Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance rates for your bike....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:29 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,510 Likes on 554 Posts

I just got my renewal from Progressive.
full coverage for 1 year $223.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

Unless you cover point by point and are in the same geographical area, comparing rates is a waste of time.

First, many mc insurers don't include medical payments so if you get injured, you better have health insurance that covers the injuries. Many find out when the bills start coming they have many 5k in medical.

City or small town will greatly affect the rate.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awilson40
I just got my renewal from Progressive.
full coverage for 1 year $223.
Originally Posted by rscalzo
Unless you cover point by point and are in the same geographical area, comparing rates is a waste of time.

First, many mc insurers don't include medical payments so if you get injured, you better have health insurance that covers the injuries. Many find out when the bills start coming they have many 5k in medical.

City or small town will greatly affect the rate.
I will be sure and make it a point to inquire about that detail. I will add progressive to my shopping list as well.

I do live an a poorly rated county in NC, so my rates probably reflect that.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Your first try should always be the company/agent that has your car insurance. Hopefully they do bikes as well. That way you'll get a multi-line discount.

I'd have to dig out the paperwork, but I think I'm around $250/yr for full coverage on my Dyna.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Besides geographical locations, it can also be based on age, driving record, type of motorcycle. I live in rural America, have a good driving record and I have been with Progressive for 9 years (since I got my bike ) and I only pay around $360 for full coverage and my rates haven't changed since the day I bought her. My auto insurance company wanted to charge me over $1000 per year and I thought, screw that. It pays to shop around and that's what I did.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

double post for some reason.

Last edited by SPRINGER; 08-19-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: for some reason, it was a double post.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Your first try should always be the company/agent that has your car insurance. Hopefully they do bikes as well. That way you'll get a multi-line discount.

I'd have to dig out the paperwork, but I think I'm around $250/yr for full coverage on my Dyna.
Originally Posted by SPRINGER
Besides geographical locations, it can also be based on age, driving record, type of motorcycle. I live in rural America, have a good driving record and I have been with Progressive for 9 years (since I got my bike ) and I only pay around $360 for full coverage and my rates haven't changed since the day I bought her. My auto insurance company wanted to charge me over $1000 per year and I thought, screw that. It pays to shop around and that's what I did.
My car insurance quoted me a rediculous amount, somethin like a grand. I have a great driving record

Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Harley711
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Progressive. Rate sounds about the same, possibly Progressive a bit lower.

I have had very good experience with Progressive. Hit an un-posted 2" deep slag road at 45 mph. Went down. Harley was totaled by Progressive. Quick handling of claim, no negatives, fair settlement.

I've had 3 other times when I was stranded and needed a tow truck. Progressive got one there very quickly each time.

No, I don't work for Progressive, just like them.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harley711
I have Progressive. Rate sounds about the same, possibly Progressive a bit lower.

I have had very good experience with Progressive. Hit an un-posted 2" deep slag road at 45 mph. Went down. Harley was totaled by Progressive. Quick handling of claim, no negatives, fair settlement.

I've had 3 other times when I was stranded and needed a tow truck. Progressive got one there very quickly each time.

No, I don't work for Progressive, just like them.
Good to know, Thank You

Do you recall your yearly rate and what model bike do you own?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

I went to my auto insurer after trading my sporty for my Dyna. $360 a year with $250 ded,all same coverage as my autos, and gap for my loan. Progressive was maybe $25 year cheaper and doesn't offer gap. Although my bike will slowly gain equity over loan period I financed 100% and that gap coverage is nice to have in case something does happen the loan is paid off.
Before my Dyna Progressive was way cheaper on my sporty.

Quick Reply: Insurance rates for your bike....