Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Read your Formost-AARP polices!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tconnors810
The point is, yes I do think it's possible.
A motorcycle is not a motor vehicle within the meaning of the No-Fault Law.
Motorcycles are not cars and are handled differently by insurance companies.
Sucks to live in one the 12 no fault states. LOL and people say Cali if f'ed up.

Originally Posted by cowboy Harry
Well, who ever reads all the way thru, word for word, on one of these insurance papers???????
Well, if you are foolish enough not read your insurance policies all I can say is shame on you. You would be amazed at what you find. Don't expect you insurance agent to take the time out and explain everything to you. They don't have the time or inclination.

I'm betting or would least hope that most here have read their warranties. No different.

AARP car insurance is from The Hartford.

I'm not preaching, just saying if you are going to pay that much money, you best understand what your coverage is.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tconnors810
The point is, yes I do think it's possible.

There is no requirement to carry collision insurance, he owns it free and clear, no violation of any laws

A motorcycle is not a motor vehicle within the meaning of the No-Fault Law. Since motorcycles are exempt from the definition of motor vehicle, a motorcyclist is not a covered person under the No- Fault Law and is not entitled to these medical and lost wage benefits.

Medical cost are not covered without a separate rider

ATV and boats commonly have area of use clauses

In some states a separate rider is required for a passenger to be covered for medical expenses when the rider of the bike is at fault.

Motorcycles are not cars and are handled differently by insurance companies.

So yep, I think it's possible
A motorcycle is a motor vehicle and it's covered by the same motor vehicle laws as an automobile. In Michigan, if you're in an accident with an automobile, the automobile's insurance carrier pays the medical bills of the biker regardless of who's at fault. A single vehicle accident, such as the motorcycle skidding off the road, the person's personal medical coverage pays or you can buy medical coverage with the motorcycle policy. New York insurance is heavily regulated by the state and all insurers must conform to the state's regulations. I find it extremely difficult to believe that New York would allow such an exemption of coverage in a motorcycle policy. I'm a licensed insurance agent in the State of Michigan. Every states minimum coverages for liability and medical coverage is different and you cannot compare a boat policy to a motorcycle policy. What is much more possible is motorcycle medical claims can be extremely high and some claims adjuster not wanting to ruin his loss ratio bonus gave the biker this ridiculous excuse to avoid paying the claim. If it's true, it's written in the policy under exclusions and as far as I'm concerned, if it really is there, the agent better have damn well told the biker that he can't leave the state on his TOURING bike because he'd have no coverage 'cause I'd sue him. Truth of the matter is I don't believe there is an exclusion.

Last edited by barjbar; 11-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
BigTM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like he had liability only, trying to save a few bucks.T