Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

State Farm says No Buying on Saturdays

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry State Farm says No Buying on Saturdays

So I went to the stealer to buy some fork oil for my '03 Superglide, and started browsing at the used bikes on the way to the parts counter. My wife just bought a sporty from them, and we were shooting the **** with the sales guy who sold it to her. He shows me an '06 Electraglide Classic, and we crunch the numbers, figure selling my bike outright and I got the bike. Approved by the bank, no problems, all I need to do is get proof of insurance, while they run some rags over it, top it off, etc. Call my State Farm agent, being Saturday, automatically switched to after hours number. I get a sweet sounding female, and walk her through the cheatsheet the dealer gave me to tell them what info I needed faxed. After spelling electraglide three times using the phoentic alphabet the third time, she tells me the info with policy number, bank, and expiration date will be faxed in ten minutes. Things are looking up. 5 minutes later, finance guy comes out shaking his head. Info is jacked up, instead of policy number, I get the VIN in that spot, no bank, and no lapse date. Call them back, get cut off. Call back again, get broken English guy, after explaining what I need for ten minutes, he tells me he can't send my policy expiration date in a fax, only my agent can. Arguing does no good. Company policy, a bunch of "veddy soddy seeeniore" Finance guy gets on the phone with them, I walk away and just see his forehead turning purple as the conversation goes on. Call up Progressive, get a professional, 3 minutes later and a $300 dent on my credit card, and proof of insurance is faxed. By now, the bike has been just about detailed and they could have rebuilt the engine. The sales guy is polite, but you can tell i have been assing his A.O. way to long. The whole episode with these State Farm assclowns takes about 2 1/2 hours. Has anyone else had problems with State Farm? Just because my agent is up at Put in Bay on his yacht, does that mean no one buys vehicles on Saturday?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last I knew, you have about a week to let them know you got new wheels. My dealers, both car and bike, have let me roll knowing I have a current state farm policy on my vehicles, and they just leave a message at the agents office. No hesitation, no faxes, just go...

Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeezzee that sucks! I have had State Farm for 25 years, Have had the Same agent the whole way and have everything ,Home , my truck,her SUV, both Bikes and the boat. Never one problem.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had no problems with state farm. When I have purchased on the weekends, i always follow up with an email to my agent.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 AM
rcollinsdad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had my car insurance with State Farm since i was 16 and my home owners almost 28 years. When i was going to get my bike I called them three days before to find out exactly what I needed to provide and how much it was gonna cost me and i almost had another heart attack sitting at his desk. Then when i asked him how much medical coverage there was, he kind of snickered and said oh you won't be able to get medical on motorcycle insurance. went straight home and got on with progressive and in a matter of minutes had the maximum coverage they would offer with the lowest deductible available at well less than half the cost of State Farm. As you can tell by my years of service with State Farm I know you pay a little more for their services but any time i needed it they have came thru for me. I'm hoping this will not bite me in the **** down the road.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM
rgbch3b
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ 1 with State Farm !

Old 05-30-2011, 10:23 AM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my bike a month ago on a Saturday. You are covered and have a few days to get the info about the bike to State Farm. The same day I got the bike, I emailed my agent with the details she'd need. She called me the following Monday and said she had faxed proof of insurance to my dealership.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, if you had carried your SF ID Card with you could have presented that to the dealership and saved yourself the 2.5 hours. All SF auto (or bike) policies carry a newly acquired provision for physical damage IF you have Comprehensive & Collision on an auto (bike) you own and insure with the company, and this is common knowledge in the car (bike) buying industry. The window allowed is 30 days from the date of acquisition; when the separate policy gets written for the new bike the effective date is backdated to the the day you got the auto (bike). In your case, given that your '03 SG was very likely paid for its possible that your SG policy didn't have Comp (noted by the letter "D" on your ID card) and Collision ("G" on the card) hence the hiccup; however, if it did have D&G then the dealer should have taken a copy of the card for the time being and sent you on your merry way with the '06.

Second-- as you observed, many SF agents aren't open on weekends, so calls (claims or otherwise) to their offices get routed to a call center (I know of one in Bakersfield CA) which are typically staffed by licensed Cust Svc Reps; however, not all have the same level of expertise, obviously. I know one time I called SF on a weekend I ended up educating the CSR on basic "Insurance 101" stuff.

Third-- SF hasn't offered Medical coverage on their bikes for many years for obvious reasons (including passenger exposure to injury) as it really isn't their game to insure "bikes only"; the main focus is the home & auto which then often helps the agent pick up the life, umbrella, boat (if you have one), disability, commercial (small business, if you own one), etc.

Last edited by TRacer; 05-30-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:42 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

seems the problem is with the finance guy at the dealership. you say that you had recently bought another bike from them? they should know about the grace period to notify the insurance co.. the dealer should have made a copy of your insurance card--called to verify that it was current-and let you have the bike. don't blame state farm...they are high priced but reliable. blame the dealer.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 AM
michael95688
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have GEICO and you can get a new bike covered in about 5 minutes online a on their website and get it sent via mail, email or FAX instantly. Glad you finally got it done.

Quick Reply: State Farm says No Buying on Saturdays