Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Doing an insurance claim- will it increase the cost of my insurance a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:14 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyypl
No. Pretty sure there are no guidelines on how to damage a bike. Or when to crash. Not once did I suggest something that would result in insurance fraud. I was simply venting because my brand-spanking new Harley got messed up. Now I have chosen a solution which is insurance. And I want to wait a few weeks because I literally just got it.
The reason I mentioned Insurance fraud is because in your other thread, post #34 you said something like "I'm pretty sure I'm going to lower my deductible and do a claim".
It sure sounds to me that you want to lower your deductible BEFORE you file that claim.
None of my business you might say, but if your insurance agent just happens to be on this forum reading your posts he'll know the time line, and it'll appear that you're trying to pull a fast one on the Ins. Co., it could backfire on you. And if you think agents don't do their homework you might be surprised. I know my agent pretty well and I know he seeks out info. in various ways.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

It took me filing 3 accidents before my premium went up. So I would say no yours shouldn't go up but depending on your compnay it might. I would help to tell us who you have. I use State Farm.

No I don't understand why you want to wait. Your bike is BROKE and you CLAIM when you start it that the engine is making noises. So why would you want to wait when you can't ride it the way it is? Also waiting can cause them not to allow everything to be fixed. I had a scratch in my hood I tried to claim on another accident once and they wouldn't fix the scratch because it was rusted more than the other parts.

Also technically you will have 2 claims. One for when you drop the bike and then one for when your friend dropped it. And are you going to tell them that you dumped it the second time? Or your friend? Because your friend riding your bike might not be covered.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,999 Likes on 4,190 Posts

They will raise it if you just call them and discuss it.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Insurance adjusters are not known for their stupidity. One reason my premiums are so cheap is because they figure out when someone tries to defraud them. I hope you don't think they have never heard of someone trying to do what you have publicly posted about doing.

Your policy details exactly what is covered and when it's covered. Be honest and you'll have no trouble. You may not get any money, but you won't face charges either.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced

There's a lot of good points in here that you need to do your homework on. Review your policy because an accident with your friend driving might not be covered. Lowering your deductible before making the claim or stating it was hit in a parking lot are types of insurance fraud which could result in you losing coverage entirely. It sounds like you are a new rider. If that's true an you don't have a number of accident free years under your belt, there is a good chance your premiums will go up but without knowing any details about your policy or driving history, the only person that can tell you for sure is your agent.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you waiting to make your claim so you can drop your bike again? That in it's self is fraud. You only have X many days to make a claim for an accident. best of luck.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an insurance adjuster. I don't know your policy and I don't know your claim. Nothing here represents my professional opinion or stance or that of my employer. But, generally:

In answer to your original question, your policy probably states that the insurance company will pay to restore the vehicle to pre-loss condition. That means the things that can be fixed will be fixed, and the things that can't will be replaced.

I have no idea what this will do to your premium and anyone else that tells you that they do is wrong. Premiums are calculated at the time of policy renewal and are the result of equations that resemble encyclopedias, with variables to match.

I'll claim it in a few weeks.
That's fine, as long as you're honest about the dateS of the lossES.

Not once did I suggest something that would result in insurance fraud.
Just be careful, some of this is pretty close to the line.

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
in your other thread, post #34 you said something like "I'm pretty sure I'm going to lower my deductible and do a claim"
The deductible in effect at the dateS of the lossES would most likely apply. So him lowering his rates would probably do him no good, and just increase his premium.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Also technically you will have 2 claims.
THIS.

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Insurance adjusters are not known for their stupidity.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Grammaton
I hope you don't think they have never heard of someone trying to do what you have publicly posted about doing.
QFT!

OP, you need to play this straight. Just man up and report the TWO claims for the things that happened, and you will get exactly what you deserve under the policy. If your friend being on your bike is not covered, the worst thing that will happen is you will get a letter from the company explaining why not.

But I will tell you this, if you report this as one claim, that adjuster will see two types of damage that couldn't possibly have happened from the same incident, and things will start to get toasty.

"It almost always only takes an extra 10% or less to do the right thing"

Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
webbdog8
Road Captain

Okay here is the one thing i will say about turning the claim in go get an estimate first and then think about turning it in. To determine weather or not that call your agent an talk to him about the risk reward of turning it in or post the estimate and your deductible and we can advise you

Last edited by webbdog8; 05-27-2011 at 12:13 PM.