Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Best insurance rates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Allstate. $330 for the year, with the "pay upfront" discount. 2009 FXDB.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGelvis
Ok, I used the search function and did find some answers to my question. Problem is, those threads are 2 years old!

I would like to know what MC insurance is available out there right now. Who has the best service and who has the best rates?

I have been with Progressive for over 3 years and just got slapped in the face with a $1650 premium for a 2012 FLHTK and 2012 FXDC!
Never had a claim and both our driving records are clean.

Last bike was $550 a year, what gives?

Progressive pulled the same crap on me. I traded my 11 RG in for a FLHTK and my price almost doubled? Checked around and Geico was only about $50 more than I was paying on my RG,and with a lot better coverage. I guess Progressive is hitting the pocket of the customers to pay for more hair spray for Flo.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've asked this before, and saw many other with the same question and the best response is:

It's different for everyone even between different companies. Everyone has a different life, values, and limits they set within their policy.

I have progressive now, but also I used Markel, Rider, Geico, and something else I think. The changes in my life changed the prices... going from renting to owning a home. Have multiple bikes, other vehicles or home on the policy, things not on the policy.. etc. Where you live, a garage, another driver in the house, taking the safety course, history with one company and other things also play a role. Don't forget your coverage... I have high limits set and I have full tort(I have the option), towing, parts coverage, and so many other details play a role too.

So this is not an easy question to answer. Rates are very specific to you, your needs.

I wouldn't ask which company has the best people either.... cuz thats hit or miss depending on who you talk to and the rep that represented someone as well.

The best bet is to call around to places that have local reps and don't go by just online prices. Find the prices you like the most, then ask local people to tell you what they think of these companies, reps, etc. Cuz my rates here in PA for what I have and the rep I use is not the same as yours so ya can't really go by my numbers if I gave em to you anyhow.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Rotlex
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Progressive pulled the same crap on me. I traded my 11 RG in for a FLHTK and my price almost doubled? Checked around and Geico was only about $50 more than I was paying on my RG,and with a lot better coverage. I guess Progressive is hitting the pocket of the customers to pay for more hair spray for Flo.
My earlier post said the same thing in regards to Progressive vs Geico. It really annoyed me as I have had a bike insured with them for 15 or so years. Talk about NOT having loyalty to a loyal customer.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 317 Posts

Trying to compare insurance rates with others is almost impossible.
There are just too many factors involved. Location, Age, Bike, Driving Record, and even credit scores are starting to come into play with most these days.

That said, I just got a quote from Progressive for my 2011 Street Glide.
They wanted $387 for a year of full coverage ($500 deductible comp and collision).

I am not switching, because that is more than I am paying for the same coverage through State Farm.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess every state and every individual is different. I was surprised when I got my 2010 RKC that Progressive actually charged me less than the Dyna I traded in even though the RKC was worth about twice as much. I pay less than $400 a year and it Progressive was cheaper than Dairyland or Allstate or State Farm. YMMV

Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with MC insurance is that they figure (in the words of a Progressive co agent) that 2-3 thousand miles a year is the average. What gives with that? I can put that on in a month. I have progressive, just got a renewal for $404.00 on my 2012 Road Glide, I went through an independent broker, don't go direct with any company you're only asking to be shafted if you do.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rider Insurance here. $300 a year on 2008 FLHX. Before this, I have Progressive, then Celina. Progressive was the highest @ $1300/year!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Mine

State Farm $528.14 per year $250 deductible comp&collision 2008 Ultra. Have been with them forever with all toys, home, autos, truck and have had a few claims and ALWAYS been taken care of no questions asked. Look into your deductible amounts. Was very little difference between $250-500-1000 deductible and we all know it takes about 2 seconds to wreck $1000 worth of stuff on on of these. My 02 or 528.14
Kris

Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just got off the phone with Dairyland. F***Flo. $300 less than HD Progressive same full coverage. I feel good but Fkd for the last year. Won't do cars or houses in VA.

Quick Reply: Best insurance rates?