Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Southeast Utah

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southeast Utah

I'm wanting to put together a ride to Southeast Utah for the summer of 08 but looking at the map there doesn't appear to be much in the way of towns with lodging in the area. I am looking for someone who knows the area to help me with ride routes, lodging, gas and food stops.[/align]

Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Southeast Utah

There are motels in Moab, Bluff, Blanding, Monticello, andGreen River, as well as Kayenta, Az, and Cortez, Co. With a little planning, you should be able to find adaquate accommodations within a days ride.

Bill

Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

Thank you but let me pry a little more information out of you. What would you recommend for roads to ride and things to see. The last time I was in Southest Utah was about 40 years ago. I remember it as stunning but really don't remember much about the route we took.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

In the Southeast part of Utah ther is Canyonlands National Park Glen Canyon Recreation Area, Natural Bridges National Park, Arches National Park near Moab, 4 Corners Monument, and a short trip into Arizona will take you to Monument Valley.

If you can extend your trip to include the Southwestern section of Utah you will not be sorry. We just made a trip through Zion National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, and Arches National Park. This is some of the most stunning scenery you wil see.

Bill

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

This is what I am thinking so far. Since we will becoming out of the Texas panhandle the first night will be in Taos. The 2nd day will be 64 to Farmington and then on to Bluff for the 2nd night. 64 is a very enjoyable ride that I have done before but not all the way to Farmington.From Bluff it will be 95 through Fry Canyon to Hanksville. Then 24 toTorrey and 12 from Torrey to Escalante for the 3rd night. Then it will be through Bryce Canyon and on to 89. Once on 89 it will be South to Northern Arizonia and then to start working our way wet toward Texas with one more nightsstay that will still be determined. How's that sound so far?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I have been over all the route you are taking, and it should be a ral enjoyable trip. Don't know when in the summer you are planning to go, but even in September when we went it was pretty hot in some ofthe places you will be. July or August would sure not be a very good time to go.

Bill

Old 10-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Slowdad
Novice
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Your trip sounds like a blast. The only change I'd recommend is staying in Torrey, rather than continuing on to Escalante that same day, only because Torrey is a nice little town, with several options for the night. The ride from Hanksville to Torrey is real nice taking you through Capitol Reef NP. Not the biggest park, but some nice scenary.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
joesportster
Advanced

If you make it over to South Central/South West Utah let me know. I grew up down there and can point you in a number of good directions.