Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Uninsured/Underinsured a good idea? (TX)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM
jayc67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uninsured/Underinsured a good idea? (TX)

To add this coverage on is an additional $377 a year through progressive for coverage that matches my regular liability (100/300).

Extremely high it seems. I go back and forth on whether to keep this or not.

Knowing how many idiots are on the road uninsured I've kept it the last couple of years since i am riding more, but man that's a lot of dough.

I have good medical coverage through work so I am wondering if I should let this go and let that be primary if I'm hit by an uninsured person?

Do you guys buy this coverage or not?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
bigjosh42
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is required here in Maine, so I have no choice. That said, I am a motorcycle damage appraiser for one of the large bike insurance companies. I would 110% recommend having it. I don't handle injury claims (I like twisted metal, NOT twisted bones!!), but I do know about luibility and insurance. Besides it covering the medical bills, UM/UIM will also cover lost wages, pain and suffering, etc. just like another person's bodily injury liability insurance would cover you (if they had it). Just my .02, but I have see too many people get screwed or haveto deal with the court system for years to see very minimal payments made to them.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjosh42
It is required here in Maine, so I have no choice. That said, I am a motorcycle damage appraiser for one of the large bike insurance companies. I would 110% recommend having it. I don't handle injury claims (I like twisted metal, NOT twisted bones!!), but I do know about luibility and insurance. Besides it covering the medical bills, UM/UIM will also cover lost wages, pain and suffering, etc. just like another person's bodily injury liability insurance would cover you (if they had it). Just my .02, but I have see too many people get screwed or haveto deal with the court system for years to see very minimal payments made to them.
I used to be in the insurance biz and agree 100% with teh above.

One thing to remember is when someone with UM/UIM invokes the coverage the insurance company treats that person like a 3rd party claimant, not an insured.

Sammi