Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive Ins claim

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Ins claim

Wife and I just got into a accident last weekend. "New" back tire blew going down the x-way at about 50mph. Anyway I took the brunt of injuries, wife just has a little road rash. Progressive is telling me that the personal injury coverage does not cover us. Only if we injured someone else,
Now we had some friends that pretty much got into the same situation and he wife who was on on the back was able to claim under the PI..

Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Progressive and just went through a claim for a totaled bike and injuries due to a deer hit within the last month. My injuries are covered by the "Medical Payments" portion of my coverage - up to the limit of $5,000. Higher medical coverage limits can be purchased at higher cost, but the $5K is their standard starting point. Fortunately, my injuries were not severe and I will not exceed the $5K limit. If I had, my normal health insurance coverage would kick in after $5K.

The "Bodily Injury" portion of the policy is for injuries to others if I was at fault in an accident that injured someone else. It does not cover the rider or passenger according to the policy declaration. It specifically labels this coverage as "Liability to Others".

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

*edit* On second thought, I am not 100% sure on whether PI covers the passenger or not. I don't have the entire written policy with me. It is possible that a passenger is included as an "Other" in the "Liabilities to Others". Good question...

Last edited by LeadSSled; 07-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

A lot of riders are under the misunderstanding that their motorcycle insurance includes healthcare coverage for injuries sustained by the rider, and in this case, the passenger. Most, if not all, do NOT include medical coverage, and if they do, its a minimal amount. Your "normal" medical insurance picks that up. For riders with no medical insurance, well, they are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Not sure about laws on this, whether medical insurance required or not.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default PIP In NJ

In NJ, if you want to cover yourself for personal injury (and passenger) YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE IT in addition to the normal liability insurance. There is a maximum dollar amount of $500,000.00 that you are allowed to purchase. Waiving the right to collect for personal injury is a common error made by a lot of riders, thinking that they are saving big dollars on insurance costs. In NJ, when a knowledgeable lawyer looks at your policy to see your coverage, THE ONLY THING HE IS LOOKING FOR IS TO SEE IF YOU PURCHASED THE ADDITIONAL PIP COVERAGE! Here in NJ, without it, your screwed!