Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Red River NM ... Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
kt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red River NM ... Memorial Day Weekend

About 15 of us are going again, I know before you guys start blasting me about the past years there, I have heard it all.
Anyone that hasn't gone, this is some of the best area around to ride in. We have been 3 times now & love it, we did the Salida Rally a couple yrs ago & it was a bust.

Kenny

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
hjdistl
Advanced
Default RE: Red River NM ... Memorial Day Weekend

14 of us came through your way last year on the way there. We had a really good time. We just cleared out before dark. A MC was having their get together and the cops started to roll in hot and heavy(as in a lot of them).

The funniest thingwe saw was a twin cab duelie wheelpick up truck being pulled over by a bicycle (yes the pedal type) cop.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7236/0060DA80529E49378EAF98BFA9C9686F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 AM
kt
Tourer

Harold,
We stay out west of town in a condo, spend 1 day there in town & the rest riding around the circle to various spots.
Kenny

Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM
M2hunter
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kt

Harold,
We stay out west of town in a condo, spend 1 day there in town & the rest riding around the circle to various spots.
Kenny
Went last year and had to stay in Taos. which was kind of a hassel but we are going back this year and actually got a place on main street in Red River this year. We will be riding out from Wyoming on the 23rd of May.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:39 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Just keep in mind that it is legal to kill motorcyclists in the Red River area. I refuse to give them any of my money.

Bill

Old 04-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Skullman
Tourer

I'll be going. Been there about 10 times. Friday maybe Saturday, we'll be staying in Raton NM to party down. Anyone know of any biker bars there?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 PM
M2hunter
Cruiser

I've heard the stories. Last year when we went, that Saturday we were partying in Questa and at around 6 or7 pmthey announced over the loud speaker that the HP's or local cops (whoever they were) had set up a drunk stop between Taos and Questa. Come to find out they set it up to stop the locals and was not stopping bikes. The reason I know this is because we went bywhere they were set upand I thought they were waving me in so I stopped and the cops looked at me and said we aren't here for you keep going. So I think they are really trying to get that stigma behind them. By the way, the bar we were at announced it at around 6 or 7. We went by at like 1:30 in the morning and they were still there. And I was riding in a group of about 25 bikes and nobody got hammered.

I like riding in big groups there, the more noise you make the less likely a fricking deer or elk will run out in front of you.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 PM
kt
Tourer

ORIGINAL: M2hunter

I've heard the stories. Last year when we went, that Saturday we were partying in Questa and at around 6 or7 pmthey announced over the loud speaker that the HP's or local cops (whoever they were) had set up a drunk stop between Taos and Questa. Come to find out they set it up to stop the locals and was not stopping bikes. The reason I know this is because we went bywhere they were set upand I thought they were waving me in so I stopped and the cops looked at me and said we aren't here for you keep going. So I think they are really trying to get that stigma behind them. By the way, the bar we were at announced it at around 6 or 7. We went by at like 1:30 in the morning and they were still there. And I was riding in a group of about 25 bikes and nobody got hammered.

I like riding in big groups there, the more noise you make the less likely a fricking deer or elk will run out in front of you.
Went thru the same place & was just waived thru.

We went to Salida a couple years ago after hearing the stories & it was a BUST! The riding was awesome, but the rally was a joke. Have had nothing but good times there at Red River.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 PM
hjdistl
Advanced

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been traveling a lit on the job and no time for forums.

We stayed in Clayton,NM the first night then rode to Red River through the Mountains. Stayed @ Red River for about 6 hours then to Taos. Next day to Madrid. My Dyna ate the trans in Santa Fe.(7900 miles) Dealer was open had 07 Ultra with a 103 on it and 1000 miles the sales manager had put on it. They talked turkey and I got a good trade in and good price on the Ultra. Won't go into the fact 2 of the 3 Credit agencies had me listed as deceased. (long story best told over beverages) Found out you can put a Ultra on AMEX in a pinch. Back to Clayton that night. Back to OP,KS the next day. Good trip. NM is some great country to ride in.

Not going to RR this year but plan on going back.