Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Doing an insurance claim- will it increase the cost of my insurance a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing an insurance claim- will it increase the cost of my insurance a lot?

As some of you might know a friend of mine dropped my bike and I'm just going to go through insurance. I think it will be the best way since I'll be able to fix every little thing that broke. So my question is: How does the whole process work? I've never done an insurance claim on anything before...not even my car. Will insurance pay for everything damaged? If it's heavily scratched, does it count as damaged? Will my premiums skyrocket after I do my claim? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The weather is going to start getting better in Chicago and I want to ride my bike again!

I have a '11 Sportster 48 btw

Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made a claim about two weeks before my policy expired and my premium actually went down upon renewal (even including a speeding ticket during the previous policy period). Since my premium went down, I lowered my comprehensive and collision deductibles to $50 each and am still paying less than my previous premium. They were at $250 each.

As for scratched parts, my adjuster accounted for those. My engine guard and slip-ons were lightly scratched and he included the replacement cost in the payout. The adjuster came out, surveyed and inventoried the damage, and stroked me a check on the spot which included estimated labor charges. I'm fixing the bike myself so I spent some of the labor money on a lift table and other goodies. Had I opted to have the dealer or an indy do the work, any charges not covered by the check would have been handled directly between the insurance company and repair shop.

I have Geico, BTW.

Last edited by inswva; 05-17-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
polizei
Cruiser

I made a claim on my car one time, along with a few tickets, and my rates have never increased because of that. However, I would call your agent and confirm this before you actually decide to make a claim. I have Nationwide BTW.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced

I'll claim it in a few weeks. I would expect the rates to go up but if they stay they same that's even better. I just hope that don't go from harley prices to hayabusa prices!

Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
br401k
Cruiser

tell them someone hit it in a parking lot if the scratches arent all dragged out. then you should have no worries

Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

I made a claim about a year ago on my iron , but I didn't took it to the dealer to it in to an Indy shop and he over price on repairs and afterwards I had extra money to mod , like a new set of pipes and other stuff , had to paid the deductible , and it only whent up 75 bucks a year but they told it will go down next year when I renew the policy

Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mikeyypl
I'll claim it in a few weeks. I would expect the rates to go up but if they stay they same that's even better. I just hope that don't go from harley prices to hayabusa prices!
You dumped your bike once because you forgot to unlock the fork lock before trying to ride off, then your friend dumps it while riding it on a wet surface, and now you're going to wait a few weeks to file the claim even though you state that the weather where you live will start to get nice soon and you want to ride your bike. And before that it seems that you were thinking about repairing it yourself, or filing a claim and taking a cash settlement hoping the Ins. Co. would total it rather than repair it, etc. etc.
Good heavens why not just man up and tell your Ins. agent what happened and when it happened and take it on the chin. Because what I suspect you are contemplating would be considered Insurance fraud. No?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
mikeyypl
Advanced

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
You dumped your bike once because you forgot to unlock the fork lock before trying to ride off, then your friend dumps it while riding it on a wet surface, and now you're going to wait a few weeks to file the claim even though you state that the weather where you live will start to get nice soon and you want to ride your bike. And before that it seems that you were thinking about repairing it yourself, or filing a claim and taking a cash settlement hoping the Ins. Co. would total it rather than repair it, etc. etc.
Good heavens why not just man up and tell your Ins. agent what happened and when it happened and take it on the chin. Because what I suspect you are contemplating would be considered Insurance fraud. No?

No. Pretty sure there are no guidelines on how to damage a bike. Or when to crash. Not once did I suggest something that would result in insurance fraud. I was simply venting because my brand-spanking new Harley got messed up. Now I have chosen a solution which is insurance. And I want to wait a few weeks because I literally just got it.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Ferminator
Advanced

Pretty sure your premium will go up when you file an "at fault claim". My premium only went down after being accident and ticket free for 3 years.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyypl
No. Pretty sure there are no guidelines on how to damage a bike. Or when to crash. Not once did I suggest something that would result in insurance fraud. I was simply venting because my brand-spanking new Harley got messed up. Now I have chosen a solution which is insurance. And I want to wait a few weeks because I literally just got it.
Don't forget to let all your friends ride it before you get it fixed.......=\

Quick Reply: Doing an insurance claim- will it increase the cost of my insurance a lot?