; We are looking at going out of Denver to Boulder and across the Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park then down through Winter Park and Fraser to I-70 then to Grand Junction, Dinasuar National Monument and Chief Joseph Highway across Beartooth Pass and then to Yellowstone.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I am just starting our planning and will keep in touch if you are interested in riding part of the trip together or comparing notes on the route.

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:32 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I am in Denver. You really gotta do Estes Park then up Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake then out to Winter Park. One of the best rides through Colorado you can do. Trail Ridge Road is the highest paved road in America. Amazing wild life this time of year. We will be doing a ride along this route on Father's Day Sunday. I will post some pics.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-12-2008 | 11:04 AM
CoChise
Novice

I really enjoyed going west on I 70 to US 40 following that to Craig, where you will head north on HWY 13 to I 80 in Wyoming. Then go west to Rock Springs and take US 191 North to Jackson Hole. My wife and I both thought it was a great drive. Just another idea.

Old 06-12-2008 | 11:04 AM
JBELCHER7876
Cruiser

I took a trip with my wife last year from steamboat springs over to vernal, utah, then up past the flaming gorge on route 191 and around snake river and then stayed in jackson hole.&nbsp\\; It was the best change of scenary in a single day.&nbsp\\; then the next day we did yellowstone and finished that day in cody,&nbsp\\; if you get cody go to the rodeo, it was a good time.&nbsp\\; The next day we did the upper loop in yellowstone and then over beartooth pass.&nbsp\\; it was july and there was still snow everywhere.&nbsp\\; Awesome ride.&nbsp\\; Would love to do it again.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; the picture is along snake river.&nbsp\\; have fun, Jon

[IMG]local://upfiles/25218/B16DED71C2CB42D9AC411B50E0173F19.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-12-2008 | 12:10 PM
dubblist
Tourer

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

I am in Denver. You really gotta do Estes Park then up Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake then out to Winter Park. One of the best rides through Colorado you can do. Trail Ridge Road is the highest paved road in America. Amazing wild life this time of year. We will be doing a ride along this route on Father's Day Sunday. I will post some pics.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
He speaks the truth! Trail Ridge is nuts..wow what a view! Make sure you have plenty of brake pads for the "coast" down.

Old 06-12-2008 | 01:00 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: aclass

Can anybody offer some suggestions for&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;good routes from Denver to Yellowstone that you would recommend.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Never been through Colorado and we're planning a trip to Yellowstone and points Northward from VA next month.
The plan is to hit it pretty hard until Denver and then take the back roads up.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Sure would appreciate some experienced&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;suggestions/recommendations.
&nbsp\\;
Colorado is our favorite place to ride.&nbsp\\; So, I have a couple suggestions, though more roads than I know what to do with...
&nbsp\\;
If you go the "south-then-west" route, I would suggest heading down to Colorado Springs, then west on 24, north at Johnson Village to Twin Lakes, then west on 82 over Independence Pass.&nbsp\\; It drops you down into Aspen.&nbsp\\; Continue 82 to I-70 west, then 70 to Rifle.&nbsp\\; Take 13 north etc...
&nbsp\\;
OR go west out of Denver to Golden, then take 6 west (great road introduced to it by SFarson here on the site) to 119, then north on 119.&nbsp\\; Take that to 72 north, then 7 north to&nbsp\\;Estes Park, then west across Trail Ridge Road (34) which brings you back down and drops you off at 125.&nbsp\\; Take that northwest....
&nbsp\\;
OR go north out of Denver to Ft. Collins, then west on 14 which takes you all through Poudre Canyon (great ride!) to 125 then go north.
&nbsp\\;
Hope that helps!!!&nbsp\\; Plan for enough time to take a lot of photos and plan ahead for significant temperature changes.&nbsp\\; Both on Independence Pass and Trail Ridge Road, you'll be above the tree line and it gets cold and windy up there!!!

Old 06-12-2008 | 07:31 PM
aclass
|
Road Captain

I appreciate the helpful replies. Hopefully the weather across the Midwest will ease up before the end of July.
&nbsp\\;
HOGinit,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; thanks for the offer to ride together, I'd definitely take you up on it but we're not leaving VA until the end of July.

Old 06-12-2008 | 08:23 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Hate snow but Colorado has to be one of the best to ride!!

Quick Reply: Route suggestion from Denver to Yellowstone